Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles  (Read 14518 times)

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »

Regardless of possible repercussions, I would also suggest a sit down "chat" with the owner, and the result would tell me if I need to start using another dealership for service going forward.  Fortunately, you are not tied to the selling dealership for warranty work or recall work or anything else.  If this is the way the owner lets his service department treat people however, don't be surprised if he blows you off or refuses to even sit down and talk with you.  Way too many good small mom and pop dealerships were forced out by Harley ten to twenty years ago, and they in many cases were replaced by hot shot used car dealer types that would agree to build bigger and fancier facilities and promote whatever Harley told them to promote.  The old mom and pop places didn't normally screw over customers, they wanted their repeat business.  The new breed seems to be the polar opposite.

JMHO - Jerry
Regardless of possible repercussions, I would also suggest a sit down "chat" with the owner, and the result would tell me if I need to start using another dealership for service going forward.  Fortunately, you are not tied to the selling dealership for warranty work or recall work or anything else.  If this is the way the owner lets his service department treat people however, don't be surprised if he blows you off or refuses to even sit down and talk with you.  Way too many good small mom and pop dealerships were forced out by Harley ten to twenty years ago, and they in many cases were replaced by hot shot used car dealer types that would agree to build bigger and fancier facilities and promote whatever Harley told them to promote.  The old mom and pop places didn't normally screw over customers, they wanted their repeat business.  The new breed seems to be the polar opposite.

JMHO - Jerry
Requested several times and called to speak with the owner, only to be told he’s busy, just stepped out.
The service manager wasn’t happy with my low score and stated that it will be sent out again and he wanted 10’s on all the questions !
But I do get my bike back after the check engine light an temp light came on and it was fixed. Service manager said it had air in the coolant line and that he drained the coolant and put new in it. Really hadn’t a chance to ride it to put any miles on it to see if anything will come back.
Just goes to show everyone, that while buying a bike $$$ everyone there is your best friends, after the sale no one really wants to deal with you. We’ve brought 2 bikes from them and brought a family member in and they brought a cvo street glide as well from the same dealership!
Just sad!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »

Requested several times and called to speak with the owner, only to be told he’s busy, just stepped out.
The service manager wasn’t happy with my low score and stated that it will be sent out again and he wanted 10’s on all the questions!
But I do get my bike back after the check engine light an temp light came on and it was fixed. Service manager said it had air in the coolant line and that he drained the coolant and put new in it. Really hadn’t a chance to ride it to put any miles on it to see if anything will come back.
Just goes to show everyone, that while buying a bike $$$ everyone there is your best friends, after the sale no one really wants to deal with you. We’ve brought 2 bikes from them and brought a family member in and they brought a cvo street glide as well from the same dealership!
Just sad!!!!!!!!!!!

It's sad when making money and ratings becomes more important than people and customers. I'd show up with the consumer reporter from the local TV station.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »

Dealer commenting on the survey results was out of line.  They stepped up but not in the way they should have.  It is sad. I would find another dealer if at all possible.

Easy enough to see with this real life example why HD is slip sliding away - from top to bottom there are a lot of problems.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »

I find it odd that companies now have to beg (or in some case issue “veiled” threats) to get good reviews. From AT&T, the auto parts store, car dealers,  etc. They spend more time telling you how important their follow up customer surveys are to them rather than focusing on the needs of the customer and the purchase of goods or services they just made.

Here is a novel, albeit antiquated, idea.  Treat your customers like they are the only person in your world at that moment. Provide answers to their questions without the use of your cell phone. Let them know how much you appreciate them choosing YOU or YOUR BUSINESS to spend THEIR money with.

Then, they will leave so happy that they will share their experience with everyone they see and will recommend YOUR business. No third party phone surveys required.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »

That’s right. Word of mouth is better than any survey!

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »

Terry

Sorry to read about all of your issues.  It appears the dealer is only concerned about sales and not customer satisfaction after the sale.

Agree word of mouth is better than a survey.

Can you share the name of the dealer?  Just want to make sure I never set foot in that dealership.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »

I find it odd that companies now have to beg (or in some case issue “veiled” threats) to get good reviews. From AT&T, the auto parts store, car dealers,  etc. They spend more time telling you how important their follow up customer surveys are to them rather than focusing on the needs of the customer and the purchase of goods or services they just made.

Here is a novel, albeit antiquated, idea.  Treat your customers like they are the only person in your world at that moment. Provide answers to their questions without the use of your cell phone. Let them know how much you appreciate them choosing YOU or YOUR BUSINESS to spend THEIR money with.

Then, they will leave so happy that they will share their experience with everyone they see and will recommend YOUR business. No third party phone surveys required.

Amen!!! Sometimes the old way(s) of doing things are a whole lot better.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2020, 07:28:19 AM »

Amen!!! Sometimes the old way(s) of doing things are a whole lot better.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

What a concept!!..take a real interest in the person you are working with!! How many other people do they know?? that will sing your song .. That my friends is the most powerful sales tool on the planet!
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Adrian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2020, 12:35:37 AM »

I would almost bet it's a lifter

SilverFatBoy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

• CVO1: 2016 CVO RGU
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »

There are three Boswell owned dealers in Nashville.  Another Boswell in Cookville TN  Sort of surprised that your being teated like this from them.  I have had great luck with the cookeville store as have friends of mine.  Have met the owner a few times.  Maybe Nashville stores are run different.

Moonshine Harley is the other one near Nashville in Franklin.  Same owners as Fort Walton Beach Harley.  Don't know anything about them.

Moonshine H-D has a YouTube channel. They seem to have a lot of fun, but mainly do upgrades (in their videos, at least)

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2020, 12:06:30 AM »

Agreed. Change the oil.

GM lifters agreed but they are working against 90lb seat springs with valves just as heavy as the CVO. Better geometry, mild lobes. The M8 has 140lb cumulative pressure seat stock, CVO 110 165#@ 1.835 and spring rate of 441#
Eyes go to lifters and as Jerry states crud gets trapped in the lifters. It is the best oil filter, problem is when junk gets in there there is no way out and the motor will sound like hell until the lifters are changed.
And one cam lobe and lifter actuates two valves and springs on the M8, so almost twice the load, I can't think of any other engine that uses this cost cutting design. I am sure there has been one though as HD doesn't invent anything new.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:23 PM »

Lots of 4 valve engines are this way whether push rod or overhead cam activated. 2 smaller springs may have same load or less than one big one.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.