Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Value of a 1999 FXR2  (Read 70843 times)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
Value of a 1999 FXR2
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »

Hello, I'm interested in a 1999 FXR2 at the cost of $12,500. It has 2,200 mi. and his father was the origional owner. Before taking the bike, the remover the origional oil filter and battery. He put a rack onit, screaming eagle pipes, changed the backrest but has all the origional parts. I know my wife will kill me but here is a chance to get a very low mileage FXR2 in mint condition(divorce court here we come). Can anyone help me with this situation? Is it worth the price?  Thanks, George.(631)786-6846
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:48:36 PM by gflvette2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Vaule of a 1999 FXR2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

I haven't really been following the market very closely since I got my FXR3 in March of this year, but one thing I learned back then is that prices are all over the map for these early CVOs.  Look at completed auctions on eBay to see where bikes got bid to recently and also look at some motorcycle-only "for sale" sites, such as: www.hdtrader.com, www.hogs4sale.com, www.hd4sale.com, and the the used bike inventory on www.harley-davidson.com just to name a few to get an idea of value.  Based on what I was seeing back when I was looking for a blue 3, I wouldn't put a great deal of value in what KBB or NADA says about low production bike values (though your bank may think differently).

In my opinion, though, for the miles and if it is in the condition you would expect a 2200 mile bike to be in, it is definitely priced in the ballpark at $12,500, but you'll no doubt run across some that are higher and some that are lower in price for similar miles.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :2vrolijk_21:

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »

Thanks 103, I'm not sure if i should get the bike. I'm sure it is as described but it's still alot of money to spend,especially the I have a 05 FLHTCUI. I really want the bike but I must feel that it's a deal that I won't be sorry about. Even if i paid less for it, I would still have a hard time finding a place to store it. Beside the fact that my wife is having a fit, I still would want the bike. It's georgeous. If I was sure that it would become a real collectors Item I would feel more confident it getting it. Also,it might cool my wife down. So this is my dilemma. What do you think about the purchase? Thanks, George :-\

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »

If I was sure that it would become a real collectors Item I would feel more confident it getting it. Also,it might cool my wife down.

If I may chime in here....

The "collector's item" stuff has come up before so here's my $.02 worth.  There are only a very few HD's built in the last few decades that will ever really qualify as a collector's item until they get much, much older.  There are simply too many examples of most of them.  Now sure, if you kept any bike in mint condidtion for say, 50 years in your basement, then it might resurface as a collector's item, but that means you haven't ridden (enjoyed) it.  You could do this with darn near any motorcycle, but only your heirs would get any benefit from it, and even then, you'd be better off investing the purchase money over that time and leaving the funds to them, instead of the motorcycle.

103thunder has an example of far and away the rarest CVO ever built, the blue flame FXR3.  Open message to Brian:  "Are you going to put that thing in your basement or ride and enjoy it?"  I have a feeling, he's enjoying owning it, which means he rides it.

I will admit, that if I was amazingly wealthy, I'd have some dream garage with bikes and cars in it, ones that I just plain like regardless of collector value, that I'd just polish and look at and get a kick out of owning, but unless I win the lottery.....

Me, I pondered this sort of question several years ago before I decided to "Screamin Eagle-ize" my FXR2.  Leave it stock or have more fun out of owning it?  I went with the fun and I've never regretted it.  I keep putting miles on the bike, and I know the more it has the less market appeal it will have but hey, I've enjoyed having it, and I think that if the mods are done right, the appeal in the market might shift but not necessarily go down.  Bottom line right now is re-sale just isn't part of the picture.

So after all this rambling, I would say that on the one hand, $12500 for a FXR2 is a premium price.  On the other hand it only has 2200 miles on it, which is quite low.  Back to the first hand, at some point, low miles means it has probably sat for extended periods--the gaskets for example might need replacing from age.  How are the tires (dry rot)?  As with anything, things are only worth what somebody else is willing to pay.  What is this bike worth to you?

