Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results  (Read 66350 times)

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

Re: 09 FLTRSE3 Dyno Results
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »

I added the Hard-Krome true dual Vortexx 4 inch muffler.  Have the Race tuner and replaced the air cleaner with the SE one and the results on the dyno are.

HP-90
Torque 112

No changes to cams but have had the recall on the heads completed

What bike and year?

Its a 07 SE Ultra
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »

I created this video to do a demo of our $30K Harley Sewing Machine Exhaust.  I used my trusty Radio Shack sound meeter and got it to peak out at 102db's at 5000RPM's!  I can get 103db's out of my Hawg-Wired stereo!  Sad, very sad...

Close your eyes while listening to this.  How many people would hear this bike running and think "Harley?" Not me...

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »

That sounds horrible, I'd get rid of those crappy sounding stockers and put some decent sounding mufflers on.  :-[
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 06:48:27 PM »

Very interesting video!  How do you know where to position the sound meter to get a correct reading?  Seems as if it was at the rear of the bike it would read higher, no?  Also, you're picking up some engine noise with it where you had it mounted, too, I would suspect.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »

Jim,

Sounds to me like somebody needs to step up to the plate and kill their cat. After all, it is crappin in all the damn flower beds.   :drink:

Seriously though, Short Block is supposed to let me know tomorrow, if there will be any value in keeping them.
The impossible just takes a little longer

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »

I hear ya Iglide :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not a cop.  I am not trying to measure sound from a regulatory perspective.  If I were 200' away the sound would likely be zero DB!  My objective is to establish reference data and a repeatable experiment.  Is the exhaust louder?  Does it sound better?  Hard to say unless I know what I started with.  When the exhaust is changed, and rest assured it will be, I will create a video using the exact same db meeter positioning and camera mic.  We will all discover together if the changes I'm making are better or worse.  Either way it will help my fellow CVO owners that are in the same boat I'm in. 

FWIW, I'm using a special camera mount that isolates vibration to keep frame vibration from transferring into the meeter and interfering with the reading.  I pointed the meter pickup rearward in an upward direction so it would pickup the pipes more than engine.  I'm sure engine noise is picked up, but it is what it is.  This is what we all hear when riding these $30K sewing machines.   

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »

Sounds like your doing a very worthwhile experiment that will definitely help many with their decision on mufflers for their CVO.  Picking up the sound in the position that you say where you positioned the sound pickup is exactly the right place to put it.  When we ride the sound in the riding position is what we hear.  My new Hard-Krome pipes and mufflers sound loud while riding but from behind it they have a different sound.  I think what your doing is very worth while.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »

http://www.jeffsautobodyshop.com/hd1.wmv 2'' fullsac cores.. better?
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 09:09:51 PM »

Sounds a lot better!  I'm going to do a similar experiment with the 1 3/4's Fullsec's since so many people are doing the 2".  If time permits I will do a test with the cat and without. 

Great video.  Thank you! 

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »

The 2" Fullsac cores sound a lot better! I expect to receive mine on Tuesday which means that by next weekend my bike will sound alive.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »

I hear ya Iglide :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not a cop.  I am not trying to measure sound from a regulatory perspective.  If I were 200' away the sound would likely be zero DB!  My objective is to establish reference data and a repeatable experiment.  Is the exhaust louder?  Does it sound better?  Hard to say unless I know what I started with.  When the exhaust is changed, and rest assured it will be, I will create a video using the exact same db meeter positioning and camera mic.  We will all discover together if the changes I'm making are better or worse.  Either way it will help my fellow CVO owners that are in the same boat I'm in. 

FWIW, I'm using a special camera mount that isolates vibration to keep frame vibration from transferring into the meeter and interfering with the reading.  I pointed the meter pickup rearward in an upward direction so it would pickup the pipes more than engine.  I'm sure engine noise is picked up, but it is what it is.  This is what we all hear when riding these $30K sewing machines.   

Thanks for the explanation.  I was simply being inquisitive, not critical.

The results were pretty surprising in that the dB was higher at 4,000 rpm than 5,000, showing that the pitch of the motor, although it seems as if it would be louder, isn't really contributing to the dB at all.

I look forward to your future clips!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »

Yep, I was curious about that as well.  My theory it is a combination of the exhaust back pressure and the cam that is causing this.  I'm re-posting my stock dyno results to compare with. 

at 2K its running about 82HP & 102 db
at 3K its running about 83HP & 96 db - believe exhaust restriction is building too much back pressure at this point and choking the engine.  The cam is also weak in this range.  There is virtually no increase in HP or torque from 2K-3K.  My assumption is that this combo is why the db's drop. 
at 4K its running about 94HP & 104 db - this is at or near peak engine/cam efficiency point. 
at 5K its running about 80HP & 102 db - engine is working as hard as it can, but has bottomed out.  This is where the cam and exhaust take the engine to its knees.  Air can't get in or out, which is why its getting quieter even though the engine is working harder. 

This is my working theory anyway.  When I change the exhaust and do another dyno/video I'm hoping things will start coming together in the low-mid ranges.  Cam & head work will be required to get the engine to be efficient above 4K rpm.  We will likely see the db drop off at 5K in the post exhaust mod tests as well.  Stay tuned...

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

I can finally say so long to my cat.  This was pretty darn easy with the right tools.  Get a 1.6" core bit and it will come out like butter.  You do need a good drill though.  The cat is solid.  It takes a drill with good torque to get it out.  Slow and easy is the key to success with this one. 

So what's the verdict?  It's restrictive - duh! 

I did a db video ramp test, but don't have time to upload it.  I will upload it later if you guys want to see it. 

Here are the results:
Idle with cat: 93db - w/o cat: 96db
2K with cat: 102db - w/o cat: 100db
3K with cat: 96db - w/o cat: 101db
4K with cat: 104db - w/o cat: 105db
5K with cat: 102db - w/o cat: 106db

A few things I find interesting... 
1) at 2K the engine is quieter (e.g. not working as hard)
2) The db ramp up is smooth and linear instead of up and down like before. 
3) The exhaust is still very restrictive, yet the bike is more responsive.  It doesn't take as much throttle to get the same speeds.  The engine also seems to be running cooler. 

How does it sound now?  Well the exhaust is still pathetic, but I can am starting to hear the Harley sound coming through :bananarock:

Here's a video of the Stock exhaust with the converter and then without:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:18:50 PM by Jim Kerr »

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »

So why do they advertise this bike with 115 ftlbs of torque ? I have read more then one article claiming that torque figure and it even shows it on the HD site.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »

So why do they advertise this bike with 115 ftlbs of torque ? I have read more then one article claiming that torque figure and it even shows it on the HD site.

They're measuring at the crank, not the rear wheel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.