Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Open letter to Harley Davidson  (Read 16050 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Open letter to Harley Davidson
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 01:41:53 AM »

I have never had any attitude form the HD service Department I use since 2007.  They are very helpful and treat me great.  I have never had push back about warranty issues, in fact, they have pushed for HD to make it right for me.
That's why i said many. Certainly not all, might not even be most.

Glad you have a good one. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm pulling for Harley. Still like them very much.

They do need to up there game, cannot count on loyalty as the primary reason to choose Harley over other brands. I think they know this, it's why they are going to build non traditional bikes in the near future. As i said; pulling for them.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »

Nothing Mechanical is problem free. However when I researched how Polaris Industries treated their customers when they had some issues with their 116 big bore kit and how they resolved those issues. Compared to going into several HD dealerships and being lied to about how they have never even heard of the sumping issues on any 117 CVO bikes. I have decided to give Indian a try. The rumor on the street is the 2019 Chieftain Elite will be revealed on 2/26/2019. If I don't like that color I will get a Ruby Red. I have enjoyed the folks and the interaction on this forum over the last several years though.

J.D.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »

Interesting comment about the service department.  I've seen a change over the past 15+ years.  At one time the service managers were mainly the older senior techs that moved from the shop to the desk.  They really knew how to diagnose and quote repair work.  These days the service managers are more like salesmen than techs.

For me, if I was looking for a "traditional" style bike it would be Indian.  If I was looking for a "modern" bike it would be BMW.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 08:09:04 PM »

That's why i said many. Certainly not all, might not even be most.

Glad you have a good one. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm pulling for Harley. Still like them very much.

They do need to up there game, cannot count on loyalty as the primary reason to choose Harley over other brands. I think they know this, it's why they are going to build non traditional bikes in the near future. As i said; pulling for them.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Not arguing at all about Harley Issues.  Most all my issues are with Harley its self.  Poor quality control.  Poor support for their product.  Letting an issue stay for the entire production run.  Example the 110 engine and lifter failure, they never fixed it and never really tired.  For them, the few people that put enough mile on in 2 years to have warranty fix it was less expensive than a real fix.  To bad to the guy, who doesn't hit 40K mile until 3 or four or more years. 

Head units.  The 14 Rushmore head unit still has software bugs, cant even count how many updates to fix bugs, still has bugs.  19 Head unit on 3rd update for issues. 

On of the reasons I am still on a HD for my primary bike, is my local dealer and service department.  I am treated very well.

Service Director at the dealer I use is over all this owners Dealers.  He is or was their very best mechanic.  He gets involved when his mechanics can not figure it out.  When his mechanics say it can't be done, he shows them it can, if it can be done.  He is an avid rider, and like high performance Harleys.
Interesting comment about the service department.  I've seen a change over the past 15+ years.  At one time the service managers were mainly the older senior techs that moved from the shop to the desk.  They really knew how to diagnose and quote repair work.  These days the service managers are more like salesmen than techs.

For me, if I was looking for a "traditional" style bike it would be Indian.  If I was looking for a "modern" bike it would be BMW.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Glenncarp

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »

First Harley was a 2004 Road King. Put 68,000 miles on it with no issues.

In 2011 I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a Road Glide CVO for which I paid $36,000 for a pleasure vehicle. One would think spending this ungodly amount of money you would have zero issues. Of course, not the case. I then stupidly purchased a 2016 Road Glide CVO for $40,000. Knowing the issues I had with the 2011. I spent an incredible amount of additional money for the extended warranty.

I found out that the Road Glide CVO did not come with the Boom Audio II package so I stupidly paid a Harley-Davidson dealer $2000 extra dollars for parts and labor to upgrade the system to the Boom Audio II. Three of the four speakers are blown less than a year and ½ after Harley parts and Harley-Davidson install. I just wasted 44 minutes on the phone with Harley-Davidson customer service for them to tell me that of course, their parts are not covered because I didn’t install them within 60 days of purchasing the bike.

This is why your sales were down 27% last year, this is why you can't attract a younger crowd. This is why your parts are garbage. This is why I will go buy aftermarket speakers, which by the way have to be 2 OHM because you set your audio systems up so badly to prevent people from buying other parts and you tune your equalizers to stupid levels which are not changeable on the bike. It’s also unheard of that you can’t pair a Bluetooth headset with your system, you have to buy cheaply made but expensive Harley-Davidson headsets and actually plug them in to the bike unless you want to spend an additional $500 for a module. Every car/truck I have bought in the last 10 years has seamlessly paired with my garage door opener. I can go to the local hardware store and buy a $0.50 garage door opener button that pairs to my garage door opener. However, you can’t make the garage door transmitter on your bikes read a simple code for the garage door, you have to sell a plug-in receiver which fails continually.

My next bike will certainly not be a Harley-Davidson, I spent over $90,000 on your bikes and get nothing but frustration when your lousy parts and designs fail.

Seriously, what a shame for an American company

And after all that, the letter came back to me for wrong address. Lol. I give up, not wasting time researching mailing address for CEO if he does not use the same one listed on every google search I did. He must not want that info out to the public.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »

Try this:
Harley Davidson Inc 
Mr Matthew S. Levatich CEO     
Telephone (414) 342-4680 (Direct)
Switchboard 414-343-8553
Website https://www.harley-davidson.com   
Postal Address 3700 W Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI, 53208

:bananarock: :mango: :orange:

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »

And after all that, the letter came back to me for wrong address. Lol. I give up, not wasting time researching mailing address for CEO if he does not use the same one listed on every google search I did. He must not want that info out to the public.

