Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Looking For Some Wheel Input  (Read 12134 times)

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Looking For Some Wheel Input
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »

Well it is time for me to go onward with my winter project.A tad early but there is lead times you know. I'm replacing the wheels and tires and want to ask those of you who have done it to give me your honest opinion. And if you haven't what would you do? The quandry is to spend the extra money on the matching billet pulley and matching rotor. Seeing that it is mostly hidden by the bags at all times unless when yoy wash it,would you spend the extra 600.00 plus dollars to add these parts. Yea I know all about the stealth chrome but I'm just asking for some input from my Bro's.  Gary fire away [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

hogasm

Re: Looking For Some Wheel Input
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »

Q,  I bought the matching pulley and rotor for my 2002 flht. I don't think I would do it again, Would use the $600 on something else, like new cams etc..... I bought them for the 02 because I plan to show the bike and it might make a difference to judges. Heck the pulley on the CVO bikes isn't chrome and doesn't match the rims, and you can't see them when the bags are on.
My .02 worth

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:56:08 PM »

Well you know I would get it, but if it's something else you want to get first I'd go for that. As you stated it's mostly covered, and can only be seen when bags are off. However you will know it's there and that will make all the difference. It's like "Big Pimpin" the suit ain't complete unless you got the matching shoes, socks, etc. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »

Q,
    If it were me,   don't do it.....no one will ever see them.  

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »

Every time I clean the Frontier I am thankful that everything matches.

To me it's kinda like the high dollar exhaust with a stock breather,
or the big cylinders with a stock intake.
Or polishing the right side of the bike cause that's the side that shows the most.

If a hundred people look at your bike maybe only 10 will notice that all parts don't match.
But of the ninety that didn't notice, they probably would not have noticed anyway regardless of what you did.
But the 10 that did notice will most likely have matching parts on theirs and will appreciate yours and the efforts you went thru.

But the important thing is,
This isn't about them it's all about you and what you want to achieve.
Sounds like someone inside is screaming "make everything match" and your trying to fight it.
Give in, it's only money!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:51:00 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »

Hey Chip you have 600 bucks I can borrow? I'm leaning towards stock pulley and rotor.The place where I'm getting the rims from say that almost no one with a bagger gets the rear accessories. Lets see how the posts go. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »

Hey Chip you have 600 bucks I can borrow? I'm leaning towards stock pulley and rotor.The place where I'm getting the rims from say that almost no one with a bagger gets the rear accessories. Lets see how the posts go. Later,Q

Whats a few bucks amounst friends.
Give me some part #'s and I will save you some money!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend the $s on something people aren't going to see, but I probably would do it anyway since I would know...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:09:00 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »

BD...'cuse my ignorance on the SERK, but the only thing that would make me do the rotor is if it wasn't a high end floating style.  The pulley is not something I would spend the bucks on, as I would put those dollars towards upgrading calipers or some other performance items.  

What kind of wheels are you leaning towards?  There are several that would look really good on your bike, particularly with the overall theme you have going...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »

Q, I added a chrome detonator pulley (to match my wheels) and chrome belt guard only because I am running 2:1 pipes and both are visible even with the saddlebags installed.  Wouldn't have done it otherwise.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 07:31:31 PM »

BD...'cuse my ignorance on the SERK, but the only thing that would make me do the rotor is if it wasn't a high end floating style.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 07:35:43 PM »

You will have to wait and see.I'll post the pics when I'm done.If you would like I would like to see what other members would put on my scoot. So get crackin baby [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »

Lets say I started my search looking at Foose wheels until I saw the starting price at $1955 per wheel. So regardless to say I have found a package with tires for 2400 bucks ,with the tires mounted and balanced. Still I have a few choices in that range so if you look at Weld,RC Components,Pro-One,Renegade,Xtreme and PM to name a few.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 10:31:24 PM »

Well you know I would get it, but if it's something else you want to get first I'd go for that. As you stated it's mostly covered, and can only be seen when bags are off. However you will know it's there and that will make all the difference. It's like "Big Pimpin" the suit ain't complete unless you got the matching shoes, socks, etc. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Every time I clean the Frontier I am thankful that everything matches.

To me it's kinda like the high dollar exhaust with a stock breather,
or the big cylinders with a stock intake.
Or polishing the right side of the bike cause that's the side that shows the most.

If a hundred people look at your bike maybe only 10 will notice that all parts don't match.
But of the ninety that didn't notice, they probably would not have noticed anyway regardless of what you did.
But the 10 that did notice will most likely have matching parts on theirs and will appreciate yours and the efforts you went thru.

But the important thing is,
This isn't about them it's all about you and what you want to achieve.
Sounds like someone inside is screaming "make everything match" and your trying to fight it.
Give in, it's only money!

Q, back on the subject of the matching rotor/pulley, I like what Gary and Chip have to say about this.  The SEEGs came with the matching rear floating rotor, so I'm set there, but I am going to get the matching Detonator pulley (and chrome belt guard cover) whenever I put a new rear tire on sometime next year.  Now then, keep in mind the bike is 3 years old now, so these items have been on the bottom of the wish list slowly working their way to the top while I've been concentrating on other things, so it's all about what the priorities are at the moment.

BUT, if I was getting ready to drop 2 grand on a set of bad azz custom wheels, I personally could not bring myself to put the comparatively gawd-awful silver powdercoated pulley and cheesy solid rotor on my brand new rear wheel [smiley=shocked2.gif] cuz that's just the way I am. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Maybe you can't see it all the time, unless you have the bags off to clean it, but I would feel like a cheap azz knowing I didn't get the "total package" done all at the same time.  It's why, when I upgraded to the Brembo calipers, I decided I was going to do all three at once.  I could have "gotten by" with just doing the fronts where they show and putting Lyndall pads on the stock rear calipers to get better performance back there, but while I was upgrading, I wanted to do it right and have not regretted the decision.  I would feel the same about the rotor and pulley if I owned your bike, but that's just me.

So, it's all in what you're after.  If you're going to be able to ride the bike afterward without thinking about the stock pulley and rotor taking up residence on the new wheel, or, you have other things you want to do with the money more than having things matching back there, then that's probably the route to go for you.  On the other hand, if you're obsessed with doing things as good as you can while you're doing them and being different than the other bagger folks you mentioned that don't opt for the matching rear hardware, then you know what to do in that case. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Either way, have fun with the project and picking out something that's a perfect match for the Frankenserk! [smiley=2vrolijk_09.gif]

And when you're done, don't forget:  [smiley=worthless.gif]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.