Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Throttle by wire MALFUNCTION!!!???  (Read 30769 times)

Lo Lo

• CVO Connoisseur
  • 105th Screamin Eagle Club

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE 105th Anniversary Ed. #1055/1800
Throttle by wire MALFUNCTION!!!???
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »

So I dropped my 08 FLHRSE off at the dealership last Tuesday Sept. 2nd to have the gasket recall done along with my new Rineharts/Fuel Pack/LoJack.  Just purchased my RK 3 weeks ago and knew the recall job had to be done before I purchased it.  So the service dept. completes the install of everything the next day, and call me up to pick up my bike.  Enroute to the dealership, they call me and tell me the guy washing my bike found an issue with my throttle.   Seems that something "shorted out" on it, or it wasn't functioning as it should.   I get there to see for myself in person since I was already close to the dealership, and my throttle moves like normal but with just a slight increase in RPM's! Almost like is has been disconnected or some contacts weren't touching?!  They tell me they need to keep the bike to find out what the problem is.  Next day rolls around and they call me up to scoop my bike, telling me it's fixed.  As I was about to get a ride to the dealership from the wife, the call comes, and the service guy tells me there is a problem with the throttle (again) and my bike needs to stay!   :confused5:

To make a long story short, today is Monday Sept. 8th, it's been almost 7 days and the throttle issue is still trying to be figured out by my H-D service techs.  The service guys are puzzled over it, and I am starting to wonder about my CVO purchase.  Any thoughts on this issue?  Anyone else have this problem?  I tried to do a search, and found nothing.  On a good note, I ordered a 21" RC wheel for my SERK awhile back, and my parts guy forgot to mention I needed new rotors that fit that specific wheel, so my dealership is eating the cost of 2 new RC matching rotors!  That managed to heal the wounds left by my throttle issue, alittle....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:49:43 PM by Lo Lo »
**Team Scream**
U.S. Army Recruiting
SFC LOPEZ

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
Re: Throttle by wire MALFUNTION!!!???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »

Have not heard of any issues with the drive by wire yet, but I am sure there will be alot to come!!

But, it sounds like you need to find a new dealer maybe?? :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

SirMichael

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Throttle by wire MALFUNCTION!!!???
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

I was not nor am I now a big fan of fly by wire. After talking to a few techs they had not heard of or saw any problems with it. This is the first time we have heard of any problems. Now what scares me is the techs trying to figure out the problem.

Good luck. And keep us posted!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:27:40 AM »

I don't like the thought of another computer working the throttle either.  It's only a matter of time before you roll on the grip and this voice cuts in, "What are you doing Dave?"  "Ummm, trying to go faster...". "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that.  The posted speed limit is sixty miles an hour".  Seems like just another thing to go wrong (and has in your case).  I've read about people having idle speed problems with the TBW, but not a partial disconnect like you describe.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »

I was not nor am I now a big fan of fly by wire. After talking to a few techs they had not heard of or saw any problems with it. This is the first time we have heard of any problems. Now what scares me is the techs trying to figure out the problem.

Good luck. And keep us posted!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I'm no fan of it either. In fact I purchased a second TBW throttle to carry with me in event mine ever went out or malfunctioned. Most dealers no not stock these. When i purchased from Chicago i only waited four months for it. Not that i recommend everyone go and and do this, you should have one buddy around that has a spare in his trunk.

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:57 PM »

Throttle by wire has been around for a while and working fine (I have it on a 1996 Dump truck with a CAT engine) but it's just starting on the Harleys, it can work here too just depends like everything on the quality of the parts making up the component. And in Harleys case that could be a big question mark....we will see.

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

Only Harley could get us to keep ordering new chrome for our bikes that don't run . That is Marketing Genius. :bananarock:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »

Man, again Mother Harley takes 10-15 year old technology and buggers it up!

But I keep waiting for the new models to be released each July..... :-\

Don't jump all over the HD techs at your dealership. This technology is new to them too.

Brad

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »

ETC (electronic throttle control) or "drive by wire" has been around for more than 20 years, just not at H-D.  It's very reliable in cars and trucks, and even in airplanes, so ETC isn't something to be feared.  Having a H-D dealership mess with it, however, seems to be a scary proposition.

