Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Buffer Recommendations  (Read 3995 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Buffer Recommendations
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »

Thinking it's time to give my scoot a good once over with a buffer and good compound to get rid of the road scars accumulated from long distance touring.  I've got very small nicks and general clear coat scuffs that need to be buffed out.  I plan to mend the small nicks with touch up paint and then move on to buffing.

Is there a difference between electric vs pneumatic buffers..?  Thanks to a earlier thread, I saw this http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do

What would be the first polish or compound I would use to start removing the deepest of the clear coat scratches..?  Step 2 and 3..?  Any polish recommendations...  After I get the mechanical work done, I plan to go back to Glare as it's really performed well for me.

Thanks!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Buffer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

I can highly recommend the 3" polisher from Griot's Garage.  Get the orange pads for use when getting the scratches out of the paint/clearcoat, and the red pads for applying the final polish (Glare).  I've got the Glare Micro Finish, Spyder, and Professional Polish...those seem to work for all the scratches I've ever gotten on my bikes.  They also make one other that is more abrasive than the Micro (but none of it is very abrasive...not enough to worry about cutting through the clearcoat)...I think it's called Knockout.

You might also consider getting the little hand pad holder if you do the Griot's orbital...helps you get to those hard to reach places that the orbital can't do.  Their microfiber wash mitts are awesome too.  I'm even thinking about ordering their wash bucket.  Griot's is the ultimate place for the analy retentive... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »

I can highly recommend the 3" polisher from Griot's Garage.  Get the orange pads for use when getting the scratches out of the paint/clearcoat, and the red pads for applying the final polish (Glare).  I've got the Glare Micro Finish, Spyder, and Professional Polish...those seem to work for all the scratches I've ever gotten on my bikes.  They also make one other that is more abrasive than the Micro (but none of it is very abrasive...not enough to worry about cutting through the clearcoat)...I think it's called Knockout.

You might also consider getting the little hand pad holder if you do the Griot's orbital...helps you get to those hard to reach places that the orbital can't do.  Their microfiber wash mitts are awesome too.  I'm even thinking about ordering their wash bucket.  Griot's is the ultimate place for the analy retentive... ;)

+1 - Love all the Griots stuff. Getting ready to take the plunge on the Glare products.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »

Forgot to attempt an answer on the pneumatic/electric polisher.  The Pneu would be fine, if you have a good source of clean compressed air and the pressure can be maintained.  I'm not sure if the pneu would have variable speeds, and that would be a deal breaker for me.  The electric version (I got the 10' cord model...have plenty of extention cords) has 10 settings and from about 3-7 are useful when polishing the bike...the slower speeds for the orange pads and swirl remover, and the higher speeds for the real polishing part of the process, with the red (softer) pads.  It doesn't take much product to get the job done with this tool, it does a better job than you can with your hands, and if you don't put too much product on the pad, or lift the buffer up before letting it almost completely stop, you won't have any slinging of product all over the place.  The foam pads are really nice.

There's a couple of other guys on here who have the Griot 3" Orbital...at least one of them had the same, favorable results as I did.

TTS Mastertune

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »

Thanks for all the excellent info on  the polisher...  I'll be pulling the trigger on that purchase in the coming days.

Thanks again!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »

Autogeek had 15% off & Free Shipping. They run discounts often in the event this code no longer works.

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »

Autogeek had 15% off & Free Shipping. They run discounts often in the event this code no longer works.

coupon went out yesterday.....but they allowed a day extension :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »

Same kit as I have...with an electric orbital buffer.   

It does the job for me...  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »

Porter -Cable 7424 with 3M velcro pad. AutoGeek has all the good stuff. I use combination of 3" and 5" pads depending on area of the bike. I find the Porter-Cable easier to find, get warranty done on locally and cheaper than Girot unit, I have had both over the years. If you need warranty on Girot you have to send it back to them in CA. They inturn send it to the company that they buy it from, Takes awhile.
Porter-Cable has warranty providers over the country and Max at AutoGeek will also handle direct.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »

Porter -Cable 7424 with 3M velcro pad. AutoGeek has all the good stuff. I use combination of 3" and 5" pads depending on area of the bike. I find the Porter-Cable easier to find, get warranty done on locally and cheaper than Girot unit, I have had both over the years. If you need warranty on Girot you have to send it back to them in CA. They inturn send it to the company that they buy it from, Takes awhile.
Porter-Cable has warranty providers over the country and Max at AutoGeek will also handle direct.

You mean you use a 3 inch stuck to a 5 inch pad to get into the smaller spots? Or either pad interchanges on that buffer?   :confused5:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »

No I use a 5" backing plate (3M Yellow w/velcro) and I also have a 3" one.  I change the backing plate when I change pad size.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

No I use a 5" backing plate (3M Yellow w/velcro) and I also have a 3" one.  I change the backing plate when I change pad size.

Do you use the same pads for buffing scratches & polishing?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:23 AM »

Forgot to attempt an answer on the pneumatic/electric polisher.  The Pneu would be fine, if you have a good source of clean compressed air and the pressure can be maintained.  I'm not sure if the pneu would have variable speeds, and that would be a deal breaker for me.  The electric version (I got the 10' cord model...have plenty of extention cords) has 10 settings and from about 3-7 are useful when polishing the bike...the slower speeds for the orange pads and swirl remover, and the higher speeds for the real polishing part of the process, with the red (softer) pads.  It doesn't take much product to get the job done with this tool, it does a better job than you can with your hands, and if you don't put too much product on the pad, or lift the buffer up before letting it almost completely stop, you won't have any slinging of product all over the place.  The foam pads are really nice.

There's a couple of other guys on here who have the Griot 3" Orbital...at least one of them had the same, favorable results as I did.

What do you use to remove the swirl remover & polish?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »

What do you use to remove the swirl remover & polish?

Good microfiber cloths and my hands.  Getting Glare products off has never been a problem for me.  The machine just makes it easier to put it on and remove any swirl marks, etc.

Griot's Garage has 15% off and free shipping right now, thru 6/26 on all car care products.  Use key code:  EMXAWB

TTS Mastertune

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »

I purchased a Griots 6" buffer and the 3.5" set up.

Spent today learning on the scoots in the garage using the 3.5" setup and Honda Glare

Scoots look 1000% better, but I need some of the spider as the 04SEEG has some scratches still in it
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.