I'm the second owner of my FXR2.  It had 13K on it when I saw it.  I was looking for a rider that had around 5K so I hesitated at the mileage, but I've since learned that, properly cared for, these things can have very long lives.  Besides, many moving parts and gaskets were replaced later on when I didn the motor makeover so I effectively re-started the life clock.  Puts a "*" factor on the mileage showing on the odometer.

Oh, and one more thing.  It's NOT worth a divorce. ;D

Good luck.  If you buy it, by all means come back and tell us about it.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »

Thanks RedFXR2.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »

If I may chime in here....

The "collector's item" stuff has come up before so here's my $.02 worth.  There are only a very few HD's built in the last few decades that will ever really qualify as a collector's item until they get much, much older.  There are simply too many examples of most of them.  Now sure, if you kept any bike in mint condidtion for say, 50 years in your basement, then it might resurface as a collector's item, but that means you haven't ridden (enjoyed) it.  You could do this with darn near any motorcycle, but only your heirs would get any benefit from it, and even then, you'd be better off investing the purchase money over that time and leaving the funds to them, instead of the motorcycle.

103thunder has an example of far and away the rarest CVO ever built, the blue flame FXR3.  Open message to Brian:  "Are you going to put that thing in your basement or ride and enjoy it?"  I have a feeling, he's enjoying owning it, which means he rides it.

. . .

Excellent!  I was hoping RedFXR2 would post in this thread.  He brings up all good points, as usual. :2vrolijk_21:

Another FXR nut that would be good to hear from would be hdfxr3.  He has bought and sold several of these bikes and would have some good comments relative to the price of the 2 you're looking at.  Hopefully, he will see the thread and post.

Now, first things first . . . to answer gfl's question of what do I think about the purchase?  Don't ask me, I have 3 bikes and cannot be looked upon to give a sane answer to that question! :shocked2: :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:  Definitely talk it over with the Mrs. (I did) and if she can come to terms with it (mine did) and you're still flipped out about the bike (I was) -- go for it!  I agree with what RedFXR2 said about the price being on the high side and that you can probably expect to spend a few bucks more on it getting it the way you want it, but at the same time, you're not going to be finding those bikes in mint condition, with low miles and still with their original owners on every street corner.  If you're looking to steal a mint, low-mileage bike, I think you're going to have to be patient for a long time and keep beating the bushes until something comes up.  I'm not that patient, maybe you are. :nixweiss:  On the other hand, here's this bike that you know about and know some of the history on right in front of you at what is not a ridiculous price, even if it is somewhat on the high side.

As far as the collectibility question and the points that RedFXR2 raised, I agree with everything he said.  Besides, if it's a collector bike you want that is always going to command a premium price, truth be known, you may already be looking at the wrong bike (too many miles) and anyway, the first time you ride the bike you're going to fall in love with it and not be able to stay off!  I posted a month or two about the activity that my 3 bikes have seen this year and the trend remains the same.  The FXR3 is the one that sees the most action on a regular basis (albeit the riding has really suffered this year due to responsibilities at work), by far.  I think the SEEG is still on the tank of gas I filled it up with before storage last fall (although I did finally run most of that out commuting to work on it last week and a few short rides over the weekend).  The SERG got 1,000+ miles put on it during a trip to the Smokies in April.  And the rest of the time it's pretty much been that rare, one of 64 built, blue FXR3.  It's just a real joy to ride. :2vrolijk_21:

Unfortunately, we can all relay our comments and experiences, but no one can help make the decision except you.  Also, no one knows the future values of these bikes.  If we did, we'd all be buying them up and putting them in the basement instead of investing in mutual funds.

Again, good luck with the decision and keep us informed about what you do.

:worthless:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »

FXR2.....

Wow you did a great synopsis.....well written and articulated....believe me you were not "rambling" you were quite specific and clear with your reflections...

103tHunDer...also you wrote a great review as well.....

