Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heat...What Engine heat???  (Read 2855 times)

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
Heat...What Engine heat???
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:46 PM »

As some may know I made changes to my set up and I am now just running the SE slip ons. At this time I have not done anything with Fuel Management at this time.  Everyone keeps asking how I can stand the heat on the 110, and I really have no idea what they are talking about.

It was in the upper 70s-lower 80s this week end and I put on about 450 miles most of that 2 up. Nearly all of the miles are 2 lane County roads with some city stop and go. I got 40 miles to the gallon and the heat management did not kick in once, the bike ran great!

Now, I have not spent much time on the Freeway yet and that may make it run hotter as you are running it harder I would think. So now I am wondering if I even need to get a TTS and map the bike. I might wait until it gets a little hotter and see what happens, the only problem is I don't know if I am running too lean and hurting the engine. Of course people tell me I am and then can offer no proof to that fact. So if anyone has any advise I could use it.

Thanks
Dave

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Heat...What Engine heat???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:05:43 AM »

Not sure about yours but I believe mine is running too lean.  The other day it backfired as I was going from 1st gear to 2nd gear in town.  Just doesn't seem to be running up to its prime.  I am at 34 mpg driving around the area which is freeway as well as city.  Think that is way low.  171 miles and I'm about out of gas.  Not too sure what to do about this except complain to HD and ask them to dyno the bike to see if it is putting out what it is supposed to be putting out.  Comments??? 

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:15:28 AM »

Whip out your spark plugs and have a look at the electrodes, you will probably find them to have white deposits on the tips, this is a sign of running lean.
Your bike doesnt have lowers fitted like the touring bikes, therefore your motor receives more cooling air flow than say an Ultra. Having said that the 11o`s do run hotter anyway than lower ci harley motors.

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »

My SESG does get warm when it gets around 90 but it hasn't been a bother yet. I'm sure it's running a little lean but I'm not sure if it is enough to be problematic. I'm going to get the baffles recored and probably get a fullsac x pipe and tts tune this winter or right before the next years riding season. Sorry I couldn't help much other than my rambling.
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »

I have to state that the FLSTSE stock bike does run hot. It was not unusual for my bike to hit 275 deg while idling in heavy traffic after 10-15 minutes. The ETIMS would kick on at 275. And I might point out that this was during 50-60 deg days. It was because of the heat issues that I did the following:

1. Replaced the stock pipes with Rush Silp-Ons w/ 1.75 baffles, then though I liked the sound, it was a little too loud at cruise, last week I replaced the Rush with the 49 state HD SE Slip-ons. Much better sound, and no cat.

2. I installed a ThunderMax w/ autotune wide band O2. The main reason was to provide better AFR thus additional cooling to the engine, along with accommodating the new pipes.

Thus far, I'm very happy with the performance and the sound. The new SE pipes have nearly eliminated the decel popping I experience with the Rush. The TMax is working as advertised, and I'm about to copy the learned offsets into a new MAP.

The end result from a cooling perspective is this. I have a temp gage (dipstick) that I monitor when the bike is stopped. This weekend was warm (75) and I put one long distance trip (250 round trip) and a few rides around the Bay. Based on the outside temp, after an interstate highway run and say stopping at a red light, the temp would read between 190 and 220. Obviously the evening rides brough the lower temps. Around Annapolis, typical stop and go, especially during the tourist season (now), I run between 225 and 250, though I could easily expect it to run higher in the summer and in beach traffic.
Overall I really feel that with the removal of the cat's, the TMAX upgrade, and the SE pipes, I have dropped an average of 40-50 deg in oil temp.

From most of my discussions with other HD people that know the CVOs, it's a given.., 110 HP air cooled engines will run hot. Up the AFR from the mid 14s (stock) to 13.5, and increase the air flow through the engine (get rid of the cats) seems the best approach. External oil coolers and a remote fan may also be needed for parade type duty or heavy summer traffic.

But with all of it..., I really do love this ride.... :)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »

Dave

I have one question. Why do you want to ride a 70% bike with oil temps up in the 270's?

Call MikeV back and ask his opinion of before and after the TTS. Graybear is a testimonial for the TMax. The wife forgot I tuned her bike and about lost her grip on the bars leaving the house.

Just say'n   :2vrolijk_21:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »

Dave,

I have the TTS and used the ConV map Mr. Wizard so kindly shared with me. Without doing anything else I noticed an immediate change in how the bike runs. The acceleration was so much smoother that initially I thought it was worse...until I looked at my spedo. I expected the bike to behave normally - crack the throttle and wait until the engine hit the sweet spot and start pulling hard. After the exhaust and the remap the power was much more even and consistant. I kept pouring it on and before I knew it I was doing 75mph on the entrance ramp to the highway. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to finish my exhaust and do my VE tables.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »

U ready for cams now Mike?   :bananarock:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »

Don't tempt me Wiz the $$$ have not stopped flowing out of my wallet since I bought this "complete" bike. At least let me get past my first service...

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »

Don't tempt me Wiz the $$$ have not stopped flowing out of my wallet since I bought this "complete" bike. At least let me get past my first service...

Mike

No cams for me Mike....I'm too old to hold on any tighter.

I can only live vicariously through you guys.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.