Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece  (Read 5894 times)

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
Re: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »

My HD BT module stopped working about a month ago. Really upset me because I loved it. I was able to use the bike for work instead of having to take the cage. Being that I need to be in constant contact with my customers, I need a reliable means of communication. Unfortunately, the HD unit is no longer working and is now obsolete.

AJ I hate to say it but it was your testimonial that caused me to realize I really wanted to track the Harley unit down while I still could even with the pricetag and troubles locating it.

I really hope a better solution comes along even though it will cause me to kick myself a bit for setting fire to some money. If you do find a better alternative please let me know.

Good luck.
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »

AJ I hate to say it but it was your testimonial that caused me to realize I really wanted to track the Harley unit down while I still could even with the pricetag and troubles locating it.

I really hope a better solution comes along even though it will cause me to kick myself a bit for setting fire to some money. If you do find a better alternative please let me know.

Good luck.

I posted in the other thread that I was able to purchase another unit at full retail. Having already used the HD BT module I know that it worked for me. I was able to make and receive calls while on the road which is what is required of me. When I bought the unit I knew in the back of my mind that this product would not be on the market forever.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 12:50:15 AM »

Chuck - The Cardo Q2 will work for what you are trying to accomplish. It works best on a Full or 3/4 helmet. But I have tried it on a 1/2 helmet and it works fine up to about 50 mph, then the wind noise overpowers the now "open air" speaker.

And if you got two Cardo's then you would a great intercom for Pinkie  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Merlinii

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »

I have the stock HD radio and Zumo 550.

I am using the helmet headset for bluetooth calls. There is a special (low cost) interface that allows you to plug into the 2.5mm jack on the Zumo bike mount (located above the Zumo audio out 3.5mm jack) and allows you to use your helmet headset for both CB and bluetooth.

Simple, clean, inexpensive and crystal clear calls at 70mph!
03 Anniviversary Silver/Black Road Glide, SERT, SE 203 & SE 95" Flats

CHUBBY® Wild1 WO517 BARS, V&H True Duals with SE II Slip Ons

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »

I am using the helmet headset for bluetooth calls. There is a special (low cost) interface that allows you to plug into the 2.5mm jack on the Zumo bike mount (located above the Zumo audio out 3.5mm jack) and allows you to use your helmet headset for both CB and bluetooth.

Could you elaborate a little more? Exactly how can calls be made? Can the intercom still be used? Do the directions come through the headset via the 2.5mm jack? Where is the Buletooth? Is it a  part of the helmet linked to the Zumo? How does the phone interface? Will it both make & receive calls?
TIA, AJ

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »

Who makes this special interface?? J&M? Kennedy Technologies? who??? I think we've all been waiting to hear feedback on the J&M product.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 12:51:23 AM »

Who makes this special interface?? J&M? Kennedy Technologies? who??? I think we've all been waiting to hear feedback on the J&M product.

Gordy if you look at the questions I asked, I'm still not convinced that this setup will do what the original BT module would.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:25 AM »

Gordy if you look at the questions I asked, I'm still not convinced that this setup will do what the original BT module would.

AJ, He posted in the thread above this one that the inexpensive module is from J&M. I'm pretty sure it is their Garmin Zumo550 Specific Integration Kit and you use your Zumo Bluetooth to pair with your phone. This kit requires a toggle switch to connect everything when needed.  I don't know if this thing really works. I've searched goggle and cant find anyone posting anything. J&M claims you can use your head set to take and make calls, but i think you are limited to monitoring the AUX port only. J&M has some info on the product here. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-HDC-ZMO550&PF=6 It sounds decent but i don't like being limited to monitoring the AUX only. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that has one on his Ultra, but he was very vague on the operation. I really don't even think he knew how to operate it. He did point out how he used Harley's AUX handlebar for the toggle switch rather then J&M's ugly bulky toggle switch. The guy mentioned he had to switch his XM from the factory radio to the Zumo, which leads me to believe you are stuck with the AUX source only. Until we find someone to elaborate a little more on the J&M integration kit, we're going to be stuck in twilight zone. Hopefully our HD BT modules will last a long time and maybe the Mo Co will think about bringing theirs back to the market again...

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 02:25:57 AM »

AJ, He posted in the thread above this one that the inexpensive module is from J&M. I'm pretty sure it is their Garmin Zumo550 Specific Integration Kit and you use your Zumo Bluetooth to pair with your phone. This kit requires a toggle switch to connect everything when needed.  I don't know if this thing really works. I've searched goggle and cant find anyone posting anything. J&M claims you can use your head set to take and make calls, but i think you are limited to monitoring the AUX port only. J&M has some info on the product here. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-HDC-ZMO550&PF=6 It sounds decent but i don't like being limited to monitoring the AUX only. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that has one on his Ultra, but he was very vague on the operation. I really don't even think he knew how to operate it. He did point out how he used Harley's AUX handlebar for the toggle switch rather then J&M's ugly bulky toggle switch. The guy mentioned he had to switch his XM from the factory radio to the Zumo, which leads me to believe you are stuck with the AUX source only. Until we find someone to elaborate a little more on the J&M integration kit, we're going to be stuck in twilight zone. Hopefully our HD BT modules will last a long time and maybe the Mo Co will think about bringing theirs back to the market again...

Well if he has to switch the XM subscription from the Harmon Kardon radio to the Zumo, then the radio functions won't work. If that is the case, then the CB won't work, or AM or FM or WB or CD. So what's the point of that?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »

Well if he has to switch the XM subscription from the Harmon Kardon radio to the Zumo, then the radio functions won't work. If that is the case, then the CB won't work, or AM or FM or WB or CD. So what's the point of that?

