Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Info on Bike Stands... Might need to replace mine  (Read 2156 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Info on Bike Stands... Might need to replace mine
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »

Well I finally had a chance to get out to the garage to do a few things other than getting the snow blower out.  So I went to put my bike up on the jack for storage.  I have one of those $99.99 ones from Sears.  As I went to start jacking it up I noticed I lost compression before the first lockable point.  There was no resistance in the pedal and the bike would not lift any more.  I lowered the bike and brought the lift into a some what warmer area and let it sit for a day.  I tried to jack it up with nothing on it and still no lift.  Not sure if I can replace the bottle jack or if I should just get an new lift.

Any other jacks out there worth looking at besides the J & S?  Do WE still get a DISCOUNT from them?

Thanks for your time guys,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Info on Bike Stands... Might need to replace mine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »

Can't find the owner's manual on mine but seem to remember it came w/ another o-ring. I'm guessing your o-ring is shot.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »

Go to any auto parts store and get a better quality bottle jack. The ones that come with the lifts are very low quality.

doode

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Crimson Mist/Dark Slate
    • CVO2: 2006 CVO Screamin Eagle V-Rod - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »

I fought buying one of the J&S Jacks but finally caved in about a week ago. Now.......I wish I would have bought it sooner. I love it!!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »

I had a similar problem and spoke with my mechanic who topped up the chamber for me, and now it's as good as new!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »

See the post above.  Depending on how you store the lift, it's not unusual for the hydraulic fluid to migrate to areas other than the intended one.  I've always stored mine hanging from a big hook screwed into a wall stud and with just the front wheels touching the floor, and the original bottle jack didn't like that a whole lot.  After replenishing the hydraulic oil, which can be found at many auto parts places, Sears, etc., the jack started working fine again.  Eventually I just purchased another bottle jack and got rid of the cheap one that came with the lift.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »

See the post above.  Depending on how you store the lift, it's not unusual for the hydraulic fluid to migrate to areas other than the intended one.  I've always stored mine hanging from a big hook screwed into a wall stud and with just the front wheels touching the floor, and the original bottle jack didn't like that a whole lot.  After replenishing the hydraulic oil, which can be found at many auto parts places, Sears, etc., the jack started working fine again.  Eventually I just purchased another bottle jack and got rid of the cheap one that came with the lift.

Jerry

I store mine that way too.  I did not see any fluid or sign of a leak.  It happened this past summer when I had the jack down towards the floor. I then switched it so that the jack was on top and it seemed to fix the problem.  I wonder if the fluid froze.  It has been in the teens here and it is in my non heated garage. 

How hard is it to change out the jack? Any ideas on a replacement. Size and brand?

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

I store mine that way too.  I did not see any fluid or sign of a leak.  It happened this past summer when I had the jack down towards the floor. I then switched it so that the jack was on top and it seemed to fix the problem.  I wonder if the fluid froze.  It has been in the teens here and it is in my non heated garage. 

How hard is it to change out the jack? Any ideas on a replacement. Size and brand?

Topper

I'd let it warm up and give it another try.  "Teens" could certainly solidify the fluid...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »

I have a Larin ATVJ-2. Best jack I've ever had . Check it out.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.