Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad accident near Big Bend  (Read 2186 times)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Bad accident near Big Bend
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:34:15 PM »

Just returned from a trip to the Big Bend area and the Davis mountains. Beautiful country, and this time of year, the temps are perfect for riding.  Sunday AM, we left Big Bend/Study Butte to ride the River Road ( 170 ) to Presidio for Breakfast. This is a roller coaster type road with lots of turns and some very severe grade changes. Perfect motorcycle road, but you have to be careful. On our return trip, we came upon a bad accident. A group of Harleys from Abilene were coming around a corner when the number three bike ran too wide on a right hand curve and hit the guard rail hard. He was laying on the road when we got there with fellow riders trying to help. His bike looked bad. The front wheel was completely ripped off the bike. You're out in the middle of nowhere out there, so help is a long time coming. One of the bikes was a black/orange jester. Just curious if that B/O bike is a member here and if he had any info on the rider. We stopped briefly just to see if we could help and to find out what happened. Just a reminder for everyone to be careful out there. We had several close calls with deer and at last count my son counted over 20 road kill deer on the side of the road. This time of year, they're everywhere.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
Re: Bad accident near Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:56:52 PM »

Robert,

Those kinds of things when come upon them can be unnerving.   On a Sunday a couple of years ago were going to Muenster to eat lunch and three guys on Honda sport bikes passed us on a two lane east of Pilot Point dong about 100mph.  I thought to myself we would be seeing those boys again.  Sure enough one of them lost control on a flat, hit a bridge railing and was laying in the middle of the road.  Help was on the way but he was already gone.  Found out a couple of days later, he was 23 years old.

My sons girl friend did not want to get back on the bike.  Glad you and you group made it back safe.  Hope the people involved in the accident got help and survived. 

There is a good article this month in Ride Texas magazine about an experienced rider that lost control and was killed on a road outside of Cranfills Gap.  It is tragic when it happens.

Every one ride safe.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Texas Lurker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:34 AM »

You know the more we ride & the more people we meet that ride the more we're going to hear tragic stories like these. We all need to be extremely careful out there & ask GOD to keep us safe. Linny

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:06:02 AM »

Robert,

Those kinds of things when come upon them can be unnerving.   On a Sunday a couple of years ago were going to Muenster to eat lunch and three guys on Honda sport bikes passed us on a two lane east of Pilot Point dong about 100mph.  I thought to myself we would be seeing those boys again.  Sure enough one of them lost control on a flat, hit a bridge railing and was laying in the middle of the road.  Help was on the way but he was already gone.  Found out a couple of days later, he was 23 years old.

My sons girl friend did not want to get back on the bike.  Glad you and you group made it back safe.  Hope the people involved in the accident got help and survived. 

There is a good article this month in Ride Texas magazine about an experienced rider that lost control and was killed on a road outside of Cranfills Gap.  It is tragic when it happens.

Every one ride safe.

john

John, I just finished reading that article. Gave me chills as we ride those same roads often.

Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »

I hope he was ok.  It is always unnerving to see a biker down.  It happened to us on our last trip to AR/OK.  Came around a corner and saw a Gold Wind on its side with the rider sitting up holding his head.  It appeared he was ok, but it shakes me up for awhile and reminds me to always ride within my limits and experience level.

BTW, I plan on riding Big Bend in the Spring.  I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.