Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rider Downed by Lightning  (Read 1682 times)

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
    • Weather in my neck of the woods
Rider Downed by Lightning
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »

This is from Lawrence, KS. Very tragic.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-lightning-death-042509,0,5240629.story

LAWRENCE, KAN - While on a ride with Bikers Against Child Abuse, lightning struck and killed Troy Gentzler, 45, of Lawrence, Kan. Gentzler was killed instantly when friends say lightning hit him just before five Saturday, throwing him off his bike.

It happened on Highway 24 between Meridan and Lawrence, Kan. The group was finishing a 100-mile ride, commemorating National Child Abuse Prevention and Awareness Month. BACA members work with abused kids to help restore their trust in adults and the world around them.

When the accident happened, BACA members say they had just left the house of a child in the program they were visiting.

"There was a huge flash and a sound like kinda like when you've heard lightning hit a transformer, almost like a really loud shotgun blast," said Lucy, BACA member. "We were blinded momentarily because the light was so bright."

The strike happened right in front of Gentzler's fiance, who was riding her motorcycle behind him. One other biker was hurt and is recovering.

Members say it helps them knowing Gentzler or 'Cowboy' as they knew him, spent his last moments doing what he loved.

For more information about BACA, visit their website: http://www.bacausa.com.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:54:18 PM by HackNDos »
Paul

--------

You ever stop to think.... and forget to start again?

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Re: Rider Downed by Lightning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »

What are the odds?
When its your day, it's your day.
I feel for his friends and family.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »

The odds are pretty remote.  But I used to know a guy in Illinois who was struck while riding.

I'll spare the long story but he was coming back from Michigan & was hustling to outrun a storm behind him.

Last thing he remembered was passing a car at ~90 mph.

Apparently on this highway, the road was elevated over crossroads (limited access freeway).

He gets to the top of a rise going over a secondary road, and bang!  Lightning strike to the helmet.  He goes down, slides quite a ways.  Was wearing full leathers which helped a lot.

As luck would have it, the guy in the car he passed was a doctor driving along with his wife.  They come across the crash and stop.  The doctor literally revived the guy back to life on the spot.  Ambulance & all the rest of course afterward.

It's lucky to survive lightning.  It's lucky to survive a 90 mph crash (on 2 wheels or 4).  Sorry to hear about the fellow in Kansas.  As they say, I guess his number was up.  It really seems like a random event, odds way against it happening but it does anyway sometimes.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:33:08 AM »

damn, that sucks   :(

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:05:59 AM »

The only thing that I can say.....He had some higher power looking over him.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

Sad to hear. It is not in our hands when it is our time. At least he was doing something he enjoyed.... as if that makes this tragic event any better! Prayers and thoughts go out to his family and friends.
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.