Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowering Cvo road glide ultra  (Read 1495 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Lowering Cvo road glide ultra
« on: August 19, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »

It.s a 2011 model, I have had it from new. I love and hate it, but want to keep it for ever. I am fast approaching 72, not tall 5ft 8ins. It is beginning to scare me in tight areas, stopping and manouvering. Can I lower it at both ends by say 1.5 ins. If so what’d on I need to get.
Help would be appreciated.
JohnT

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Lowering Cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »

You can lower it an inch front and back. I would not go any lower as the ride quality will be greatly compromised.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »

If you're still running that stock Hammock seat, go demo the Tall boy or any other seat that lowers you. I'm waiting to find a good deal on a used one now.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the air suspension systems but I'm even less of a fan of less suspension travel.  That being so a consideration might be an air suspension so you can maintain better travel while riding but lower it for things like moving it around a parking lot.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »

This has been discussed may times in various threads over the years and some members took their seat to an upholstery shop and had the stock seat narrowed, others had taller soles installed on their boots to help with reaching the ground.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »

This has been discussed may times in various threads over the years and some members took their seat to an upholstery shop and had the stock seat narrowed, others had taller soles installed on their boots to help with reaching the ground.

Thanks for that, I already had the seat doctored a little. I will search out other threads.
JohnT

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »

If you're still running that stock Hammock seat, go demo the Tall boy or any other seat that lowers you. I'm waiting to find a good deal on a used one now.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.
Pretty sure a Tall Boy seat raises you. I have a buddy who uses one and he bought it because he's 6'5 and stock seat on a Glide make him to low.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 10:48:03 PM »

Pretty sure a Tall Boy seat raises you. I have a buddy who uses one and he bought it because he's 6'5 and stock seat on a Glide make him to low.
Actually down and back. I demoed one and it feels a whole lot better for my back and hip than the stock hammock that came on my bike.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »

They must be different now than on earlier (pre 14). Tall boy my friend has on 04 E/G is taller than the regular E/G seat enough that I have to tippy toe to reach ground, no problem flat foot on a normal E/G seat. It does move you back, but definitely not down on this older model. Maybe post '14 is different.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 06:40:28 PM »

They must be different now than on earlier (pre 14). Tall boy my friend has on 04 E/G is taller than the regular E/G seat enough that I have to tippy toe to reach ground, no problem flat foot on a normal E/G seat. It does move you back, but definitely not down on this older model. Maybe post '14 is different.
Don is correct... I have a Tallboy seat (never used) P/N 52975-05
Description
Stretch your legs in style. The Tallboy one-piece seat moves the rider back 1/2" and up 1-1/4" compared to the Original Equipment Seat.
Allows additional leg and arm movement for the long-limbed rider, and a comfortable seating space for the open road

The bucket design of the Tallboy seat provides the additional rider back support

Wide raised pillion places the passenger for maximum comfort  and commanding view

Can also be used with Rider Backrest Kits

Seat width 17.5"

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:24 PM »

I believe they are.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/tallboy-seat/p/52000252

DESCRIPTION
The seat is sculpted to provide superior support and comfort, with a slight bucket shape to provide room to vary your riding position fore and aft. The seat’s level seating surface does not pitch the rider forward, and the overall ride height is similar to stock Electra Glide® and Road Glide® Ultra seating.
• Moves the rider back 1.5” to provide much-needed arm and leg room for the long-limbed rider
• Passenger comfort will be maximized with the Tour-Pak® Luggage mounted in the rearmost position
• Tallboy® seats can be equipped with an optional rider backrest (except Adjustable style) for additional touring comfort
Measurements based on Original Equipment Electra Glide® seat
• Seat width 16.5"
• Passenger pillion width 15.0"
• Stop by a participating dealer and test out this seat today as part of our Seat Demo Program –contact your local dealer for details

When I went to my dealer to take the demo for a ride, the parts guy read the description right off of His site that they use. Now with that being said, Maybe the sitting back more also felt like it was also lower but He told me that it is lower and that's from reading it off of His computer. Now maybe what He was reading was comparing to the Hammock is how He came up with those numbers.   I know I like that position a whole lot better than my heated Hammock. Doesn't hurt or cost anything to take one for a spin. I'm keeping an eye out for a gently used one that isn't the cost of a new one now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:00:18 PM by OBB »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »

Look at Dirty Air.com. I have the old Legend shocks and jerked out the tiny compressor and added a bigger one along with tiny air tank. Now it jumps up and down with just a quick poke at the switch. Problem solved as the stock little compressor that came with the shocks took forever to pump back up making a harsh ride for the Mrs.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.