Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Ohlins #6  (Read 13732 times)

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
Re: Ohlins #6
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »

Drilling new  holes on the brakets provided.  Turn them upside down and they favor a little more towards the inside of the mounting bracket.  Nvr hits tires etc.   take your time and plan it out. Not complicated.   They are great shocks so far.   

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »

T/A - thanks for the description.  That helps.  I have been traveling all week. when I get home I am going to take the bags off so I can see what I am dealing with.  I did not realize that Howard sends brackets with the shocks.  Thanks again.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

Are the Ohlins 6 height adjustable, or does Howard send them at a fixed length predetermined by your inseam lenght?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »

I had to adjust them (shorten) by about 1" so they fit. Loosen blue nut on the bottom of the shock and turn bottom of shock. My bike came with 12" shocks.
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 11:00:01 PM »

I had to adjust them (shorten) by about 1" so they fit. Loosen blue nut on the bottom of the shock and turn bottom of shock. My bike came with 12" shocks.

Ripcord, so if your bike came with 12" shocks, you lowered them to,.....11"?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »

No - I think the Ohlins #6 are something like 13 and 1/4" eye to eye. I was on with Howard during the install and could not get them to mount - the eyes and the holes they mount in could not be made to line up - the swing arm would not drop any lower because the exhaust interfered with the swing arm bolt. With the adjustment mentioned above, I was able to get them to line up and I could bolt them to the holes. I still have 13" eye-to-eye but frankly, I'm not sure why that is - so I gained roughly an inch. The stock shocks, HD premium hand adjustable were 12" eye-to-eye with no length adjustment. I'm leaving this morning for a trip to VT but when I get back I'll take a few close-up pics of the shock and where I had to make the height adjustment. Looking on Howard's site, I don't see the adjustment (blue nut) that I have on mine. Stay tuned until the end of the week.
12" Buky Malos and engine guard, Le Pera Continental, Zumo 665 nav, black lower legs, matching TourPak, Madstad windshield, and lots of other "stuff"

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »

No - I think the Ohlins #6 are something like 13 and 1/4" eye to eye. I was on with Howard during the install and could not get them to mount - the eyes and the holes they mount in could not be made to line up - the swing arm would not drop any lower because the exhaust interfered with the swing arm bolt. With the adjustment mentioned above, I was able to get them to line up and I could bolt them to the holes. I still have 13" eye-to-eye but frankly, I'm not sure why that is - so I gained roughly an inch. The stock shocks, HD premium hand adjustable were 12" eye-to-eye with no length adjustment. I'm leaving this morning for a trip to VT but when I get back I'll take a few close-up pics of the shock and where I had to make the height adjustment. Looking on Howard's site, I don't see the adjustment (blue nut) that I have on mine. Stay tuned until the end of the week.

Thanks Ripcord, I am close to buying a set and am trying to learn as much as I can. My issue is passanger comfort. Even with Suspension Technology shocks, my wife still gets jarred over the lousy streets around here. I want something to really smooth out the ride for her. The bike was lowered when I bought it and now I drag in corners, parking lots and the frame hits on speed bumps. I would gladly raise it if it helps, that's why I asked about height adjustability. Look forward to the end of the week.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:53 AM »

This site is bad now I had to go order a set of #6 There should be a disclaimer or something about this site could cause undue stress on your credit card.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »

How I made the length adjustment as asked by Ironhorse.

The blue nut in the picture allows you to lengthen or shorten the shock - simply release it and then screw in or out the eye of the shock. In my case I had to screw it in about an inch to get the shock to fit the bike. On the ground, the shock measures 12.5" eye-to-eye. Stock was 12".

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »

Thanks Ripcord, I am close to buying a set and am trying to learn as much as I can. My issue is passanger comfort. Even with Suspension Technology shocks, my wife still gets jarred over the lousy streets around here. I want something to really smooth out the ride for her. The bike was lowered when I bought it and now I drag in corners, parking lots and the frame hits on speed bumps. I would gladly raise it if it helps, that's why I asked about height adjustability. Look forward to the end of the week.

Phone and talk to Howard he will answer all your questions even which way to turn the bolts :)
Howard G. Messner
Phone #: 1-954-848-1525 ~Contact via e-Mail~ howard@motorcyclemetal.com
http://motorcyclemetal.com/
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »

Phone and talk to Howard he will answer all your questions even which way to turn the bolts :)

I just placed my order for Ohlins #6 from Howard!

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2014, 08:03:20 AM »

Ironhorse - congrats! Let us know how the install goes. Start saving for a front end kite now  :)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »

Ironhorse - congrats! Let us know how the install goes. Start saving for a front end kite now  :)

Will do Ripcord!

Howard says that when installed, while parked the bike sits at stock height, 13.25". When I climb on, it will "sag", or drop to 12" and ride at 12. Does yours do that too?

I ask because my current set up uses 12" shocks and I scrape. I've raised my floorboards to the upper most setting, and taken off the spacer kit the previous owner used. Still, when I corner I scrape. Grinding down the floorboards does not bother me, but dragging the EZ-UP Center stand does. I'm afraid that one day it will lever the rear wheel off the payment and I'll go sliding around the corner. This almost happened the other day when I rolled over a pot hole in a corner.

What's been your experience?

I cannot wait for Howard to build them and ship them!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »

Will do Ripcord!

Howard says that when installed, while parked the bike sits at stock height, 13.25". When I climb on, it will "sag", or drop to 12" and ride at 12. Does yours do that too?

I ask because my current set up uses 12" shocks and I scrape. I've raised my floorboards to the upper most setting, and taken off the spacer kit the previous owner used. Still, when I corner I scrape. Grinding down the floorboards does not bother me, but dragging the EZ-UP Center stand does. I'm afraid that one day it will lever the rear wheel off the payment and I'll go sliding around the corner. This almost happened the other day when I rolled over a pot hole in a corner.

What's been your experience?

I cannot wait for Howard to build them and ship them!
Made a huge difference for me when I installed mine. Still scrapes but WAY better!
Alan

Ripcord

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 08:10:09 AM »

I have mine up on the jack for winter. My bike had the 12 shocks as well. I'll measure later today while it's on the jack. I don't think I'll get over the 13" length though. Will let you know eye-to-eye measurement while it's on the jack. I must not corner aggressively enough - never drag anything on the ground.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.