Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: First bit of damage  (Read 6998 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: First bit of damage
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 10:54:50 PM »

Oh BTW I have another concern. If they change the frame won't this then mean I won't have matching VIN numbers therefore depreciating the value of my bike?????

The dealer will most likely have to cut the neck off the frame and send it back to HD before they will produce another with the matching VIN. That is why it will take so long for the repairs :'(

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 01:11:50 AM »

Ok, I got my completed wreck estimate today. The following needs to be replaced on my fatboy

Stator
Frame
Bracket ( front spoiler)
front spoiler
mounting block
drain plug
primary cover gasket
washer
chrome voltage kit
some nuts some screws and some lube plus labor

$5,105.89
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 02:33:18 AM »

Ok, I got my completed wreck estimate today. The following needs to be replaced on my fatboy

Stator
Frame
Bracket ( front spoiler)
front spoiler
mounting block
drain plug
primary cover gasket
washer
chrome voltage kit
some nuts some screws and some lube plus labor

$5,105.89

Don't forget Scott, they knew you'd damaged the bike on their property, and know you know with how much damage; and they let you ride off that way.....

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 12:05:49 PM »

Just wanted to post an update. I had emailed the city and told them the story about what happened to my bike. Within 24 hours they went to the dealership and patched the problem spot in the parking lot, they also looked at my bike and told the dealer that they will be paying for my bike to be fixed as soon as I file the claim. I have yet to file the claim as I awaiting a call back from one of the clerks about also including a rental in the claim as this is my primary vehicle. SO it looks like the repairs are covered, will let you know if they give me a rental as well as soon as I find out.If they do it's gonna have to be an Ultra to get me close to what I was already riding.the stock fatboyu just won't do it for me...lol. I could be ok on a stock ultra for a few months though. My only fear with that is I will end up wanting a CVO Ultra of my own after riding that a bit I bet.[smiley=dizzy2.gif]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 12:21:05 PM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

That is wonderful news Scott.  Congrats they met the appropriate responsibility without having to be persuaded too long or too hard.  Still a shame, however, that you have to be without the bike so long.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »

Just wanted to post an update. I had emailed the city and told them the story about what happened to my bike. Within 24 hours they went to the dealership and patched the problem spot in the parking lot, they also looked at my bike and told the dealer that they will be paying for my bike to be fixed as soon as I file the claim. I have yet to file the claim as I awaiting a call back from one of the clerks about also including a rental in the claim as this is my primary vehicle. SO it looks like the repairs are covered, will let you know if they give me a rental as well as soon as I find out.If they do it's gonna have to be an Ultra to get me close to what I was already riding.the stock fatboyu just won't do it for me...lol. I could be ok on a stock ultra for a few months though. My only fear with that is I will end up wanting a CVO Ultra of my own after riding that a bit I bet.[smiley=dizzy2.gif]

Sounds like the city may have contacted the dealer to confirm your story.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 02:41:27 PM »

The dealer will most likely have to cut the neck off the frame and send it back to HD before they will produce another with the matching VIN. That is why it will take so long for the repairs :'(

Ok here is an interesting question regarding the frame of the bike. I purchased a frame when I purchased the bike......it needs replacing granted. The fact remains that I am purchasing a new frame. SO in effect I have purchsed two frames and will only end up with one?? Something is not right about that. Sure it needs replacing but whos to say that the frame is not still useful, I could weld it and powder coat it and have the basis for another bike. Am I not the owner of the original frame and if not should I not get a tremendous discount on my new frame since in  essence a frame is being traded in for a new one?
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »

Ok here is an interesting question regarding the frame of the bike. I purchased a frame when I purchased the bike......it needs replacing granted. The fact remains that I am purchasing a new frame. SO in effect I have purchsed two frames and will only end up with one?? Something is not right about that. Sure it needs replacing but whos to say that the frame is not still useful, I could weld it and powder coat it and have the basis for another bike. Am I not the owner of the original frame and if not should I not get a tremendous discount on my new frame since in  essence a frame is being traded in for a new one?

If you are buying the new frame you now have two. If the city is replacing the damaged frame , they now own a damaged frame and you own a new one. Guess if you could talk them out of the damaged one you would have two.
Now comes the question of the serial number on the original frame and the title that goes with it. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »

True enough the city would own the damged frame. But taking the city out of the picture just for conversations sake. I have a bad frame and I order a new one from H-D. They have to cut the neck off the old one to replicate the serials. OK that I understand. But in this scenerio I have now purchased two frames and ended up with one end product no? What I am getting at is the Mocco gets paid for a new frame and also needs my old one to "remanufacture" it. So on their end they have been paid twice for the same frame......literally once they weld the neck from my old frame onto a new one....It seems they would have to do that in order to keep the serial number, they cannot just make a new frame with the old serial number, that would be fraud.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 06:36:15 PM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 06:49:27 PM »

If you bought a new frame on your own, yes, have two or more, if you are having your frame replaced with the same vin, only one.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 08:37:52 PM »

Free lunch........hah. I will probably be without a bike for 4 months...hardly free. actually this one is financed so I will pay for bike payments and insurance on a bike that I can't ride for 4 to 6 months......aint nuttin free about that!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2005, 12:59:52 AM »

SE;
If having a second frame is really important to you you could have them just get a frame off the rack, the disadvantage would be that you numbers would not match and I would think that it would devalue the bike some. HD will not weld you neck back on they will stamp a new frame with your numbers. HD cannot legally produce a frame with a duplicate vin #'s

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 01:40:04 AM »

SE;
If having a second frame is really important to you you could have them just get a frame off the rack, the disadvantage would be that you numbers would not match and I would think that it would devalue the bike some. HD will not weld you neck back on they will stamp a new frame with your numbers. HD cannot legally produce a frame with a duplicate vin #'s

No having a second frame is not that important to me at all. I could care less. I guess I am saying the price of the new frame is 2,200 dollars. It seems like I should get a discount or something with a trade in of a frame with a tiny weld here and a dot of paint there would make it brand new again. It seems a shame that they will cut the neck off it and stick it in the dumpster.Truth be told the frame is being replaced because I demmand my bike be NEW again since it was NEW before the damage happened. Its a prefectly good frame just not on my particular bike....... I am that guy who spends hours shining every centimeter of his chrome whenever the bike is not moving.

What I am understanding is that this older frame is worthless... for this bike maybe, but it has SOME worth as the basis for a softail motorcycle with little repair work needed. They could bead blast it weld the spot weld the serial number, restamp it and powder coat the thing and slap it on the production line and noone would ever know...not ever. I just wonder where this frame will actually end up.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 05:12:03 PM »

Here is what I hit, notice the location and how it is directly in fron of the service department entrance.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 05:14:28 PM »

It flipped upside down and got stuck under my bike.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.