Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BO Battery cables  (Read 916 times)

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
BO Battery cables
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

Anyone replace the stock battery cables on the BO yet? Have not done this on a softy and wondering if anyone had done it on one of these. Always been my experience that battery cables is one place companies skimps to save a cent or two. Figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade and give the juice from the batt a smidge less resistance.

Not sure if this is BO specific, but since that is what I ride I figured I would post it here

Glenncarp

Re: BO Battery cables
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »

Anyone replace the stock battery cables on the BO yet? Have not done this on a softy and wondering if anyone had done it on one of these. Always been my experience that battery cables is one place companies skimps to save a cent or two. Figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade and give the juice from the batt a smidge less resistance.

Not sure if this is BO specific, but since that is what I ride I figured I would post it here

What is BO?? Lost me there

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

I assume Breakout?

It's not been my experience that stock battery cables are not capable of handling the full current flow of the bikes (or cars) they are installed on.  What makes you think your particular bike needs heavier gauge cables?

Stock parts are made to meet the requirements of the stock vehicle.  If you don't change the vehicle in such a way as to significantly increase maximum current flow, higher gauge aftermarket parts aren't going to make a difference.  If you decide to install a monster high compression engine that requires a much higher capacity starter, then I'd suggest upgrading the cables.  I know they love to advertise those high priced aftermarket cables, just like Monster likes to push their high priced aftermarket cables most people don't need, but just because they make claims doesn't mean those claims are true.  I'd love to have the money people have thrown away buying overpriced speaker cables, HDMI cables, battery cables, etc. over the years.

Oh, btw, some of those high priced cables do have better materials and production methods for the terminals.  That can make some cables worth a bit more than the stock cables in terms of reliability.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »

Yes BO is breakout, as this post was created in the breakout section but moved. Sorry for the confusion blame the admin 😝 (Im kidding)

Not trying to start an arguement, but battery cables, be it cars or bikes always leave somthing to be desired. Just looking for a little less resistance and better built cable (I know, fools and their money)
Even just replacing my stock HD battery with a Deka would likely be going past the HD "spec". Though I will likley do just that when the stock batt goes south

Oh, sometimes those higher priced HDMI cables are worth it. Granted everyone always says online "it is a digital signal, it works or it does not" is true mostly but shielding is a factor with cables. A while back I had the picture on my tv look like the code from the Matrix movie before finding a cable that was shielded enough to work when ran close to my av gear. Ugh that situation was frustrating.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »

I have to disagree, I see nothing better about a Deka cable over a HD. I removed a almost new Deka from my Buell a few years ago because the end was loose on the starter end. The guy I bought the bike from was like you, anything was better than a HD. I just choose to disagree, same on HDMI cables, unless you have a chinese poc they are pretty much all the same.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »

I have to disagree, I see nothing better about a Deka cable over a HD. I removed a almost new Deka from my Buell a few years ago because the end was loose on the starter end. The guy I bought the bike from was like you, anything was better than a HD. I just choose to disagree, same on HDMI cables, unless you have a chinese poc they are pretty much all the same.

Please actually read my post before commenting Also, in the future, please do not misquote me. I never said "anything was better than HD". (this ties into the little bit about "actually read  my post" ) Also, again, re read my post as I mentioned a specific instance that happened to me in regards to the HDMI cable in "my" situation.

and I said "replacing my stock HD battery with a Deka" meaning Deka battery. Not cable. Perhaps I could have worded that a bit better

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:31:16 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.