Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Russ Tom  (Read 4634 times)

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
Russ Tom
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:24:18 AM »

Bike builder killed in helicopter crash 'helped everybody'

By BRAD WONG
P-I REPORTER

Seattle native Russ Tom was known for his mean Harleys and earned a reputation as an innovative custom-motorcycle designer. His sleek, polished bikes with oversized parts went to customers nationwide.

But Rick Tom, his brother, wants Seattle-area residents to know that the 46-year-old, who died after a helicopter crash Sunday, was a "good Christian."

He remembered others and raised money for charities, including Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle, his brother said.

A day after his Robinson R44 helicopter crashed into Lake Tapps, family and friends mourned the former owner of the Harley-Davidson shops in Tukwila and downtown Seattle.

Witnesses on Sunday said they heard a bang, and the aircraft dropped into the lake. Tom's passenger, a 37-year-old woman, survived.

Investigators worked Monday to pull the wreckage from the lake so they could determine what caused the crash.

Yesterday, Russ Tom's friends and former customers streamed into the Tukwila motorcycle shop to pay their respects at a small memorial there. Others phoned and sent e-mails.

"He just helped everybody," Rick Tom said.

Terry Stallcop, now an owner and general manager of those Harley shops, called him one of the best custom-bike builders in the country. "Everyone is very shocked and sad," he said.

Born Aug. 18, 1960, Russ Tom entered the motorcycle business at his family's Seattle home in Rainier Valley.

On Martin Luther King Jr. Way, his father -- Carmen Tom -- started fixing up bikes. He began selling them in front of the house, and the business started in 1958.

It did so well -- selling brands such as Triumph, Vespa, Suzuki and Harley-Davidson -- that the family tore the house down to build a larger structure.

From kindergarten through high school, Russ Tom attended Seattle Christian Schools. There, his knack for design accelerated.

"He was a natural," his brother said. "He was a real perfectionist and wanted something different."

By the 1990s, he had taken over his father's motorcycle-shop business.

He was instrumental in opening the company's First Avenue location downtown, which focuses on Harley clothing and accessories. The Tukwila shop carries bikes.

On his Web site for his online motorcycle magazine, Sound RIDER!, publisher Tom Mehren wrote that Russ Tom helped develop a distinctive "coffin"-style gas tank.

One of his first creations was based on a 1972 Honda CB750. He also created custom bikes with names such as "Mean Streak" and "Beluga," Mehren said.

"They weren't retro-Gothic stuff," he said. "His work was very innovative and futuristic. That's not something you see a lot in the custom-bike world."

In April, he sold the motorcycle-shop business to pursue other interests.

In recent months, he focused on real estate development. He had bought 800 acres near Mount Rainier and wanted to subdivide the land to build homes.

"He loved anything -- motorcycles, cars, planes, boats," Rick Tom said. "He loved it all."

He is survived by his father Carmen Tom, 80, and his mother, Donna Tom, 76. Both live in Maple Valley.

He has two daughters, Emily and Alexandra, and three brothers, Rick, John and Mike.

A service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Puyallup Church of the Nazarene, 1026 Seventh Ave. S.W., Puyallup.

The family asks that any donations be made to Seattle Christian Schools, 18301 Military Road S., SeaTac, 98188, or Boyer Children's Clinic, 1850 Boyer Ave. E., Seattle, 98112.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
Re: Russ Tom
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:30:58 AM »

Russ was a great guy and liked by everyone.  There is going to be a Memorial Ride for Russ this weekend, Saturday I believe, starting at Downtown Harley in Tukwila. He is going to be missed around here.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:38:47 AM »

I rode a few time with Russ and "t[size=18]H[/size]e [size=18]D[/size]aves" (a custom bike club he started) and he was always in a friendly mood.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:46:03 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »

Blue Hornet 2001 by Russ Tom

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »

Rear view

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:12:08 AM »

Boardtrack Custom

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:52 AM »

Very sad he just sold the shop and retired about 2 months ago.

2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »

Very sad he just sold the shop and retired about 2 months ago.

mr_magoo, I did a search today to see when I was eligable to retire and it is not till 2012.  But you know we always hear such sad stories of folks who don't get to spend very many days enjoying thier retirement.  Maybe I should not consider going as soon as I am eligable?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Gorgeous Bikes, sad story.  

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »

mr_magoo, I did a search today to see when I was eligable to retire and it is not till 2012.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »

MrsWe, when I was in the Air Force and processing medical paperwork for retirement physicals, it ammazed me how many retirees didn't live long, whether from accidents or health reasons not conncted to discharge.

My Mom is 80 and retired about 8 years ago (for six months) and she now works a 6 hour day.
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »

Sad to read of his passing...He is in GOD's hands now...

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »

I hadn't heard of him but what nice bikes he built....God bless his family... :'(

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.