Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: The Long Ride Home......  (Read 16674 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: The Long Ride Home......
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »

Over the next 24 hours, a number of friends....most from this forum.....stopped by to get a peek at the new ride.

Lou & Terry (grandpa doc) and Mike (MAT) showed up.  We rode down the strand to Imperial Beach for a short ride......

We walked out to the end of the pier for the best fish & chips!

and, believe it or not, the Mexico border within eye sight, this is one place that people can get in the ocean between xmas and new year's without a wet suit.

We all had to start somewhere.......

Time for Lou & Terry and Mike to head back north.  As Babe and I rode in the driveway, Jon & Susan (Jonga & Wasjons) showed up.

Soon Andy & Sherry and Kerry & Christian showed up.  Soon it was time for dinner and we walked down to the Coronado Ferry Landing for dinner....

I really like this bike and the trailer (my 3rd Bushtec) but I'm most greatful for my friends that helped to get me back on a bike and make all of this possible!   :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »

JC I'm glad you made it home safe and are enjoying that beautiful bike. I hope this year finds you on many fantastic journey's riding with friends. Maybe someday when we see each other I can tell you more about the flag a-top the MS River bridge in your picture.  :2vrolijk_21:

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »

JC

Nancy and I are glad to be a part of you getting where you are today with that bike.
A couple thoughts, damn, for a single guy who's mission was to get to California as fast as possible you had a lot of luggage.
Had to be a hundred pounds of stuff. (I unloaded it out of the truck) Did you check the air in the shocks on the trailer.
They had 40 lbs when you left us. I asked because the wheels appear angled in in some of the pictures. A friend pm'd me and suggested I do a pressure check on the shock before you got there. I did and they held for a week. But that was just sitting in the car garage.

Did it use any oil? I changed the old oil (had about 5K miles on it) and put in 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1 20 X 50 and changed the filter. I'm sure you found it but the 1/2 qt. left was in the saddlebag. I'm of the opinion any bike/motor that can stand your riding for 2491 miles over 2.5 days at 80+ mph must be a good one.

We are also thankful for you getting home safe. It appears other site members have hit some really bad weather in Texas and are stuck.
It's hard to imagine you being stuck in any place for long. As you drove out of our garage at 1:00 am that Thursday morning I said to Nancy "our part of this great adventure is done." We were glad to have a small part of your coming home. Coming home was more than just getting home it was fun to be a part of you being back in the saddle.

With our son in the Coast Guard being transferred to San Diego I plan to call Andy about keeping that ultra exercised when we are there.
We look forward to seeing you and Andy in Ouray!

SBB

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:39:21 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »

JC I'm glad you made it home safe and are enjoying that beautiful bike. I hope this year finds you on many fantastic journey's riding with friends. Maybe someday when we see each other I can tell you more about the flag a-top the MS River bridge in your picture.  :2vrolijk_21:

not to mention how extremely lucky he was to be able to blast through there at 85mph without getting a ticket   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper:

loved reading about the adventure, and the ride report home.  congrats, nice looking rig.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »

Shortly after he got home to SoCal the snow cought up to him and us !!  Its got to be his fault, totally.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »

not to mention how extremely lucky he was to be able to blast through there at 85mph without getting a ticket   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper:

loved reading about the adventure, and the ride report home.  congrats, nice looking rig.

As many states as I went through on xmas day and the next day, I never saw one LEO.....not one highway patrol, not one sherriff, not one city police and my radar detector never went off all day long!  The best day of the year to travel by vehicle is xmas day....no traffic and no law! ;)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »

Most Excellent!  Let the new adventures begin!

:2vrolijk_21:

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

"IronMan Mooney"  :znotworthy:. I'm thrilled to see you back in the saddle and comfortable. 
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2015, 02:41:44 AM »

"IronMan Mooney"  :znotworthy:. I'm thrilled to see you back in the saddle and comfortable.

I don't know about "iron man".  I did this on a Harley, not in a Ural!  For those wanting to follow a real "journey", click on this link.....  http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

West Coast GTG   

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »

JCZ what a great story what a great adventure thank you for taking us on it with you.
Happy that you are back so ride on brother ride on  :bananarock:  :bananarock: :bananarock:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue: :coolblue:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »

Thanks for the Journey JC.       :2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2015, 07:33:46 AM »

Beautiful rig, great story and a safe trip home, the best part though..... IMO is that your back didn't bother you the whole way  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »

This is the most awesome story I have ever read.  :).  JC, I remember when you hung up your gear and walked away from your passion.  I cried but understood why you did what you had too do.  Reading this story and seeing you back in the saddle warms my heart!  This is the best news I've read this year  :P.  Now, why the heck didn't you call Mee when you went through Las Cruces?  Did you forget that I live there now?  I often run up to the dealer in El Paso and would have loved to of seen you.   ;D

To Chip and Nancy., Thank you for your kindness!  This isn't the first story where I have read about you going out of your way to help a friend.  Your kindness is amazing and I'm so happy to call you both my friends.  God Bless you both. 
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »

Judy, 2500 miles in two and a half days doesn't allow much time for social visits.  When I got to your neck of the woods it was so cold I was afraid if I stopped anywhere longer than to gas up, that I'd be frooze in place.  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »

Judy, 2500 miles in two and a half days doesn't allow much time for social visits.  When I got to your neck of the woods it was so cold I was afraid if I stopped anywhere longer than to gas up, that I'd be frooze in place.  :nervous:

Yep, I would have carted your butt to my house and made you stay the night!  I'm proud of you "Old Man."  You can ride with me anyday!   :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 25 queries.