Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deceleration squeek/chirp ??  (Read 10641 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Deceleration squeek/chirp ??
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »

Hi,
 The bike runs fine but when let off the throttle quickly, I can hear a squeek or a chirp sound. It is a single squeek when I let off the throttle. It will do it almost evry time. I removed the Easy Bracket/Saddlebags. I don't see any thing loose. Is this common on the FXR4 or Dressers. Could it be bad Swingarm bushings or rear belt ? I could not see any obviuos problems with the rear belt. I can not tell if it is the bushings, belt  or shocks. Any help is apprechiated.
Thanks,
Ltank

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Deceleration squeek/chirp ??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »

Hi,
 The bike runs fine but when let off the throttle quickly, I can hear a squeek or a chirp sound. It is a single squeek when I let off the throttle. It will do it almost evry time. I removed the Easy Bracket/Saddlebags. I don't see any thing loose. Is this common on the FXR4 or Dressers. Could it be bad Swingarm bushings or rear belt ? I could not see any obviuos problems with the rear belt. I can not tell if it is the bushings, belt  or shocks. Any help is apprechiated.
Thanks,
Ltank

Is it a mechanical noise...or could it be you are hearing the air flow when the throttle body closes...?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »

Is it a mechanical noise...or could it be you are hearing the air flow when the throttle body closes...?

Argh! It would be a carb it would. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »

Argh! It would be a carb it would. 

Same difference....perhaps a noise when the air flow thru the carburetor closes off from rolling out of the throttle...unless it is purely a mechanical noise.. :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »

I tried to pinpoint the noise. So far no luck. Does not seem to the carb but I could be wrong. Sometimes it sounds like the rear of the bike, sometimes it does not but it is the same squeek. It is the little things that dive me crazy. I rode 100 plus miles today. I still trust the bike. I will let you know when I finally find it.
Thanks Guys,
Ltank

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »

LOL I chased a chirp for close to a year and a half. It had driven me absolutely crazy at one point. I traced my chirp down to the belt, or so I thought. I changed the belt and it was quiet for awhile. Than it came back, chit. I could quiet the noise if I sprayed any sort of liquid on the rear belt (I used belt dressing at one point). Changing the rear tire one day and I looked closely at the rear pulley and it was pretty badly grooved, no this couldn't be it. I changed the pulley and have not heard the noise since. The pulley is junk as it wore so bad.

On Baggers the other chirp is the saddlebag/exhaust brackets where they run through the rubber bushings.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »

I had a chirp on my Deuce.  It was the chrome pulley cover hitting the weld for the belt guard.  Ground it down, black paint, and gone.  The cover wasn't exactly flat and had a high spot.  There is really not much clearance in that area.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »

My roadking did it for a while. made me crazy too. It was the belt on mine.
a.k.a  Dent Dude

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »

I got a couple of squeaks on mine ..... not sure how to isolate them .... so I don't try ... they bug me when I listen to them, so I just give it more throttle and add wind to my face ...... it increases the SMILE FACTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   just another way to rid the bike of squeaks    :huepfenlol2:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:01:35 PM »

Mine does the same thing about twice a year. HD sells a small tube of poly lube. Put it on the sides of the belt and it's good to go. No mess.

johnsfxr2

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »

Is it possible it could be one of the rubber mounted motor mounts??? :pineapple: :pepper:

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »

LOL I chased a chirp for close to a year and a half. It had driven me absolutely crazy at one point. I traced my chirp down to the belt, or so I thought. I changed the belt and it was quiet for awhile. Than it came back, chit. I could quiet the noise if I sprayed any sort of liquid on the rear belt (I used belt dressing at one point). Changing the rear tire one day and I looked closely at the rear pulley and it was pretty badly grooved, no this couldn't be it. I changed the pulley and have not heard the noise since. The pulley is junk as it wore so bad.

On Baggers the other chirp is the saddlebag/exhaust brackets where they run through the rubber bushings.
I have been chasing the same chirp I think  :nixweiss:  Did yours go away after the bike warmed up ( 3 or 4 miles of riding) then was there again when you started out cold again???

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

dviljoen

• 1999 FXR2 in Arresting Red
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »

This is kind of creepy.  I have an FXR2 and it does exactly the same thing.  I don't really care much about the sound so never spent the time to figure out what it is.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:04 AM »

Mine did it initially, always during the ride out on cold mornings.. It was the belt in my case after the bike had a few miles down the road i had no more squeak, after about 2 to 3k i dont get it all now..  I thought it was tracking and it may very well have been but it's gone now...

fxr1234

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

all those people with this belt chirping noise need to do a rear  wheel alignment  using fly fishing line or something visible. wrap the line  around back tire to front tire . bolth ends are wrapped around a steel ruler  at a width of the rear tire. this ruler is held centered on the front tire by string tension . I believe there are two methods for alignment one by turning front tire until string is touching its rear  side bead  and checking rear opposite tire beads are bolth touching, if not adjust rear axle alignment. other method with front wheel straight and ruler centered ajust rear axle until fly line is equal distance away from front  tire at rear tire bead or rim bead. then take bike for ride , still chirping adjust tension tighter 1/4 turn on each adjuster at a time  and test ride. I think that's how I did it. 
If you can't let go of the bars and steer it with your knees vibration free,  then u got issues .

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.