If the system was working before the dealership worked on the bike, which I assume is the case since you rode it there, then common sense would suggest that in the process of disconnecting and removing the throttle body and then reinstalling it after the "upgrade" they have managed to screw something up that left the system in "limp home" mode.  All it would take is one bad electrical connection.  Or perhaps the wash boy managed to blast some water into a sensitive connection.  No matter how they did it, it should be a straightforward diagnosis and repair.  Perhaps they should look for trouble codes and then pull out the manual and follow the diagnostic routine. :duhk: 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »

So I dropped my 08 FLHRSE off at the dealership last Tuesday Sept. 2nd to have the gasket recall done along with my new Rineharts/Fuel Pack/LoJack.  Just purchased my RK 3 weeks ago and knew the recall job had to be done before I purchased it.  So the service dept. completes the install of everything the next day, and call me up to pick up my bike.  Enroute to the dealership, they call me and tell me the guy washing my bike found an issue with my throttle.   Seems that something "shorted out" on it, or it wasn't functioning as it should.   I get there to see for myself in person since I was already close to the dealership, and my throttle moves like normal but with just a slight increase in RPM's! Almost like is has been disconnected or some contacts weren't touching?!  They tell me they need to keep the bike to find out what the problem is.  Next day rolls around and they call me up to scoop my bike, telling me it's fixed.  As I was about to get a ride to the dealership from the wife, the call comes, and the service guy tells me there is a problem with the throttle (again) and my bike needs to stay!   :confused5:

I had this same problem happen to me one evening when I went to go for a ride on my '08 Road Glide.  I started the bike (it had been sitting in my dry garage for nearly a week since I had last rode it in dry weather) and let it idle while my wife got herself onto the bike.  I pulled in the clutch, dropped the gear shift into 1st gear, twisted the throttle....and.....it still idled!  I put the bike back into neutral, twisted the throttle.....and....it still sat at idling rpm.  Then I really gave the throttle a hard twist to about WFO....and....NO CHANGE!   I shut the bike off, scratched my head, and gave my wife a puzzled and sad look.  After chatting for a couple of minutes, I restarted the bike, and the throttle was back.....it was a miracle healing!!  This problem never repeated itself.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:52:54 PM »

My contribution to this discussion is that I have been informed by several techs I know that when the TBW malfunctions it requires complete replacement. It is not repairable. It may be that your dealer is finding this out the hard way (via you as a guinea pig)

B B

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »

Stopped by to visit a friend in a Indy shop. Was shootin the breeze as he told me about a guy who's tbw acted up while riding and caused him to go down. He got banged up pretty good and seemed to have a good attitude about the whole thing. Tried to get more info but that is all he had. Just another thing to lurk in the back of your mind while just trying to enjoy the ride.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

My contribution to this discussion is that I have been informed by several techs I know that when the TBW malfunctions it requires complete replacement. It is not repairable. It may be that your dealer is finding this out the hard way (via you as a guinea pig)

B B

Hey Brian, good to see you back on line.

The ETC (TBW) isn't just one part that can be replaced completely, it consists of several different parts.  The sensor in the grip is one part, the actuator at the throttle body is another, then you have the ECM and several of the other sensors for the various engine functions plus all the wiring that connects this stuff.  A problem can exist in any one of those areas that will cause the system to either go into limp home mode or just fail completely, depending on how it was designed.  If the problem is just one component, all they have to do is follow the diagnostics to isolate the cause and replace that part (or fix the bad connection).  It would be much easier if there was just one little box a dealer could replace, but unfortunately modern technology hasn't completely eliminated the requirement for a "technician" to be able to think or perform diagnostic tests.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »

Hey Brian, good to see you back on line.

The ETC (TBW) isn't just one part that can be replaced completely, it consists of several different parts.  The sensor in the grip is one part, the actuator at the throttle body is another, then you have the ECM and several of the other sensors for the various engine functions plus all the wiring that connects this stuff.  A problem can exist in any one of those areas that will cause the system to either go into limp home mode or just fail completely, depending on how it was designed.  If the problem is just one component, all they have to do is follow the diagnostics to isolate the cause and replace that part (or fix the bad connection).  It would be much easier if there was just one little box a dealer could replace, but unfortunately modern technology hasn't completely eliminated the requirement for a "technician" to be able to think or perform diagnostic tests.

Jerry

It would appear that my function at times on this site is to play Costello to Jerry's Abbott. Those of you looking for solid information should pay close attention to what Jerry has to say. As usual Jerry, thanks for setting me and anyone else reading this thread straight. And yes, it's good to be posting again.

B B

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »

on my o8 fltr i had p-codes 1510 & i don't remember the other 21**. anyhow the cruise wouldn't work and check engine light was my only symptom. i'd clear the codes but they'd come right back. replaced tgs and all is well 12k later. i think there are several failsafes to keep from getting stranded because of fbw.

know of another code 1511 someone had and that required the actuator to be replaced.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.