Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Want New Wheels. Should I go 18 or 21 on front?  (Read 24244 times)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
Want New Wheels. Should I go 18 or 21 on front?
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »

I am wanting to get new wheels but I can't decide on a 18 or 21 inch front
wheel. Love the looks of a 21 but have been told to stay with a 18 for handling
reasons.

Need input from people who have ridden with a 21. Does a 21 really make the
bike handle different? Also can you notice the front height difference with a 21? :confused5:

BPumper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG YELLOW
    • CVO2: 2010-5 CRIMSON BLACK #291 ( SOLD)
Re: Want New Wheels. Should I go 18 or 21 on front?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »

On my 2005 seeg I put 18's at first, it changed the way the bike handled then went to a 21" it rode alot better and looks good too. I have a new seuc and I'm changing the wheels on it to contrast chrome sesg2 wheels for the look. I don't think it will change the way it handles.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »

Mark, there are lots of 18" tire options in 3" or 3.5" widths.  So they still fill up the fender nicely.  To my eye the 21" look a little funny filling the fender though.  Lack of width and sidewall height.  If I ever did a 21" I'd have to change fenders too.  To something slimmer that better matched wheel the profile of the tire and wheel.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »

Go for the 21! I had the 21 on my last bike. It will raise the front slightly. I also did the 2" progressive lowering kit up front along with Arnott rears. The bike looked sick and handled well. You can expect more lean angle however by keeping the stock ride height. The key to the 21" front wheel is to go with 3 1/2" width and the 120 tire. That will keep plenty of tread on the ground. My stock fender had no clearance issues. Ran Metzler tires. Check it out. Kelly
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »

Mark, there are lots of 18" tire options in 3" or 3.5" widths.  So they still fill up the fender nicely.  To my eye the 21" look a little funny filling the fender though.  Lack of width and sidewall height.  If I ever did a 21" I'd have to change fenders too.  To something slimmer that better matched wheel the profile of the tire and wheel.
The 18" tire and wheel option is the same width and overall diameter as a stock 16" so I think
it "should not" affect handling in any way.

I like the look of the 21 (more visual bang for your buck) and it fills up the fender a lot more. It raises
the front of the bike which could affect handling. I have talked to two people that said the 21 will want
to fall to the inside in a slow speed turn much more than an 18. Both said they would go with a 18 the
next time. I guess the wheel wanting to fall to the inside in turns could be lack of width issue.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »

The 18" tire and wheel option is the same width and overall diameter as a stock 16" so I think

I like the look of the 21 (more visual bang for your buck) and it fills up the fender a lot more. It raises
the front of the bike which could affect handling. I have talked to two people that said the 21 will want
to fall to the inside in a slow speed turn much more than an 18. Both said they would go with a 18 the
next time. I guess the wheel wanting to fall to the inside in turns could be lack of width issue.

Most times the OD of the tire can be similar.  So, if you shop carefully, the biggest difference is tire width.  The other gent a few posts earlier posted a 21" tire with a 3.5" width.  I'd pursue that were I so interested.  Look wouldn't be too skinny in the big fender and most of the handling questions would become moot.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »

Go for the 21! I had the 21 on my last bike. It will raise the front slightly. I also did the 2" progressive lowering kit up front along with Arnott rears. The bike looked sick and handled well. You can expect more lean angle however by keeping the stock ride height. The key to the 21" front wheel is to go with 3 1/2" width and the 120 tire. That will keep plenty of tread on the ground. My stock fender had no clearance issues. Ran Metzler tires. Check it out. Kelly
your wheel looks great!! The one I want is very close to that design. Your Road King looks good
any pics of the finished product?

I really want the 21, but I ride in the mountains a lot and drag the floorboards sometimes and I just
don't want to screw up a good handling bike. The wheel I want is a 3.25 x 21 with a 120 tire.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »

Have a friend that put 21 on front 18 rear on his 07 street glide and wishes he kept his $3600.00
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »

I went with the 21" and to be completely honest after the first ride you will be used to the difference. The stock fender fits just fine. They even sell adapters to use your stock fender with a 23" but I think it looks a little funny as the fender does not look right, at least for me anyway. Dont let yourself get hung up on handling, my bike rides fine and I have no problem riding it just as hard as I did with the stock wheels. I can remember when I put a 240 tire on my v-rod before they came that way from the factory and there were tons of people saying it woud kill the handling and ruin the bike. Fast forward a few years and now they come stock on all v-rods, hmmmmmmmm.

My only gripe with my setup is I wish I went with a 17" rear vs the 18". If I keep the bike I'm going to put Arnott Air Ride and lower it to get the look I'm after.

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:52 AM »

guess I forgot how to use photobucket >:( It kept pasting the same image instead of the other pics I wanted to show

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »

With a taller wheel the rake stays the same but the trail changes.  If you're accutely aware of how your bike handles in the twisties, you will notice a difference.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:12:13 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »

I went with the 21" and to be completely honest after the first ride you will be used to the difference. The stock fender fits just fine. They even sell adapters to use your stock fender with a 23" but I think it looks a little funny as the fender does not look right, at least for me anyway. Dont let yourself get hung up on handling, my bike rides fine and I have no problem riding it just as hard as I did with the stock wheels. I can remember when I put a 240 tire on my v-rod before they came that way from the factory and there were tons of people saying it woud kill the handling and ruin the bike. Fast forward a few years and now they come stock on all v-rods, hmmmmmmmm.

My only gripe with my setup is I wish I went with a 17" rear vs the 18". If I keep the bike I'm going to put Arnott Air Ride and lower it to get the look I'm after.

And maybe get rid of that big ugly yellow reflector......it sure takes away from the looks of that front end.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »

HA HA!!!!  Yeah that reflector sure is killing the look of the bike. Safety first ;D  I need to get those off ASAP

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »

You also gotta get that black Harley emblem shaved off the calipers.

Here's a pic of my front end on my 10 SESG after I swapped to the Blade (09 SERG) wheel and shaved chrome calipers and removed the reflector.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg687034#msg687034

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg696180#msg696180

West Coast GTG   

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

That is the look I am after. Your wheel looks
great. I see you went with a Renegade Yukon, I am wanting a Renegade Tahoe which is a 5 spoke design also
with solid one piece blades. Thanks for the info it will help with my decision.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.