Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Kuryakyn Curved License Plate Frame  (Read 44799 times)

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
Re: Kuryakyn Curved License Plate Frame
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 06:35:10 AM »

So how is the top piece of chrome attached and can it be removed?

If you're asking, "Can the very top piece of chrome, which is part of the backplate and the part that sticks up above the license plate frame, be removed?"  I believe the answer is no.  As this portion of the backplate is covering up the hole in the fender where the wires run through to connect the license plate light.  At least that is what I believe based on studying the photos of the backplate and the rear fender's mounting and wiring holes.

Bhtko should be able to answer this one without a doubt though since he has seen one first hand and mounted it to his bike.

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

Since I too think the Yaffe plate frame would draw too much attention from the local police up here in NH, I think the Kuryakyn frame is the way to go.  However, like others I too prefer just the frame without the additional chrome piece at the top.  So I have designed and fabricated my own custom back plate.

Here is a photo of my second prototype for the back plate.  This one is cut out of 1/8" stainless steel, which the final one will be.  The first was cut out of 1/8" mild steel for proof of concept.

The second prototype allowed me to get the custom tooling I created for bending the back plate to exactly match the curve of the Kuryakyn license plate frame, part number 3144.  This was not as straight forward as one would think, as once the tooling is used to bend the back plate in a press, it springs back after the pressure is released.  And the amount of spring back is different between stainless steel and mild steel.  Hence the need for the second prototype to be in the final back plate's material.  ;)

This one also allowed me to ensure the tapped 1/4 x 20 holes used to mount the Kuryakyn frame were properly located.  And to make sure the countersunk holes for the screws would be flush behind the license plate once the back plate was mounted to the fender.

Unfortunately, my bike was dropped off at my dealer and put into storage before the Kuryakyn license plate frame was available.  So I cannot check to ensure the countersunk mounting holes are properly located or that I have the correct amount of offset from the fender mounting holes and the Kuryakyn frame.  I want to have the plate mounted as low as possible while still covering the hole in the fender for the wiring.

If anyone has their bikes available with the license plate and back plate removed, I would love to get some precise measurements of the mounting holes, from center to center.  And the offset from the mounting holes centerline to the top of the wiring hole.  If not, I will just have to wait until spring to finish my custom back plate.   ;D

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »

My plan is to use metal spacers and rubber washers to space the above back plate just far enough off the fender so the Kuryakyn license plate frame does not touch the fender itself.  Preventing any rubbing or damage to the paint.  :2vrolijk_21:

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:39:13 AM »

PM SENT!!!

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »

If you're asking, "Can the very top piece of chrome, which is part of the backplate and the part that sticks up above the license plate frame, be removed?"  I believe the answer is no.  As this portion of the backplate is covering up the hole in the fender where the wires run through to connect the license plate light.  At least that is what I believe based on studying the photos of the backplate and the rear fender's mounting and wiring holes.

Bhtko should be able to answer this one without a doubt though since he has seen one first hand and mounted it to his bike.

You are correct, the very top piece of chrome is part of the backing plate which is all one piece.  It does cover the hole in the fender and cannot be removed.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »

looks nice...but I'll stick with the reg. curved plate frame without the large chrome tab on top......

thx for your time in posting this...

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »

looks nice...but I'll stick with the reg. curved plate frame without the large chrome tab on top......

thx for your time in posting this...

No problem!

MDUltra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: '03 Springer
    • CVO3: '08 Ultra SE sold
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68325.msg951922#msg951922

I couldn't use the one with the oval frame around the tag so went with Kury. I agree the BaggerNation one is cleaner.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »

Sorry I am late to the party here but just ran across this thread today.  I had contacted Kuryakyn previously about the possibility of removing the top "tab" on the backing plate.  They confirmed what NorEaster said that the tab is to cover the hole(s)/wire from the stock set up and allows the license plate to be dropped down which they think looks better.  I too like the cleaner look (e.g. BaggerNation, etc.) but will probably go Kuryakyn as well on my '09 SERG3. 

Merry Christimas to all and to all a good ride,

Silvr
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »

I have to be missing something.....I'm stuggling to understand the problem.  Keep it simple. :2vrolijk_21:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

JCZ:

As you cocluded they are trying to use the newest backing bracket as a replacement for the one we drilled. Sinply put apparantly it can't replace the old one. 

However in my search I did locate a universal Kury bracket that may work better than both solutions since it has a series of slots that can be used to adust the outer frame up/down or side to side AND it is flexible to conform to our curved fenders.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I decided to use the Yaffee solution on my 2012 CVO Street Glide which replaced my 2010 Concord Grape like yours.

Both brackets are not as easy to install as you first conclude which is one of the reasons why this site is so valuable.

Happy Holidays

Jerry

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »

I looked at the  Kury and at the time it was difficult to get the parts . so opted to use Yaffe and I'm Really pleased with the result .. I didnt see what would be difficult on his install .. other than ya gotta drill . no bigee. I jus wish I woulda frenched it .. jus sayin

philgrocks

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

I got the Yaffe model, I love the look,but drilling was a show stopper.  No way am I going to drill the new bike for a license plate mount!  I am going to look at the Kuryakyn mount.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »

I got the Yaffe model, I love the look,but drilling was a show stopper.  No way am I going to drill the new bike for a license plate mount!  I am going to look at the Kuryakyn mount.

You don't have to drill for the YAFFEE frame.  You may need to get longer bolts and maybe elongate the fender bolt holes.

Regards

Jerry

tequillaCVO2010

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »

Kury installed, and was a very simple install, takes no more than an 1 hour.  Nice clean look!  Thumbs Up to the Kury Plate Frame....   :drink:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:47:54 AM by tequillaCVO2010 »

2010 FLHXSE TEQUILLA SUNRISE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.