Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Common Oil Viscosity Data  (Read 5788 times)

J.D.

Common Oil Viscosity Data
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »

Below is a comparison chart of some of the various oils commonly used in Harleys (with some reference oils added).  Note that the list is abbreviated with generally 1 specific product per given type.

There's always a lot of debate around which is best.  Like most people here, I've come to my own decisions, based on a number of criteria - viscosity, price, availability, user reviews, supplier reputation, manufacturer recommendation, and personal experience all factor in.

How do you make your choices?

J.D.

Re: Common Oil Viscosity Data
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:42:39 PM »

Again the ref. chart:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »

How do you make your choices?

I start a new oil thread and let the highbrow philosophical discussion that ensues inform me.  :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:59:14 AM »

I start a new oil thread and let the highbrow philosophical discussion that ensues inform me.  :huepfenlol2:

Blasphemy,  us True Believers know which oil is best, and why, and we read stuff on the internet that Must Be True to reaffirm our foregone conclusions, as the motorcycle gods intended.
 :drink: :huepfenjump3:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »

All joking aside, I'm always curious what fluids guys are using, especially guys with power mods.  For example, I've already learned that some guys run ATF and Rotella in their primaries, and MA or MA2 is the wet clutch spec for motor oil.

On the other side, locally, I don't know how many times I've heard "whatever the dealer put in".  Don't even know.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:03:03 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »

I've seen that as well using ATF in the primary to eliminate clutch drag that is complained a lot about having myself included. 
I've considered changing over to help with the drag but I have a concern about ATF giving the compensator  adequate lubrication. As it doesn't have the best as it goes with the motor oil

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »

Yeah, oil threads are required by law here, some sort of quota for MC forums.   ;D   

Have used Syn3, Amsoil, & Valvoline for the motor over the past few years.  Honestly have not seen any difference as to noise or performance or what the filter looks like if sliced in half.

Am running HD Formula A+ in the primary.  Syn 3 in the transmission now, may change that out, maybe Redline.

You may get a lot of responses as to why this oil is better or that oil is crap.  It's sort of like politics/religion.  True believers, heretics, and many who are the Great Unwashed.  (Wax & polish threads take care of that subject similarly). ;)

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »

My personal observations and criteria:

Transmission:
Shifts quietly
Clicks into gear quickly and easily
Drain plug is clean at change
Dyed (not colorless) a plus
Seals don't weep

Primary:
Acceptable cold drag
Good hot performance/doesn't slip
Good clutch engagement "feel"

Motor oil:
Minimal oil consumption between changes
Good cold and hot oil pressure across RPM range
Some zinc additive (I don't have cats)
Some detergent additive but minimal (I don't do high mileage change intervals)
Dyed (not colorless) a plus

Some observations:
75w-90 feels good in transmission but 75w-140 feels better
85w-140 in transmission didn't feel good when cold
20w-50 MA2 feels good hot in primary but 10w-40 felt better cold
Would like to find a primary oil that gives the clutch more engagement feel without sacrificing compensator protection

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »

Yeah, oil threads are required by law here, some sort of quota for MC forums.   ;D   

Have used Syn3, Amsoil, & Valvoline for the motor over the past few years.  Honestly have not seen any difference as to noise or performance or what the filter looks like if sliced in half.

Am running HD Formula A+ in the primary.  Syn 3 in the transmission now, may change that out, maybe Redline.

You may get a lot of responses as to why this oil is better or that oil is crap.  It's sort of like politics/religion.  True believers, heretics, and many who are the Great Unwashed.  (Wax & polish threads take care of that subject similarly). ;)

And how is that for the clutch drag?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »

And how is that for the clutch drag?

No problems in my 2017.  Have tried others, including Amsoil & Redline primary.  Redline is good too.  Syn3 in primary not as good, more noisy.

Long clutch pull on these newer bikes, less travel for friction area.  A bit of getting used to at first, not really an issue just had to get accustomed to the clutch lever travel.

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »

According to the interweb, these are the viscosity specs for Formula+:

cSt @ 40°C: 168.04
cSt @ 100°C: 20.10

Similar to 20w-50.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:37:20 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »

I've decided to try this for the transmission

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Fully-Synthetic-75w90-75W-90-Gear-Differential-Oil-1-Litre-GL-4-GL-5/121675875264?hash=item1c547283c0:g:H84AAOSwL7VWnfna

I wouldn't use that gear oil in the transfer. GL5 rated gear lines should not be used where yellow metal may be present. The extreme pressure additives in GL5 eat the brass parts. Stick with a GL4 manual transmission oil or a motor oil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »

Do the newer transmissions have brass parts?

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:37 AM »

Do the newer transmissions have brass parts?
I don't know but why risk it?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.