Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Finally picked it up yesterday  (Read 5909 times)

bc

• Full CVO Member
Finally picked it up yesterday
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:48:07 AM »

It was kind of a nasty day, but it was yesterday or 2 weeks from now, so ...

Rode my Deuce through the rain to the dealer (50 miles), finally hitting some sun with 10 miles to go.  The new bike checked out fine visually and in a parking lot run, and after forking over the $$, I hit the road home ... hitting the rain on the way back again.  It sure doesn't look like a showroom bike now, even with only 66 miles on it!  The first detail has to wait until this weekend, though. 

Terrific ride, and the front-end is better than the Deuce's, as expected.  Handling, over all, seems a little better too.  There is definitely less front-end dive in the Springer.  I really can't say anything about motor performance yet, as I like to baby a bike through break-in.  I don't think I cracked it over about 3100 and 50/55.  It's definitely a hot engine.  It was pretty hot coming off the rear cylinder, even though the air temp was only 60. 

As reported elsewhere, the headlight vibrates.  While that's good for being seen, I don't know how it will be for my own visibility at night. 

The stock seat stinks.  I was actually sore when I got home ... after only 50 miles!  This was disappointing, as I like the look, but didn't have high expectations for it, either.  Oh well, a reach seat would be a bit more comfortable anyway.

I had a few footpeg problems.  The right rear passenger footpeg contacts the pipe when flipped up.  I'll probably just take the passenger pegs off, as if I'm going to replace the stock seat, I'll put a solo saddle on anyway.  My right foot came flying off the right driver peg when the bolt loosened and the peg spun on me.  That had to wait until home to fix.  No loctite on the threads.  When I fixed it, I also took the opportunity to rotate the left peg forward a bit as the stock position was a little tight for upshifting. 

She's staying stock until the 1,000.  Then it's pipes, SERT, K&N element, and windshield. 

I'm still looking for a good SERT tuner in New England.  I called Meredith HD, who has a dyno.  The guy I talked to, however, said that he'd only need a half-hour, given what I was planning for upgrades.  On one hand that makes some sense, particularly if he has a map for the exact mods.  On the other hand, it also sounds like that's all I'd get, i.e., the bike wouldn't be individually tuned.  Opinions?

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Finally picked it up yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »

Congratulations.   :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »

Congrats on picking up the new scoot, enjoy the riding.

lance711

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »

Congrats and have fun.  What color is your new scoot?  I was going with the SERT and got talked into the Zippers ThunderMax with the Auto Tune module.  It runs like a dream.  I put in SE-257 cams and VH Big Radius pipes and NO stumbling, pops or backfires at all.  It runs cooler too (205 to 215 on oil temps)  The more I ride it the better it runs.  Just had it in for the 1000 mile check and plugs were perfect color and even the mechanic was impressed when he took it for a test ride.  Putting it on the Dyno next week for piece of mind on AFR numbers not so much HP/TQ.   Again have fun!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:42:48 AM by lance711 »
2007 SE Softail Springer - Abyss Blue / Blue Pearl
Extra Pieces -
TMax w/ AT
Vance & Hines Big Radius
SE-257 Cams
K&N High Flow Air Filter

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »

Congrats and have fun.  What color is your new scoot?  I was going with the SERT and got talked into the Zippers ThunderMax with the Auto Tune module.  It runs like a dream.  I put in SE-257 cams and VH Big Radius pipes and NO stumbling, pops or backfires at all.  It runs cooler too (205 to 215 on oil temps)  The more I ride it the better it runs.  Just had it in for the 1000 mile check and plugs were perfect color and even the mechanic was impressed when he took it for a test ride.  Putting it on the Dyno next week for piece of mind on AFR numbers not so much HP/TQ.   Again have fun!

Took some time to decide between red and blue, but went with the blue.  I've always had black bikes, and like the look lower key.

I may end up the Tmax or PC if I can't find a SERT tuner.  Something about Zipper's pricing bugs me, though.  I understand the value of auto tune and all that vs. the cost of dyno runs, but it still seems like they charge too much.  Gotta take care of the heat, though, and much as I like my dealer (honest, plus fair pricing), they take a hard line on warranty stuff, which could drive me to the PC, even though it would otherwise be a last choice.

