Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: New CVO Streetglide: Auxiliary lights or not?  (Read 23758 times)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: New CVO Streetglide: Auxiliary lights or not?
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »

Ken - yes on the Custom Dynamics LED lights replacing the turn signal innards, you pull the bulb and install them in lieu. Their website has information about the load equalizer. They indicate my bike probably doesn't need one, but my understanding from talking to people is anything older than 2014/15 you should plan on buying one because they'll flash to quickly otherwise and equalization will be required.

LOL - unfortunately, auxiliary lighting or nothing else can save one from stupidity exhibited by others on the road, like cars cutting you off or turning in your travel path. I've had several close calls as well, but thankfully, none too recent - a real scare can be life changing... Bad things can happen even if another driver sees you and is aware you are there. There's no treatment for a lack of common sense behind the wheel. I do think auxiliary lighting helps one to be more visible though.

Thanks, Kiro. I am looking on the CD site now at the plug and play Dynamic Ringz inserts. Looks like they have a plug and play load equalizer made especially for our CVOs - their SS8 Signal Stabilizer. Plugs right into the rear harness where the big connector is on the rear fender under the seat on my bike. The Ringz and SS8 are $153.85 shipped... not a bad price for better turn signal visibility.

I would like to find a better lighting solution for the rear of my bike when the Tour Pak is not on. Those "Cadillac" LED lights in the CVO rear fascia are the only lights back there, and they just aren't very bright... but I sure don't want to bolt on some big ass light on the fender!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

NOPE! As much as I'd like a Rushmore bike, I have WAAY too much money in Honey Badger, and I have her set up just the way I want her. I'd be in for another $6-7K to outfit a new one with a Tour Pak, forks, cams, pipes, tune, AUX LIGHTS, seats, etc etc etc...

Plus, Honey Badger is... well... Honey Badger!!!

Not gonna happen!

Ken

My sentiments exactly, and I almost pulled the trigger on a 15... :2vrolijk_21:

Hey you old guys need all the extra light you can get.  :bananarock:

Be careful who you call old. I made that assumtion my first year to MV and tried to get behind an "old Guy" and his BSR on a ride at MV'10and got smoked... A valuable lesson in the CVO Group...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:25:38 PM by dooinit2u »

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »

Kuryakyn has a set of aux lights as well. Small bullet ones which form part of the signal lights.
Kuryakyn Driving Lights

Item #: 102721
not as obtrusive to the "clean " look of the SG. imho

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »

My sentiments exactly, and I almost pulled the trigger on a 15... :2vrolijk_21:

Hey you old guys need all the extra light you can get.  :bananarock:

Be careful who you call old. I made that assumtion my first year to MV and tried to get behind an "old Guy" and his BSR on a ride at MV'10and got smoked... A valuable lesson in the CVO Group...

LOL!  There's an "old guy" on this site (name withheld by demand request) who used to have a '10 Tequila SESG, but who now happily rides a tricked-out Tri Glide Ultra that may or may not have been previously owned by me and my wife.

This gentleman rides like a grandpa on two wheels… but rides like a freakin' MANIAC on three. I have tried and failed to keep up with him in the twisties on that damned trike! I suspect that few here could keep up with him on that thing, either…

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

stevehd

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »

Thanks, Kiro. I am looking on the CD site now at the plug and play Dynamic Ringz inserts. Looks like they have a plug and play load equalizer made especially for our CVOs - their SS8 Signal Stabilizer. Plugs right into the rear harness where the big connector is on the rear fender under the seat on my bike. The Ringz and SS8 are $153.85 shipped... not a bad price for better turn signal visibility.

