Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Oil pump failed and took out valve train. Need assistance and suggestions please  (Read 7972 times)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG

Want a stock replacement that is similar in performance but easier on valve train, use the tts100. Personally I chose an Andrews 54h. Little different, not sexy but it works, is quiet, and easy on parts. I did no porting or changes to the heads other than springs (conical) seals and changed the lifters to hylift b-2313se
Any cam change then forces a retune.

Thank you! Exactly the information I was seeking. My wife is happy (for now) with the performance of her stock engine, so I am just looking at trying to maintain it close to that performance level while addressing some of the well known issues.

I have the same set of lifters waiting to go into my bike. I have 17K on mine and am very gun shy at this point. Going 117 on mine and heads should be in the mail back to me either today or tomorrow. I am ready to get that together but planned trip will delay me for about month.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield

So now the ESP wants to consider the price of a new motor instead of rebuild or long block.   Local Harley is saying that the part number for the 110 engine is valid, but the product is no longer available.  WTF?   Can't buy a complete engine from the MOCO?  Surprising.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.

can you take a pay out for the price of the now no longer available motor and then just buy and S&S?

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield

I think they will do a payout and I will be able to do whatever I choose.  If the full motor isn't available, I don't think they can base they payout on something that can't be purchased, but that is yet to be determined.

While I know the S&S would be a great engine, I think it would hurt the value of the CVO if I were to go that route.

Most likely the long block route will make the most sense.  This would eliminate any possible metal contamination in the engine with little downside, except for my plans to upgrade it to a 117 at this time.   I would still do S&S lifters and upgraded SE cam plate/oil pump.   Maybe rocker locker/stoppers as well.   Still need to make a cam choice that will work with both the 110 and future 117 plans.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

The long block is still available as best I can tell, so that would be what the ESP should do.  Yes, they would have to pay the dealership to transfer heads, throttle body, and various other covers and bits, but it would still be much better than having the average dealership build an engine from scratch.  You could always have the heads freshened up by a good shop during the process.

I've never seen anyone who swapped out the Harley engine for an S&S come back later and tell us if it actually affected resale value.  I'd be interested in hearing such information if anyone has any to share.  Considering the fact that CVO's no longer hold value any better than any other model, I think I'd go with the best alternative for myself and not worry about what it may or may not do to resale value.  People who follow the trials and tribulations of Harley engines may actually pay more for a bike with the S&S.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Find a builder with an impeccable reputation, and build you a Motor.  Harley 110's are junk.  Some of them more so than others.  They'll run up to 95, or 100 MPH pretty quick, and then take 10 more minutes to get to 110-115 MPH, WFO.  No compression.  Compression is HP.  No compression, no HP.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

For those following the story...

Looks like the Long Block will be approved in the next day or two.  When this happens, I will credit the ESP company for doing the right thing.

So, I don't believe I'll do the 117 kit at this time.  The long block does come with virtually everything internal, including the heads, rockers, pushrods, lifters.   From what I'm told, it does not come with the cam plate, cam or oil pump. 

Should like the SE cam plate and pump will be my choice.  S&S Premium non-limited lifers and pushrods will by on my nickel as they already include the SE parts for that.  Cam will be a credit that I can use for any cam, so that is still the big question.  Best cam for basically (except stage 1) stock motor, riden two up most of the time, BUT could work really well with the 117 kit at a later date.  I wonder if there is a cam that would cover both scenarios.   Originally I was planning on the Tman 620PS, but now without the 117 kit, I'm not sure that works.  SE585 or something similar may best.  I understand the SE cam that comes with the 117 kit needs more compression to really work well, so that probably isn't the cam I'm looking for.

Well if all goes well, I may have my bike back in 3 weeks!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Cyclerama 570 or tts100.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member

ZigZag,  who's doing the work for you?  Six Bends or Bert's?

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

Neither.  Being done at a local Indy here in my area.  They have been great to work with so far and very professional.  Will post my comments regarding this shop when job is completed.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member

Thanks.  I was just curious as I am local to you as well.  North Ft Myers.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

I'd like to report that the ESP from Cornerstone has approved the HD long block.  So in about 2 weeks I hope to have a new motor installed.

Decided this would be a nice to do the chrome inner primary (since the old one is off now anyway).

Harley has not made it clear as to exactly what is in the long block in a few areas.  The literature says the 110 long block has a cam plate, but does not mention which style.  Also it does not mention if an oil pump is included.

I will toss the SE lifters in favor the S&S premiums.  Also about 99% sold on the Tman 625PS cam.  Other than that I'll need adjustable pushrods (probably SE).   Up in the rocker box, I'm thinking about doing rocker lockers (not sure which yet as there are a few different companies that seem to make a very similar product).

At this time, I'll put off the 117 kit.  I don't want to discard brand new jugs and pistons.

I'm also thinking of switching out my RC4.5 slip ons (even though I love the sound) in favor of 2.25" CVO recores from FullSac.  Not sure about the "screens" that go in to hold the wrap or how much wrap I'll put in there yet.

So I will update this post again to share my experience about the insurance company, when all is done and (hopefully) paid for.  So far, they have been excellent to deal with, but the process has been time consuming.

Zig

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

How much compression you going to set the engine up for to effectively run the 625 cams?

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

This will be a stock motor initially, so compression will be 9.5?  The cam selection was recommended by Tman, so I sort of just accepted his choice based on 2-up riding (90% of the time).   Tman was contacted, based my tuner's recommendation.

I had also considered the SE585, Woods TW7H and even a Zipper's 587.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

This will be a stock motor initially, so compression will be 9.5?  The cam selection was recommended by Tman, so I sort of just accepted his choice based on 2-up riding (90% of the time).   Tman was contacted, based my tuner's recommendation.

I had also considered the SE585, Woods TW7H and even a Zipper's 587.

I really like the 625.  It's a cam I've ridden a few times and enjoyed.  Always told (even by Tman) that it needed something in the 10.25 range or a bit more to work well.  TMan's website (just looked) suggests a range of 10.2 to 10.6.

https://tmanperformance.com/product/t-man-625-ps/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.