Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Some should just not ride/  (Read 5030 times)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Some should just not ride/
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »

I doubt that the bike went airborne before hitting the van, which would lead me to the conclusion that the bike DID hit the main structure of the van. I think the van AND the bike crumpled up like an accordion and was stuffed into the cargo area, after hitting the main rear structure of the van. Also remember the van was on a highway and was probably travelling over 65MPH when hit.

Take another look at the picture.  You're right, the bike was NOT airborne, but the front wheel only hit the rear bumper, the forks folded and the REST of the bike went through the rear door.  I'm aware the van was going highway speeds (or at least we'll make that assumption- that fact has not been proven/disproven), but you only need a moderate speed differential to do this type of damage.  Again, take a look at Jorge's F250 which hit a tree.  He was not going all that fast and had a whole lot more metal get bent up.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »

Take another look at the picture.  You're right, the bike was NOT airborne, but the front wheel only hit the rear bumper, the forks folded and the REST of the bike went through the rear door.  I'm aware the van was going highway speeds (or at least we'll make that assumption- that fact has not been proven/disproven), but you only need a moderate speed differential to do this type of damage.  Again, take a look at Jorge's F250 which hit a tree.  He was not going all that fast and had a whole lot more metal get bent up.

Dachari Walker-Johnson might have had the best view of the bizarre crash. The Suzuki roared past her car on I-75 a moment before the collision."He (the motorcyclist) was going so fast he didn't see that van," she speculated.

I have been on I-75 several times, and MOST people are travelling over 70 MPH, as I would assume the van and the witness were travelling. Since the witness states the motorcycle had just "roared" past their car and thought the motorcycle was going so fast he didn't see the van, I still believe the bike was doing as "most" crotch rocket riders do, and that is  --- riding like a bat out of h*ll.  I do know, that I am perfectly capable of seeing a van that has been travelling in the same direction "in front" of me on any highway -- even if I am doing "well" over the speed limit. I do not know if I could say that if I were travelling over 120 MPH  -- as I have never tried it on I-75, And my SECU would not support that type of speed, even if I wanted it to. We will probably never know his speed, but I do think that we can all agree  ---  this rider is one stupid son of a &*%#, and his luck ran out. Just to bad that everyone will now have to pay for his stupidity, since I doubt he has the money for restitution and hospital care.  How fast do you think you would have to be going to not see a van in front of you on I-75 ????
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:39:11 PM by 2harleys »

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »

How fast do you think you would have to be going to not see a van in front of you on I-75 ????

Truly not the smartest thing to have been doing, but since he doesn't remember anything, guess we'll never know.  I wonder if he was distracted or looking at his speedo or something too long and just didn't see the van before he closed in on it.

In any event, the real reason I felt compelled to post (a bit of humor)...

I think maybe he read your signature somewhere and literally tried to pull it off.  :P

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
 but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ............ "Holy s#!T...what a ride!"
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »

How fast do you think you would have to be going to not see a van in front of you on I-75 ????

You're correct, we'll never really know how fast this rider was going.  To take a cagers thought of "He was going so fast he didn't see the van" is a bit out of whack, though.  I have had the opportunity to spend time overseas with a high powered motorcycle (2 years in Germany with a V65 Sabre) and had more than a few occasions to get it wide open for more than a few miles.  The best times were when I had days off and the locals did not.  Federal holidays were great times to really "cover some ground".  The speedo went to 160 (mph-US spec bike) and I was always able to see the vehicles in front of me when the needle was pegged on the high side of that, though they did NOT always see me at that speed.  More than a few times I would go past somebody at speed and I'd watch them jerk the wheel in my mirror, clearly indicating they had NO idea I was there until I was well past them.

Anyway, I don't know how fast I'd have to go to "not see a van in front of me", but I do know that 160+ isn't fast enough.

Ride it with the front wheel up!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »

Looks like he got on the front brake real hard and that puts you in a straight line unless you want to lay it down, man i'm just glad I survived those years driving like an idiot!
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »

It's one thing to risk you life (your choice) but when you risk innocents (not their choice) thats bullchit!! Van passengers just damn lucky. Hate it for the kid, but his azz should have been locked up before this happened just because he's that STUPID. IMHO :confused5:

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »

Wasnt he passing the other car?? I am assuming that when he merged into the center lane to go around the vehicle infront of him..........thats when it happened. He prob didnt know the van was in that lane. maybe the van made a lane change just before he darted around. from where he was at (location on i-75), im guessing he had gotten on the onramp to i75 balls out and went to move to the faster lanes......... not always easy to see other cars on a 6 lane highway when your behind another car.....

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:40 AM »

Truly not the smartest thing to have been doing, but since he doesn't remember anything, guess we'll never know.  I wonder if he was distracted or looking at his speedo or something too long and just didn't see the van before he closed in on it.

It is always distressing when you hear about these incidents, but...unfortunately this is a case of another SpeedFreakRocketJockey with a bigger right wrist than brain!

We know he was (obviously) going faster than the van, so even if he was going 100mph, in the 2 seconds it would take to look at the speedo, register the speed and look-up he would have covered 97 yards. If he had been travelling at 120mph he would have coverd 117 yards in that time!!

Travelling at those speed with other traffic on the road is just crazy!
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.