Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speedometer effected by Rivera 32t gear  (Read 1492 times)

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
Speedometer effected by Rivera 32t gear
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

On another board someone suggested that changing the primary drive gear from the stock 34t to a 32t would not effect the speedometer reading but Dakota Digital sells a device for this type change to re-calibrate it. I am looking for a response from someone that has changes the primary gear ratio, whether or not you are happy with the results from  and whether or not the speedometer needs recalibration.

My bike is a 2015 CVO RG with the 117 upgrade and 585 HD cam. Cam doesn't start making power until 2,700 rpm. Dyno numbers are 107hp and 127tq

Thank you

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Speedometer effected by Rivera 32t gear
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

I have the game changer installed on both my bikes and like it very much.  Both had to have the speedometer recalibrated in TTS to read correctly.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »

Changing the primary gear ratio does not affect the speedometer reading.  Changing the final drive ratio (trans output sprocket or rear wheel sprocket) does.  That is due to the way the system senses speed, counting revolutions of one of the gears in the transmission.  However, if speedometer accuracy is important to you, you might want to check the accuracy of the speedo even without making a gearing change and have it calibrated, since speedometer accuracy has never been a top priority at H-D.  The latest models do seem to be better however.

Jerry

Btw, if you want to check the accuracy of the speedometer and don't want to put it on a dyno, use a GPS but not the one built in to the infotainment system.  That one just uses the same speed reading as your speedometer, not the actual speed calculated by the GPS system.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:50:19 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »

On another board someone suggested that changing the primary drive gear from the stock 34t to a 32t would not effect the speedometer reading but Dakota Digital sells a device for this type change to re-calibrate it. I am looking for a response from someone that has changes the primary gear ratio, whether or not you are happy with the results from  and whether or not the speedometer needs recalibration.

My bike is a 2015 CVO RG with the 117 upgrade and 585 HD cam. Cam doesn't start making power until 2,700 rpm. Dyno numbers are 107hp and 127tq

Thank you

For 117 upgrade these dyno numbers are low!!
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »

I had the  gear installed and now the cruise control along with the gear select indicator light do not work. The bike is a 2015 CVO RG. Has anyone had this issue after changes primary gear ratio?

An electric digital speedometer calibration device Primo Rivera sells did not solve the problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »

I had the  gear installed and now the cruise control along with the gear select indicator light do not work. The bike is a 2015 CVO RG. Has anyone had this issue after changes primary gear ratio?

An electric digital speedometer calibration device Primo Rivera sells did not solve the problem.

The cruise control and gear indicator light both use the rpm and speed sensor data to do their things.  When you change the primary ratio, that rpm/speed ratio is changed from what the ECM expects so the light and the cruise don't respond.  If you have a TTS or PowerVision tuning system, I believe you can change the settings in the ECM to allow the cruise and gear indicators to work again.  There are threads around here about the same kind of issues when people changed the transmissions to a Baker 7 speed.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »

Fixed my 2011 using TTS

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.