Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs  (Read 22051 times)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »

Last night at Huntclub and Hawthorne (OTTAWA CANADA)  I came to a set of lights and stopped. The light turned green I started to drive forward behind a cager. Thats when I discovered the city had been digging holes and then covered them with steel sheets...and made little ramps with asphalt. Well my front tire mounted the first sheet at 5-10 mph and when it got to the second the asphalt had gone granular and the second sheet pulled my front wheel to the right and down when the bike.

It was 130 am... and I was pissed. I'm bruised up, glad I had the leathers on.

My only damage is to the fairing... the outer is cracked and the inner lost some pieces. I called Harley and the outer is $480... the Inner...$1200!!!! OMG Ebay here I come

And no I am not telling my insurance company about it... it would be an at fault claim... So I am taking the City of Ottawa to Small Claims court
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: SERG dropped #$%#$%$# city road repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »

Sorry to read this one, Gank.  Don't know about Canada but in the US, before you can go to court against a government entity, you have to file an administrative claim with that entity.   You might want to check on that.  Good luck! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »

No our only recourse is take the city to court

So far I have found two inner fairings for less than $200   This might be a Weekend upgrade... the paints going to be the tough part
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »

Good luck with your repairs and getting reimbursed from the City.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

Sorry to read this....it is amazing how often road repairs,etc are made without any thought given to 2 wheel vehicles being at risk.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »

Good luck with your repairs and getting reimbursed from the City.

X2  Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »

My guess, for the amount you are talking about, they will pay with a lot of resistance. Could cost them a lot more in regular court.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »

I am sorry to hear that. I hate seeing steel plates on the road, especially when they are wet or moist. Then they become like a sheet of ice.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »

No our only recourse is take the city to court

So far I have found two inner fairings for less than $200   This might be a Weekend upgrade... the paints going to be the tough part

I also live in Ontario. A few years back while driving in my truck on some township roads saw that the centre yellow lines were being painted. I was waved through by one of the road crew. Got home , and had yellow paint dots all over the vehicle.  That line paint does not come off easily. First off, Township didn't want to reimburse till I suggested Small Claims. Gave them the bill for $690.00 for buffing/recleaning and it was paid in a week.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »

The Max you can sue in Small Claims is $10 K.. so I will sue for the 10 K as my opening salvo... my costs plus pain and suffering.

I have a huge bruise on my hip, Dr says I will be sore for about 2 months, nothing long term thank god
To Libs and NDP

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »

Sorry to read this....it is amazing how often road repairs,etc are made without any thought given to 2 wheel vehicles being at risk.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.  spyder

Boy that's the truth! On our resant trip I was on a road that I believe had more tar repairs for the cracks in the ashpalt than there was asphalt. It was pouring rain and the bike was squirmy at the slightest movement of the handlebars. Then there is those stupid cables I was told came from the stimulus package, the ones they use to keep any oncoming traffic from crossing the median on some interstates. When I saw them putting them up I thought what they would do to me if I lost a tire and went off into them. It would cut you in two! :nervous:

Oops, didn't mean to defer from what happened to you Gank! Sorry to hear about your bike. I pray you will be compensated for it! Good luck and God Bless!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »

Thanks Guys... I was out looking at the old girl tonight... she looks so battered...
To Libs and NDP

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »

Sorry to here about your spill and the cause of it.  City should know better, since they don't your only recourse is to do what you have to do to get reimbursed.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27:12 AM »

The Max you can sue in Small Claims is $10 K.. so I will sue for the 10 K as my opening salvo... my costs plus pain and suffering.

I have a huge bruise on my hip, Dr says I will be sore for about 2 months, nothing long term thank god

Not so. January 1st of 2011 the maximum increased to $25,000.00 in Ontario.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »

Thanks for the update...$25 K thats great news.

Calling my local councilor this morning to complain... they need to do something to make sure this does not happen to someone else... but I am afraid that like most, he will do nothing until the city gets sued.
To Libs and NDP
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.