I purchased my FXR2 arresting red bike on 5-21-05 with 5,400 miles out of Wyoming for $12,995.00 and felt at the time that was the best price I was going to get.  I had one that I had successfully negotiated up in WI with only 1,600 miles for a price of $15,200.00.  At the time it was a very difficult decision.....I found myself focused more on mileage as I was on pricing....I was concerned about getting the bike with the lowest mileage possible.  But at the end of the day, I realized that for me getting a bike with 5,400 miles 350 miles away for aprx $2,200.00 less as compared to putting on another 1,200 miles on the other bike bringing it home (of course one could always ship for another $650.00) with a difference of mileage it just didn't make much difference.  For me personally I would rate a bike with 2,200 miles the same as one with up to 7,000 - 8,000 miles.

Once I rode the bike home which was 335 miles....the bike had right at 5750 miles.  I turned the bike off and saw oil dripping on to my drive way.....which totally BUMMED me out....I ended up replacing gaskets in both rockers boxes all the way down to the rocker "head" gasket.  I ended up replacing the jack starter seal, and the main clutch seal as well.....the expense of which was not that costly merely my time involving labor.....In other words.....lol I purchased the bike that hadn't been ridden much and if you consider the amount given that I purchased my bike from the "original" owner as well....and he had taken 2 longer trips on the bike from 1999 - 2005 he had probably only ridden the bike 7-8 total days a year.....So just like FXR2 stated above seals do "dry out" and obviously mine had....well...everything is wonderful with my FXR2 now......So my point here is don't worry about any leaking issues all of that stuff is repairable....

There are only 622 bikes for you to pick from since FXR2 and I each own one....and it looks like you have found an owner willing to part with his and with only 2,200 miles.  As the original owner he most likely paid @ a minimum $16,995.00 + a lot more since not every dealer received one.....so he is thinking his $12,500.00 is a great value to you.  It sounds like the bike is also close to you which is a bonus as well....when I was looking for my FXR2 anywhere in the US except for Califorinia was an option for me....didn't matter.  

As for "collectability" sakes....throw that out the window....there is no collectability with these bikes....they are just a bike to ride...nothing more special about them than the fact that they are an FXR.  To me the true value about them is that they are indeed an FXR and basically are the latest "version" of one....It's a great and fun bike to ride, it's comfortable....it handles exceptionally well, it's light, and I love the color and and stance of the bike.....and when I am ready for another one "if" I ever am.....there will be someone else keeping their "harley art" in their garage until I am ready for it.....I am not sure where the bottom is for these bikes....I know exactly how you are feeling at this moment......should I or shouldn't I....but it will be no fun under any circumstance if your wife isn't ok with it....it's not worth the hurt feelings......Can you guys imagine how the "original" owners of these bikes were feeling buying them for over $18,000.00 at the time and some even more......In 2005 the price I paid above was pretty much rock bottom....

It really comes down to what you are willing to pay....I would say the value is anywhere between $9,000.00 to obviously $12,500.00 because you are considering it at that price....No one is ever "vested" into a bike they really don't have an interest in or they wouldn't obviously be considering it to begin with, thus no decision is required....A Seller never really knows the value of his bike until he puts it at a price where people will contact him at.  

The value is somewhere between $10,000 to $11,000.....but in order to get the bike for that price....you have to find a Seller that has been trying to sell his bike for awhile and has had no takers and wants to sell it more than he wants to keep it....Pricing is also dependent upon where you are at in the country as well.....It really doesn't matter what he wants to sell the bike for as much as it matters as to what you are capable and willing to pay for the bike....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:31:55 PM by FXR2evo99 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

Boy, you guys sure are right on the money in my opinion in the advice on this bike.  And now you've got me wanting one.  :o har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »

Thanks FXR2evo99, I happen to agree. I do think it's a little pricey for me ,especially with the wife directly on my tail. I think I'm going to pass on this one although i really had my heart set on it. I thank you and everyone for the valuable information. You guys are great. Maybe, just maybe he'll lower his price. But I'm not sure he would. If money wasn't an issue I wouldn't have a problem with it. But............ it is the issue. I hope, in the near future I'll find another one with a little better price.

Best Regards to all that has helped me,

George :(

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »

George, sorry to hear that, but I know you'll be back for another CVO FXR when the time is right.  I got pumped up about a yellow FXR4 that I saw about a year ago, but the timing wasn't right.  Not quite a year later I had the blue one.  Anything that's meant to be happens in due time.  'Til then, you and the wife enjoy yourselves on the '05 Ultra -- it's a great machine, too!

