Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: trip meter counts down now rather than up. ??  (Read 8723 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
trip meter counts down now rather than up. ??
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »

Had the speedometer upgrade 'flash' done on Friday.  Was getting so the clock reset was happening quite regularly.  Had the battery tested and it tested out ok.  when I got home, a new symptom: on the trip meter trip B, it will not zero out (trip A does) and it now counts down only.  anybody else have this happen??Pork.

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
Re: trip meter counts down now rather than up. ??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

I remember me one time to have had such an symtom.
Also after flashing the ECU (not sure by HD upgrade or new TTS map) I can't reset the trip on the gas station.
No reaction by pressing the trip button long, short or repeated in menue B.
Some time later after detach the main fuse and wait a couple of minutes to reset the ECM, the error was gone.

Sorry for my english.
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »

Porkypig
Don't worry about it. When it gets down to 0 it will correct itself.  That has happened to me as well.

Etudeguy

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

seriously?  you're saying that it will continue to count down from 13.8 miles to 0 and then it should correct itself and count up as well as be able to zero it on a trip??  that sounds encouraging. 

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:08 AM »

Porkypig
I'm serious, it concerned me as well but it will turn around once you hit 0.

Etudeguy

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »

I was told by the dealership that it would count down from 30 and then zero out.  then it would begin counting up.  that is exactly what happened as I rode to work today.  So, that part appears to be fine now.  But a little aggravating issue is that every time I start it up now, the r lo light comes on, I have "0" for the range when it is known to be full tank, and the fuel light comes on until I put it in gear and take off.  anybody got a clue as to what this is?  goes away when you get going but is sort of aggravating.   

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »

Pork, sorry to hear you are still having issues.  I had all the symptoms you mentioned, but they all went away after I had the re-flash.  Since then no problems.  Any chance the did the re-flash incorrectly???

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

Pork-
I'm having the same problem on my 2011 with the r lo light coming on ever time I start it. After I switch to another setting and start riding it seems to go away. And I had mine flashed back in 2012 so what ever is causing this current issue isn't related to that or the newest flash out there,
Bob

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »

have you guys checked your battery and conections as well as the starting /charging system?
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »

You know I had the same problem with my 2011 bike and I think Lever is on to something. The r lo light kept coming on like others have mentioned but would go off after I started moving. I was on the "Loneliest Road in America" and I stopped for gas and my bike won't start so I rolled it down a hill to get it started and made it to Ely and replaced the battery and the problem stopped. A couple of weeks ago I disconnected my battery for something and when it was connected again the r lo light came back on again but when I started going it went off and it hasn't happened since.

Etudeguy

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »

Porkypig
Don't worry about it. When it gets down to 0 it will correct itself.  That has happened to me as well.

Etudeguy

:2vrolijk_21: Yup what he said  :nixweiss:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »

well, I appreciate the different angles from everybody.  I had the reflash done about 3 weeks ago now.  You know what I have been experiencing since.  I took the bike in on Friday to get last minute warranty work done (saddlebag seals have come apart again as they did on the 11.  If that happens again, I will use something other than foam seals as they just don't hold up. Have the continueing issue with the r lo light and the fuel light coming on and then going off as soon as you take off.  I was told that HD says all the bikes from 09 forward do that.  I told my s.writer that "gosh, it didn't do that when it was new; why would it do it now??  So, he is calling HD back.  And the battery issue again....bike would barely start the other day.  If they will replace the battery, I will let them).  Otherwise, I just want to ride my bike; things otherwise are good with the bike.  Always willing to look at something new and exciting but haven't found anything better than what we all have so far.  )  So, hopefully will find out something on Monday.  Pork.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »

pork  when you said battery issue again  what do you mean ?  how old is this battery that's in your bike ?
also do you have a lot of electrical accessory's ?
and how are they connected to battery?
my bike my main battery cables are attached 1st then my other leads go on top like battery tender lead  oil fans  heated bars leads
it appears to me your losing your console memory cause there is to much amperage draw from battery when starting are you using a tender when not riding ? I still think you need to look at starting / charging system battery connections etc .... you may also have a low current draw somewhere that's draining your battery down .
do you keep your fob away from bike when its parked for long periods of time ?  the key fob will cause your battery to run down

just trying to help ya out with suggestions
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »

And I do appreciate your help.  I have a battery tender cable that is attached on top of the battery cables I guess.  that is the only accessory.  It came with it.  I do keep the bike on the battery tender.  I keep the fob stored at least 15-20 feet away in a closet in another room.  But how does a fob cause the battery to wear down.  I sort of think of it as strictly an electrical interlock, not an electricity using device.  Harley claims that a battery is a wear and tear item but says everything is parts and labor for 2 years, regardless of mileage.  Has anybody else had Harley step up and replace their battery?  This battery is just under 2 years old and has about 15,000 miles of starting on it.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:21:04 AM by porkypig »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »

Ask the dealer to show you in writing where the battery is a normal maintenance item and isn't covered by the factory two year warranty.  Unless something has changed recently they won't be able to do so.  A battery isn't like a pair of windshield wiper blades or brake pads that are considered wear items under most warranties.  And yes, even real wear items like brake pads are covered if they are defective, as opposed to just being worn out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.