Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles  (Read 14524 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2020, 06:31:30 AM »

Moonshine Harley and Fort Walton Beach has the same owner?!
Did a search and it shows different owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Three years ago they were the same owner.  I did not know one of them sold, or changed hands.

Guess your not going to tell us who the shoddy dealer is that thinks its ok to replace failed lifters and leave the dirty contaminated oil in your bike.

I would never want them to touch my bike for any reason.

You or I or most normal people would have.  A dealership and manufacturer that won't even cover the cost of a few quarts of oil when they're doing work that has had to have seen oil contamination....  them....; not a freaking chance. 

Wankers.  Cheap wankers at that.

Oh yeah, as I'm putting mine back together I'm actually using all four brand new lifters  :drummer: :huepfenlol2: :drummer: !

Sad that a dealership can't afford an oil filter and four quarts of oil to do the job right.

Seeing we won't know which dealership I'll just avoid all with in 100 miles of Nashville.

There are still good dealers out there.  When the MoCo said to just do the top end and cam when my lifters failed on my 15, my local dealer went to bat, showed them pictures of lifter metal in the oil filter, on the drain plug and so on, I ended up with a new motor. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2020, 07:59:46 AM »

While not knowing for certain I would nonetheless be surprised if it is a Boswell dealership. I’ve known the owner Bubba Boswell for many years a he is an old time dealer. His father started the dealership many years ago. If it is one if his dealerships though I’d contact him.  He’s active on Facebook or I can probably get a phone number for him. PM me if I can help.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »

While not knowing for certain I would nonetheless be surprised if it is a Boswell dealership. I’ve known the owner Bubba Boswell for many years a he is an old time dealer. His father started the dealership many years ago. If it is one if his dealerships though I’d contact him.  He’s active on Facebook or I can probably get a phone number for him. PM me if I can help.

No it’s not Boswell , really don’t want to put the dealership name out there ... They still have my bike... it’s ready for me to pick it up... and then I’ll put the name out there

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »

Well after reading this thread I am in shock. Well not really. Same ole BS we have had to put up with for quite a while now. Now I have a question that no one has asked yet. Why are these new M8 motors having just the front lifters failing???? Inquiring minds need to know.

I wanted another new CVO and was ready to buy with this pandemic going on. I figure I would get a good deal. BUT I'm thinkin I am just going to sit back and watch this show unfold.

Be Safe

THE DAWG   
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:11 PM »

Well after reading this thread I am in shock. Well not really. Same ole BS we have had to put up with for quite a while now. Now I have a question that no one has asked yet. Why are these new M8 motors having just the front lifters failing???? Inquiring minds need to know.

I wanted another new CVO and was ready to buy with this pandemic going on. I figure I would get a good deal. BUT I'm thinkin I am just going to sit back and watch this show unfold.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Talked to HD customers service today and , they seems to be no help at all, they told me that the work order requested for the front two lifters and there was nothing on it about requesting and oil change and that he was a mechanic and couldn’t advise me one way or the other!
Now my question is while replacing the front two lifters, did they do it right or did they put adjustable push rods back in?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »

Talked to HD customers service today and , they seems to be no help at all, they told me that the work order requested for the front two lifters and there was nothing on it about requesting and oil change and that he was a mechanic and couldn’t advise me one way or the other!
Now my question is while replacing the front two lifters, did they do it right or did they put adjustable push rods back in?

