Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WI - Monroe County  (Read 1898 times)

mfgreen

WI - Monroe County
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:23:31 PM »

I decided to do all of Monroe county here because the county is fairly simple. And with Fort McCoy right in the middle of the county there aren't a whole lot of roads here. There are a few more roads, primarily in the N part of the county, I chose to leave them out because they were just dull roads. Even the highways are dull here. The north half of the county is dull and boring. If you ever take 27 to Black river falls you will know what I mean. BORING.. There are however some mesa and buttes that were formed here from the glacier.. The South half on the other hand shows some promise. Take a look at the corners on cnty AA, T, U, M.. Those could be some fun roads.

http://www.wisconsinmotorcycling.com/maps/images/ftmccoy.gif

Route
The few time I have been to this area I have taken backroads to sparta.. Starting from the SW corner on cnty X and going to 27 and then N to Sparta. Obviously there are plenty of different ways to attack this section.  

Cautions
Again, your typical Wisconsin backroad precationary measures should be in place. Slow down for the corners in case of gravel, watch for buggies, and tractors and teenagers tearing ass down the roads. I'm not sure what the security for the base is but you may want to keep yourself off the gravel roads and even be careful on the cnty roads around that area. I doubt they will shoot first and then ask questions,, but you never know..

Law Enforcement
There is a State Patrol HQ located in Tomah, if you are riding I90 watch the weighstations, State Patrol likes to hang out there... The small town cops can be jerks. Once again its best to treat them with respect, whether they deserve it or not.  

Fuel and rest stops
I have to check on some of these fuel stops. Some stations may have closed down over the last couple years or so. I know there is fuel for sure at, Cashton, Sparta, Tomah, Warrens, but the rest of them I am not so sure about. KEEP your tanks full...  

Places to Eat
There are a couple of places in Cashton, some fast food and better restaurants in both Sparat and Tomah, and some of the smaller towns may also have a small restaurant located in them.
Things To See
Monroe County.
Sparta, Sparta 2
Tomah
Warrens Cranberry Festival
Jelly Stone- Warrens
Fort McCoy
Alternate Roads
71 W goes to 108 and 54.
71 E goes to Elroy
16& 90 W go to La Crosse and East theay go to New Lisbon Mauston The Dells, and then Madison.
21N goes toBlack River Falls
27S goes to Westby
12 and 94 N go to Black River Falls
21 E goes to Necedah and farther across the state to Oshkosh.
173 N goes to Wisconsin Rapids

Riding Style
These are cruising roads. Too much junk on the roads to take them at any speed over 70. Sure you can play in the straights but the corners can get you when you least expect it. As you get inot the North half of the county you will find that the roads become straight and offer a less aggresive ride.  

Emergency Numbers
All emergencies 911 Of course.
La Crosse Police, 608-785-5952
La Crosse Cnty Police, 608-785-5942
Information Numbers
La Crosse Weather dial 608-782-4500 and then 1100

Bike Repairs & Supplies
All in La Crosse:
Steiger Kawasaki Suzuki KTM 608-788-4514
Two Brothers Honda 608-781-3360
R&J Motorsports (Yamaha) 608-785-1077
La Crosse Harley Davidson 608-783-6112

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 23 queries.