Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Anyone go over 120MPH?????  (Read 20684 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Anyone go over 120MPH?????
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »

:drink:
" The difference between a buck and a buck-20 feels significant on a bike without a wind shield"

I recently read an article that attempted to explain wind pressure as compared with (speed).  According to the source,  wind pressure is calculated as being like the speed in MPH (squared).

So as an example,  if you were going 50MPH,  the wind pressure would be like 2500 psi or  (50 X 50).  Now,  if you increase your speed by just 20 MPH to 70 MPH,  the wind pressure has now gone to 4900 psi (70 X 70).   So with just a 20 MPH increase in speed,  you have just about DOUBLED the wind pressure. :)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »

Speedo is consistenly 2mph higher than GPS value
Regarding pegging the speedo, I was not looking down when this was achieved.  
:nervous: :nixweiss: 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »

A GPS unit isn't the best tool for a snap shot high speed measure.  They measure straight line distance and require constant signals to do it accurately.  So sudden steep grades or scattered overhead obstructions will get you a wrong answer.  Steep inclines or declines that happen under a bank of trees breaking over the road is a good way to screw with your GPS and your BSR who might just poo her dainties when "shown" later just how fast she was going :huepfenlol2: .

This one got me in trouble for doing just that.  She really was briefly doing a 100-ish.  But never close to what the GPS said we were doing.  You can have fun with the units this way if you realize what screws with them.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »

A GPS unit isn't the best tool for a snap shot high speed measure.  They measure straight line distance and require constant signals to do it accurately.  So sudden steep grades or scattered overhead obstructions will get you a wrong answer.  Steep inclines or declines that happen under a bank of trees breaking over the road is a good way to screw with your GPS and your BSR who might just poo her dainties when "shown" later just how fast she was going :huepfenlol2: .

This one got me in trouble for doing just that.  She really was briefly doing a 100-ish.  But never close to what the GPS said we were doing.  You can have fun with the units this way if you realize what screws with them.

That might be your story.. and you can stick to it. My story is that it was a bright sunny day without any trees or clouds around for miles :)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »

I wonder what she would do at lower altitude, not that I'm asking you to do it again.  ;D  What a beautiful bike Simon has, and we really enjoyed riding in AZ with him. Doc

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »

Had mine to 85 once but my knuckles were white and my knees were shaking.

This was in your driveway?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

NOPE ! Stock SEUC=120mph wall
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »

On my 04 I shift 4th to fifth at 115-120.  Speedo goes a bit past 120 but the bike keeps pulling hard...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »

That might be your story.. and you can stick to it. My story is that it was a bright sunny day without any trees or clouds around for miles :)

I think you can rely on your GPS just a tad bit more than any unit of measure that Harley puts out. :2vrolijk_21:                                :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »

The more I read on this site lately, the more I cannot fathom why anyone is buying a CVO Harley, a regular production Harley or anything else made by the MoCo. It would appear to me that we've got folks who take the motor and trans out of their bikes and put them on the shelf replacing them with aftermarket or H-D big inch motors and custom trannies. Of course that fancy new motor requires a specialized exhaust system and Hi Tech ignition/ECM. Next, pull the suspension apart and replace all of the OEM components with Traxion Dynamics AK 20 kits and Bitubo shocks. After that, it's a new seat, new wheels, new tires, new windshield, new stereo system with amps and subwoofers, intrticate GPS systems, tons of chrome, pinstriping, repainting or powdercoating - what did I forget. Oh gee, it seems the stock frame is not being tossed. So $40 thousand for a frame, another $40 thousand for all of the above and voila, we've got a motorcycle we can still bitch about. Frickin amazing.

B B

Oh yes, that's right, it's sooooooooooooo hard to title and insure a custom built motorcycle. Gotta have that OEM VIN # 

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »

The more I read on this site lately, the more I cannot fathom why anyone is buying a CVO Harley, a regular production Harley or anything else made by the MoCo. It would appear to me that we've got folks who take the motor and trans out of their bikes and put them on the shelf replacing them with aftermarket or H-D big inch motors and custom trannies. Of course that fancy new motor requires a specialized exhaust system and Hi Tech ignition/ECM. Next, pull the suspension apart and replace all of the OEM components with Traxion Dynamics AK 20 kits and Bitubo shocks. After that, it's a new seat, new wheels, new tires, new windshield, new stereo system with amps and subwoofers, intrticate GPS systems, tons of chrome, pinstriping, repainting or powdercoating - what did I forget. Oh gee, it seems the stock frame is not being tossed. So $40 thousand for a frame, another $40 thousand for all of the above and voila, we've got a motorcycle we can still bitch about. Frickin amazing.

B B

Oh yes, that's right, it's sooooooooooooo hard to title and insure a custom built motorcycle. Gotta have that OEM VIN # 

Maybe I'm the exception (or really poor), changed the exhaust to Fulsac w/a TTS to kill the heat and get some noise, bought a Klockwerks windshield 'cuz I'm 6'2", and I'd like a King tour pack some day. I love the seat. suspension, motor, speakers, hell I just love the bike  :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »

Maybe I'm the exception (or really poor), changed the exhaust to Fulsac w/a TTS to kill the heat and get some noise, bought a Klockwerks windshield 'cuz I'm 6'2", and I'd like a King tour pack some day. I love the seat. suspension, motor, speakers, hell I just love the bike  :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

This is why you need a GPS dude. You are lost and on the wrong website !  :D

B B

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

This is why you need a GPS dude. You are lost and on the wrong website !  :D

B B

I'm beyond lost, a GPS on a bike would never help me :cherry:

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »

B B

Still laughing!! :2vrolijk_21:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »

B B

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. I think(my first mistake) it's about self expression but there are limits and one is not accepted or pleased about ones self if it does not say Harley Davidson on the tank. Of all the mods you mentioned I did not see a tank exchange. :huepfenlol2:

No matter how much we change them we call them Harleys and are proud.
This game is not for the poor.
All other brands are still NOT Harley.
There is a competitive component to this mod game.

People truly are "Fricken amazing". ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.