If they wouldn’t change the oil, I highly doubt that they would have put adjustable push rods in

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2020, 07:43:43 PM »

If they wouldn’t change the oil, I highly doubt that they would have put adjustable push rods in

Well in order to do it right wouldn’t they would of have taken off the rocker arm cover and the rocker arm to pull the push rods or did they just cut the push rods in it and put adjustable push rods back in ,to get the job done quicker?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »

I am sure being warranty work they did the job the way they make more money.  So if it pays more for all the labor they would not cut them and put adjustable in.  If all the labor of the long way had enough money in it to make up the cost of adjustable push rods, and they would make more money that way, they would go that way.  But warranty would not pay for adjustable rods, so its if they can make it up in time.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2020, 08:08:19 AM »

I am sure being warranty work they did the job the way they make more money.  So if it pays more for all the labor they would not cut them and put adjustable in.  If all the labor of the long way had enough money in it to make up the cost of adjustable push rods, and they would make more money that way, they would go that way.  But warranty would not pay for adjustable rods, so its if they can make it up in time.
UPDATE
Went to pick my bike up yesterday and the service manager came out after I requested for him to know that I was here to pick up the bike, he wasn’t happy with me at all, he want to know why did I score them so low on the survey that HD sent out to me, i explained to him all of what I’ve been told and what has and hasn’t been done, he agreed to change my oil and also change my wife’s oil in her freewheeler, after doing a recall on her traction control.
While riding home 30 miles from the shop the check engine light and temp light came on , stopped and call the shop back and he send the driver to pick my bike back up and call me late yesterday and said that I was his top priority today and he would deliver the bike back to me today.
Not sure how he knew it was me on the survey that I received in my email.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »

so, if the w/o didn't request oil change, that tells me the service mgr or tech didn't ask or suggest it except to see if you'd pay up.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2020, 11:01:44 AM »

Now this is getting more interesting!!!! Hopefully you get your bike back today and all is well...

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »

terry, been a week.  any updates?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »

terry, been a week.  any updates?

I am very interested to hear the out come on the latest as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2020, 07:20:45 AM »

UPDATE
Went to pick my bike up yesterday and the service manager came out after I requested for him to know that I was here to pick up the bike, he wasn’t happy with me at all, he want to know why did I score them so low on the survey that HD sent out to me, i explained to him all of what I’ve been told and what has and hasn’t been done, he agreed to change my oil and also change my wife’s oil in her freewheeler, after doing a recall on her traction control.
While riding home 30 miles from the shop the check engine light and temp light came on , stopped and call the shop back and he send the driver to pick my bike back up and call me late yesterday and said that I was his top priority today and he would deliver the bike back to me today.
Not sure how he knew it was me on the survey that I received in my email.

So the dealership give you the run around, you tell the truth in a survey and then they jump your azz because you told the truth.  If I confronted a customer like that I would be in the soup line.  I hope you get things straightened out.  Once you are finished dealing with the AZZ Clowns in the Service Department I would be talking to the owner.  Problem with that is then he will jump in the Service Managers azz and then you will have strike 2 in the Service Managers eyes.  I feel for you as you seem to be in a no win situation unless you go to a different dealer.  One hell of a position to be in after spending that kind of $$$.

Best of luck

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »

So the dealership give you the run around, you tell the truth in a survey and then they jump your azz because you told the truth.  If I confronted a customer like that I would be in the soup line.  I hope you get things straightened out.  Once you are finished dealing with the AZZ Clowns in the Service Department I would be talking to the owner.  Problem with that is then he will jump in the Service Managers azz and then you will have strike 2 in the Service Managers eyes.  I feel for you as you seem to be in a no win situation unless you go to a different dealer.  One hell of a position to be in after spending that kind of $$$.

Best of luck

Regardless of possible repercussions, I would also suggest a sit down "chat" with the owner, and the result would tell me if I need to start using another dealership for service going forward.  Fortunately, you are not tied to the selling dealership for warranty work or recall work or anything else.  If this is the way the owner lets his service department treat people however, don't be surprised if he blows you off or refuses to even sit down and talk with you.  Way too many good small mom and pop dealerships were forced out by Harley ten to twenty years ago, and they in many cases were replaced by hot shot used car dealer types that would agree to build bigger and fancier facilities and promote whatever Harley told them to promote.  The old mom and pop places didn't normally screw over customers, they wanted their repeat business.  The new breed seems to be the polar opposite.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.