Between the Trucklite head light and passing light and the Dynamic Ringz I have noticed cars and trucks not pulling out in front of me as much.  I had an issue with the first SS8 I received but they replaced it and sent a postage paid return label along with the replacement.  I first saw the Dynamic Ringz on a pair of Ultras (might have been CVO Ultras) that caught up with me in traffic, the lights on the Dynamic Ringz were the first thing I noticed.
2012 Ruby Red and Typhoon Maroon FLHXSE-3
2014 Black Fxsb
2006 Big Dog Mastiff
1992 Yamaha FL-1200

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 05:43:31 PM »

Between the Trucklite head light and passing light and the Dynamic Ringz I have noticed cars and trucks not pulling out in front of me as much.  I had an issue with the first SS8 I received but they replaced it and sent a postage paid return label along with the replacement.  I first saw the Dynamic Ringz on a pair of Ultras (might have been CVO Ultras) that caught up with me in traffic, the lights on the Dynamic Ringz were the first thing I noticed.

Good to hear! I also have the Truck Lite P7 headlight and aux lights... and I have the Dynamic Ringz on order. I also ordered CD's brake light modulator for my bike and for my wife's little Ninja 650. Maybe those will help get the attention of distracted cagers behind us when we hit the brakes...

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »

I had the CD Ringz on my 11 CVO SG with the load equalizer, a very nice additiion to the LED headlight. My buddy has them as well on his RG, he likes to ride in the back. One quick glance in the mirror and I pick him up immediatley, its the LED Headlight and CD Ringz turn signals, they really stand out.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »

Darn, I'm late! 
I agonized about the same thing. I added the led headlight and lost my visibility in nighttime turns. That would mean that I needed to add the passing lamps so I could see at night. Just couldn't bring myself to hang them on the front though. IMHO it would ruin the styling of my bike since I'm not going for a retro look. My solution was to add the ringZ to the signals. That works for visibility and didn't mess with the styling. Those things are bright day or night! I don't ride much at night. With that said, I was out after dark while staying up in the mountains last month and the curves sucked. Couldn't see a thing in the curves with the leds. Until I can find some Velcro passing lamps that I can take off during the day and stick on at night, I'm actually thinking about putting the stock headlight back in. Unless I absolutely have to for safety, no passing lamps for me!
Besides, my buddy has them and they stay fogged up all the time anyway.

Now, about the oil you're using...... ;D
They are so bright that, at night and before the headlight change, I was getting bright lighted by oncoming cars! I'd say they are more intense than the passing lamps. It's a shame they don't add a thing to nighttime cornering vision.
RETIRED! :fireman:

hdnitro

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »

My bike came with the auxiliary  lights already fitted.He also upgraded the headlight with the LED headlight.He said he drove around with them on permanently so he was more visible.I see no reason to not take his advice and I now do the same.I personally like them on my bike as well.
There are only 3 sports in this world.Bullfighting,mountain climbing,and motorsport.The rest are merely games. Ernest Hemingway.
Racing is life.Everything before and after is just waiting time.
Steve McQueen.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »

:huepfenlol2:
Thanks for the replies. I was torn between the "purist" look of the bike vs the "traditional tourer" look with all three lights.  :nixweiss:
I was leaning toward Ken's view of the auxiliary lights being the way to go and then I read Mano's comment.

And it suddenly struck me. I have the same memories. All the big Harleys I coveted as a kid had those three lights across the bow. So that's what I'll do.  :2vrolijk_21:

I think it would look just as cool without, but I'll run with the auxiliary lights this time around. Thanks guys.

:2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

When I saw Ken's, I knew I had to have them. It got added to Scarlett before she left the store. I gained the LED lights later and they make a World of difference. I ride at night quite a bit, lol.
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »

I've got the passing lamps & don't ride without them being on, I figure the more lights the better.
I also have the Dynamic Ringz & I really like them, they're really bright & easily seen.

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »

Here's a photo of where I installed my load equalizer for the Dynamic Ringz, notice the blue under the brace between the rear fender & the battery box.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

Here's a photo of where I installed my load equalizer for the Dynamic Ringz, notice the blue under the brace between the rear fender & the battery box.

What does that load equalizer plug into?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 20 queries.