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:56 PM »

Thanks 103, Say a prayer for me. I hope I could get one soon. I'm not so sure it will be with the same mileage but as the saying goes" beggar's can't be choosers". I'll be looking out for another one. At this time, I would like to thank all the Guys that helped me with their advise. I value their opinions and look forward to with this group of elite people.  :)Sincerely,George.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:50:49 PM by gflvette2 »

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:33:30 AM »

Hello All, I guess I have some good (or bad)  news. The guy selling the bike  (FXR2) says he'll take $11K. It sounds like a great deal now. The only problem I have now, after reading all the replies posted here (great job guys) and looking at e-bay at prices, It appears that they are not selling at that price ($11k) either. The mileage is really great (2,200mi) but a little concern of mine is the drying out of gaskets and tires. Nine y/o tires should be replaced while any oil leaks due to gasket drying may also happen. I guess thats a wait and see deal. I looked at a FXR2 on e-bay , located in Bethpage or Seaford, N.Y. and I can tell you it's NOT in good condition. The seller has a 100% rating too! I can tell you that it has been very neglected and or abused. Rust on the chrome, scratches of the fenders and it did not start. They turned it over twice. And then a guy came out from the back and said the battery is dead. It was turning(cranking). My thoughts were if they are tyring to sell the bike wouldn't they get the bike started? No no no. He turned the key off and that was it. Why wouldn't they start it? I traveled 35 miles the look/buy the bike. If I was selling it I'd do anything possible to get it started. But they didn't so......... Buyer beware!!! I feel sorry for the guy that buys that bike described as MINT.

On another note, I'm still looking for a FXR. but after listening to you guys and doing some reasearch on my own, I don't  know if I now want the FXR2,3 or 4. I'm leaning towards the 4 although I'm not crazy about the silver motor due to it may get oxidized. But it does have dual front discs so thats a plus. The 3 has the black motor but it has a single disc front brake. So I'll look for the best possible deal and go for it.  Thanks Again, You guys have a Wealth of Information that I respect.  Best, George. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:10:56 AM by gflvette2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »

The guy selling the bike  (FXR2) says he'll take $11K. It sounds like a great deal now. The only problem I have now, after reading all the replies posted here (great job guys) and looking at e-bay at prices, It appears that they are not selling at that price ($11k) either. The mileage is really great (2,200mi) but a little concern of mine is the drying out of gaskets and tires. Nine y/o tires should be replaced while any oil leaks due to gasket drying may also happen. I guess thats a wait and see deal. I looked at a FXR2 on e-bay , located in Bethpage or Seaford, N.Y. and I can tell you it's NOT in good condition. The seller has a 100% rating too! I can tell you that it has been very neglected and or abused. Rust on the chrome, scratches of the fenders and it did not start. They turned it over twice. And then a guy came out from the back and said the battery is dead. It was turning(cranking). My thoughts were if they are tyring to sell the bike wouldn't they get the bike started? No no no. He turned the key off and that was it. Why wouldn't they start it? I traveled 35 miles the look/buy the bike. If I was selling it I'd do anything possible to get it started. But they didn't so......... Buyer beware!!! I feel sorry for the guy that buys that bike described as MINT.

On another note, I'm still looking for a FXR. but after listening to you guys and doing some reasearch on my own, I don't  know if I now want the FXR2,3 or 4. I'm leaning towards the 4 although I'm not crazy about the silver motor due to it may get oxidized. But it does have dual front discs so thats a plus. The 3 has the black motor but it has a single disc front brake. So I'll look for the best possible deal and go for it.  Thanks Again, You guys have a Wealth of Information that I respect.  Best, George.

George.....

You can put dual front brakes on any bike it just takes some money....lol...meaning that if you are not sure you appreciate the "silver engine" your pretty much stuck with that.....if you have read my other posts....I changed my front tire from the 21" to a 19".  I put FXR convertible bags on my bike also....my point is you can "do things" to your bike....so don't get caught up in the "features" of these bikes because you can mix and match....both FXR2 and I are running the FXR3 seat on our bikes as a point of reference...