Im with you.. pointless. Bye the way, Have you decided if are you mounting your new BT under the fairing or in the TB?

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

Im with you.. pointless. Bye the way, Have you decided if are you mounting your new BT under the fairing or in the TB?

I can't speak for AJ but I'm almost 100% certain based on his message in my inbox that he's going to sacrifice the TP space this go round.

That's why I like eqcons setup the best and if I don't do the install myself the dealership will be getting a couple of copies of eqcons photo in their inboxes to make sure they understand  :orange:
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »

I can't speak for AJ but I'm almost 100% certain based on his message in my inbox that he's going to sacrifice the TP space this go round.

That's why I like eqcons setup the best and if I don't do the install myself the dealership will be getting a couple of copies of eqcons photo in their inboxes to make sure they understand  :orange:

Speak away! It's going into the TP. Cremebrulee will have to only bring one pair of shoes to MV08 (I'm still bringing two  ;D)

Now I've got to find those pictures of Jim's.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »

Speak away! It's going into the TP. Cremebrulee will have to only bring one pair of shoes to MV08 (I'm still bringing two  ;D)

Now I've got to find those pictures of Jim's.

AJ, Did you get your BT module yet? I was going to try to mount mine over the long weekend but still fighting a severe infection in my eyes. Hopefully I will be able to get it mounted next weekend.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »

The J & M stereo bluetooth headset, the Zumo 550 and B/T phone work well for me.  Using a full face helmet but they make models for the half.

Merlinii

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

I am using the single Harley/J&M helmet headset for CB and bluetooth calls. Actually, in my case I'm using the J&M Slide-in Shorty-Style Stereo Helmet Headset w/HO Mike with a half helmet. There is a special (low cost) interface that allows you to plug into the 2.5mm jack on the Zumo bike mount (located above the Zumo audio out 3.5mm jack) and allows you to use your helmet headset for both CB and bluetooth.

Simple, clean, invisible, inexpensive and crystal clear calls at 70mph!

I tried many many many bluetooth headsets and above 30mph wind noise made them useless.

Ok, here's the skinny. The Z has a 2.5mm jack above the audio-out for a micrphone.

In my case I ran the wire from the 2.5mm Z mike-out inside the handlebars and under the center tank dash.

Again, in my case all my wires are inside the bars. I also ran the audio-out from the Z in the bars and added an additional AUX to the back of the HD radio. Hence, the extra work (In my case) to put the wires inside the bars.

See Post: http://hdforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2801104
In my case  ran the audio-out and mike-out under the Powerbar (see pics in above thread)
I can remove the Z's bike mount with the audio-out and mike-out in less than 5 seconds in order to lock it up.

Depending on your setup if you have wires under your bars you could follow them.

In the tank dash, where you plug in your helmet headset, there is a wire with a round pin connector at one end (where you plug in your headset) and the other end of this wire is a Deutsch connector that plugs into the wiring harness.

Unscrew the tank dash then unplug the Deutsch connector from the wiring harness and plug in the interface between the connectors.

One end of the interface plugs into the headset dash wire Deutsch connector end and the other end plugs into the wiring harness Deutsch connector. Basically, the interface plugs inline between the two Deutsch connectors.

Headset dash cable/Deutsch end <> Interface <> HD wiring harness. Male to female connection.

The mike jack wire (from the Z) plugs into the interface and now the headset will do cell calls and CB w/the helmet headset mike.

The interface is small and hides under the seat. No buttons to press or toggle. CB, Phone and intercom using the helmet headset mike.

It sounds complicated, however, if you are running the mike-out wire from the Z under the bars. Pulling the tank dash cover, unplugging the Deutsch connector plugging in the interface, plugging in the Z's mike out wire into the interface and buttoning up the tank dash takes about ten minutes to install.

Install time = less than one beer.

Wanna check it out on the cheap?
Go to Radio Shack get a 2.5mm lapel mike ($5-$10) plug it in the Z and make a call.
Don't wanna have a extra wire from the Z to your helmet with an alligator clip attaching the lapel mike to your helmet mike...(it does look funky) then the interface works great and you're using your helmet mike.

Your cell phone is on your belt and your helmet is on your head.
Simple, clean, invisible, inexpensive and crystal clear calls at 70mph!

This interface is a private product. It is not made by J&M. I have no affiliation. I was lucky enough to find a source that has already made them for quite a few folks on other bikes and asked them make a "Harley" version for me. I have used the "Harley" version cable interface and it works.
I will post pics or links to pics showing the actual installation procedure very soon.

Here is my parts list

1) Harley Davidson Headset/Zumo/Bluetooth/Interface

1) SP-HEC-7
Description: SOUND PROFESSIONALS ADAPTER CABLE - 2.5MM MALE RIGHT ANGLE PLUG TO A 3.5MM MALE RIGHT ANGLE PLUG 8" LONG

1) Radio Shack 274-886 Gold Plated female-female 1/8 coupler

1) SP-SPSC-7
Description: SOUND PROFESSIONALS GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE - 2 Meters

2) Plastic P clamps (free)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:02:52 PM by Merlinii »
03 Anniviversary Silver/Black Road Glide, SERT, SE 203 & SE 95" Flats

CHUBBY® Wild1 WO517 BARS, V&H True Duals with SE II Slip Ons
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.