A good indication of how a person and a company really feel about their customers is in how easy or difficult they make it for those customers to contact them.  Last time I checked Harley still doesn't list a customer service email address, unlike most other companies these days, and they don't encourage/invite people to contact them if they have a problem.  That's a good sign of a company that really doesn't want to know how their customers really feel about the product or the company.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »

HD already has our money, so why would they ever want to speak to any of us?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »

HD already has our money, so why would they ever want to speak to any of us?
this combined with the "You look cool on one" philosophy is what is killing HD IMO.

Lack of response to serious design issues/flaws combined with OUTDATED philosophy that has been the backbone of advertising has resulted in significant sales decline both abroad and domestic.

Sell a bike on it's merits (mechanical achievements), not because you say IT MAKES YOU FREE AND COOL.
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

Glenncarp

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »

First Harley was a 2004 Road King. Put 68,000 miles on it with no issues.

In 2011 I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a Road Glide CVO for which I paid $36,000 for a pleasure vehicle. One would think spending this ungodly amount of money you would have zero issues. Of course, not the case. I then stupidly purchased a 2016 Road Glide CVO for $40,000. Knowing the issues I had with the 2011. I spent an incredible amount of additional money for the extended warranty.

I found out that the Road Glide CVO did not come with the Boom Audio II package so I stupidly paid a Harley-Davidson dealer $2000 extra dollars for parts and labor to upgrade the system to the Boom Audio II. Three of the four speakers are blown less than a year and ½ after Harley parts and Harley-Davidson install. I just wasted 44 minutes on the phone with Harley-Davidson customer service for them to tell me that of course, their parts are not covered because I didn’t install them within 60 days of purchasing the bike.

This is why your sales were down 27% last year, this is why you can't attract a younger crowd. This is why your parts are garbage. This is why I will go buy aftermarket speakers, which by the way have to be 2 OHM because you set your audio systems up so badly to prevent people from buying other parts and you tune your equalizers to stupid levels which are not changeable on the bike. It’s also unheard of that you can’t pair a Bluetooth headset with your system, you have to buy cheaply made but expensive Harley-Davidson headsets and actually plug them in to the bike unless you want to spend an additional $500 for a module. Every car/truck I have bought in the last 10 years has seamlessly paired with my garage door opener. I can go to the local hardware store and buy a $0.50 garage door opener button that pairs to my garage door opener. However, you can’t make the garage door transmitter on your bikes read a simple code for the garage door, you have to sell a plug-in receiver which fails continually.

My next bike will certainly not be a Harley-Davidson, I spent over $90,000 on your bikes and get nothing but frustration when your lousy parts and designs fail.

Seriously, what a shame for an American company

UPDATE: Received call from MOCO today alerting me that the Boom! audio II speakers have a 2 year warrantee and I should take bike back to dealer to get them replaced. I didn't have the hear t to stop him and tell him that A: Traded bike in and B: Issue was found to be original amp which was covered. Wish first rep I spoke to knew that Boon II had 2 year warantee, but this just may prove that HD does pay attention to us occasionally when we complain.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »

good to hear they got back to you, and with a positive response. congrats on the new ride... its a good looking ride  :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:43 AM »

The product we love to Hate. 50 years ago (really) I used to love working on my bike, it was part of the experience.  I expected the (used) bikes that I could afford would need some work. 

Now with prices, research, engineering, and competition we should expect more out of $40k machines.  But Harley sells IMAGE first, the modern marketing thrust is all based on what you think and feel. It is why you buy another HD (after several bad experiences) and not a Honda.  Where would HD be if Marlon Brando rode a Suzuki?

Is it worth it?  Economically no, but that Badass image keeps us coming back.  The Willie G logo is a skull, not a smiley face.  This image has been one of the most successful marketing schemes in history.  However, sooner or later every Wizard, behind every curtain is exposed.  I believe that Harley-Davidson has reached that point, we have finally realized that you can have just as much fun riding a brand other than HD without the expense.  And they know it too, the recent trend from the MoCo is smaller, lighter, and more reasonably priced models.  In three years their stock has dropped from the low 60’s to the mid 30’s, Wall Street doesn’t miss much, they know what is going on.

I regret that Harley hasn’t made an effort to improve quality, service and Attitude.  I’ve heard it said that there is 20% profit at the dealership and at least that much to manufacturing.  Even at half that, there is enough to protect their market share by producing a truly quality product, sadly, they never did.

Harley-Davidson will not go away, but they will fade to a fraction of what they were.  Us Baby Boomers that always wanted a new HOG are shrinking, time is catching us.  Moreover, the next generation of riders hasn’t tasted the Badass Kool Aide, in fact they still like riding, probably more for the joy of it than the Image.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

ultrarider123

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 07:02:46 AM »

Where would HD be if Marlon Brando rode a Suzuki?

First off, I completely agree with your comments and the MoCo shouldn't be resting on their rumps hoping/praying that folks will continue to purchase the lifestyle.  Funny thing is they have always pushed rebel, individualism to be a Harley rider by selling all of their customers the same black outfits so they can all look alike... :nixweiss:

However, one small correction.  Johnny rode a Triumph (Thunderbird I believe?) but it was Chino (Lee Marvin's character) that rode the Harley.  By the way, Chino was the meaner one....on the Harley.

Sorry for the correction but I figure I'd jump in before someone else did... ;D

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 07:30:20 AM »

No problem Haird, the veiled reference was to suggest a "what if" someone other than HD stole the Image first.  But I have to admit, you youngsters have a better memory than I do.   :)

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »

HD can't buy publicity like this, and Roger Corman isn't making biker movies anymore.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 25 queries.