I knew if I said any price range it might "solidify" your position....listen....If I were desiring an FXR and could get the FXR2 arresting red with 2,200 miles I would BUY IT NOW...lol with my "wife's blessing" of course.....HOLD THE HORSES the guy came down $1,500.00 to $11,000.00.  Actually I am surprised he came down.....sounds like you have found a Seller that plans on seperating himself from his FXR2.  It also sounds like he purchased it for the "collectability" of the bike....and now sees the economy going in the tank along with his "investment"......Let me say this.....this FXR2 bike is the bike I have spent the LEAST amount of HD "chrome" and do-dads for.....as everything is pretty much on it....I could go through all of the list but it's in other posts if you want to find them.....my point here is....after the purchase you really only need to purchase perhaps and I say "perhaps" because you won't have to...but you may purchase a different pipe, a different cam....maybe some leather bags....maybe a different seat.....but you won't be buying "chrome" it's got it all on it....That's a very fair value he is offering the bike at.....and let me say this about E~BAY....E~Bay is about "whole sale"....

You are right about one thing....you almost need to do a "matrix" and decide which model you want before starting the search or you will get totally confused.....so that would be a good decison.....learn about the bikes and then make your decision about which model first....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »

Hello Red FXR2, FXR2evo99, 103HunDer and all.  Well here's the low down on a FRX4 that I was also considering before the FXR2. It has 11,500 mi. Tangerine Orange and..........Hooker street troublemaker exhausts, D&M twisted Air Cleaner, Mikuni 45 mm Chrome Plated Carb, Adjure Headlight, side mounted license plate frame w/led Brake light, lay down rear taillight and custom mirrors. Also the Heads have been Diamond Cut. He has all the original parts. He doesn't know what was done prior to his purchase. He is the second owner. He put new brakes and all fluids were changed < 200mi ago.  Tires are almost new. He has all the receipts. There is a small dent on the front fender about the size of a quarter that doesn't stand out unless it is pointed out. He will throw in a slash cut front fender and an extra FXR4 tank( yellow pearl) He states he has $23K invested as its all chromed out. He was going to take $14K. I can not afford it at that price so he will take my new Honda Snowblower ($2,600+tax, my cost it has a tracks) and I have 2- 1800's antique rifle's. I paid $1k each) Plus $12,000 cash. He said he will take $14,000 cash or 12K with all my goodies.  He paid $17k three yrs. ago and added approx $5K in chrome/or parts. So the 2 w/ 2,200 mi or the 4 w/ 11,500 loaded with alot of goodies. I don't remember if I mentioned  that he will give all the original parts, corbin seat,cover original oil filter and battery.  The 4 is all chromed out but 11,500 mi.  What a dilemma! So, what do you think?

Thanks for your opinion , George :-\
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:17:44 AM by gflvette2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »

LOL, sounds like confusion has set in for our friend George.  I can't tell you what to do, but I can say that I would be more interested in the 2.  $1,000 less, lower miles, you get to keep your snowblower for another season and your prized guns.  Also, that bike's history is cleaner with being in the same family all its life and being closer to stock is a plus, at least to me, too.

In general, as for the differences between the 2, 3 and 4 - they're so visually different to me as to be fairly polarizing just with the paint color and graphics and wheels between the 3 models.  Which one appeals to your eye the most?  That's probably the one you ought to be considering.  For example, I like all 3 of them, myself, and feel that the silver finish (it's powder coating, just like the black finish and will never oxidize) on the 4s Evo is actually more "CVO" than the black on the 2 or 3.  BUT, I could never quite come to terms with the graphics on the 4's tank. :nixweiss: 

As far as the brakes, I'm sure the dual piston, dual caliper front brakes on the 4 easily outperform the single piston, single caliper brake on the 2s and 3s, but really, being on such a light bike, the single caliper actually doesn't work too bad.

If the 4's the one that grabs ya, though, and you think this is going to be a mild winter ??? and the guns haven't tripled in value, I wouldn't let the mileage freak you out.  11,500 isn't many.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 21 queries.