I'm havin' a blast.  Never thought I'd enjoy a springer so much.  Shoulda got one years ago.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »

Hey BC,
Would love to see some pics even if it is not detailed.  Thanx for the ride report.  I am getting more and more excited about picking up mine.  Was thinking about a new seat also, just from reading opinions like yours.  Is the paint as visually stunning as most say, regarding pictures vs reality?

L8R
Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:08:50 AM »

Glad to hear you got your scoot and enjoying it  :2vrolijk_21:
Boy that s..ks that the local dealership didn't do a good pm on your scoot
There is no way that foot peg should have gotton loose within 50 miles  :nixweiss:

Find a really good tuner and go with his suggestion on the pipes and tuner....IMHO

jeffj

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »

BC,

Congrats on the bike,

I usually dont care for springers...but after seeing on at my dealer...WOW!!!
I sit on it everytime I go to the shop...wish I could afford it! It was red. Havnt seen the blue...so post up some pics.

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »

Congrats on the new bike

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »

Congratulations!!!!!! :coolblue:
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 02:38:51 PM »

Congratulations

But  :worthless: of your bike !  :2vrolijk_21:

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 02:25:49 AM »

Congrats on the new scoot!
As far as the tune goes it sounds like the dealer is just going to load a canned map. To get the bike to run at its peak it should individuallty Dyno tuned.

Good luck!

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:42:57 AM »

HD-dude,
I think a canned map will do wonders on a new bike for the heating issues due to the EPA BS  It probably wont garner him the best HP/TQ numbers but will be better until he can put all of the break in miles necessary to do the high rev dyno testing that is necessary to tune it to the best advantage of the bike.  Best to can it until the break in is done then dyno the chit out of it; JMHO. :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 06:51:37 AM »

Hey BC,
Would love to see some pics even if it is not detailed.  Thanx for the ride report.  I am getting more and more excited about picking up mine.  Was thinking about a new seat also, just from reading opinions like yours.  Is the paint as visually stunning as most say, regarding pictures vs reality?

L8R
Seegarz

Can't post pics, unfortunately.  My dig. camera "disappeared" during our move-in last fall.  The paint is excellent, but (IMO) varies from pretty low-key in the case of the blue, to pretty well stunning in the red.  Personally I don't like the tangerine.  I like the red, but it has enough orange in it that I thought I might get tired of it.  Even the blue pops in the sunlight, though.  The graphics are placed right where the sun hits the top curves of the tank. 

500 miles later, and I'm still impressed with the front-end handling vs. conventional forks.  I've also had a chance to start opening it up a bit.  Lots of power, but you can feel that the motor is capable of a lot more. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 06:56:01 AM »

Find a really good tuner and go with his suggestion on the pipes and tuner....IMHO
jeffj

I think you're right.  Stopped at Heritage HD in Concord NH this weekend.  They have a dyno and do SERT tuning - but will only install pipes "that they know will pass inspection."  Since NH actually has a pretty reasonable noise-level approach, it was kind of odd that they only allowed their techs to install ONE aftermarket slip-on (yep, one) on Softails. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »

Congrats on the bike. I've mine for about 6 months ( mostly winter though ) and just took it to M Beach for the Spring rally. 3300 miles so far - going in for new head gaskets next week. Hey - that's what the warranty is for right?
You'll love the bike - I've got a 97 Heritage Springer too and wouldn't get rid of it for the world.
That Harley dealer that won't put pipes on is making my head hurt ! Tell him to go sell BMW's
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 05:06:48 AM »

Hey Beerman,
You leaking or just want a gasket replacement?  Seems a little early for that kinda thing, no?   :nixweiss: :-X

Seegarz

Seegarsmkr

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 08:12:28 AM »

That Harley dealer that won't put pipes on is making my head hurt ! Tell him to go sell BMW's
-Beerman

Man, do you have that right.

I finally found a SERT tuner in the area.  Got some opinions over the phone, too, along the lines of "HD's pipes are mostly crap" and they'd be able to direct me to some better options, depending on what I wanted to accomplish.  At $85/hour for dyno time, they're more reasonable than Heritage HD, too (they're $100).

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »

I have 2 leaking head gaskets - both going to be fixed after the new parts come in next week.
Wait and see what happens - too early to start bitching.
Glad I have a couple of other bikes, it's too nice out to drive a car !!
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 01:59:50 AM »

...please keep us posted.

Seegarz :(

Seegarsmkr

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 04:36:11 AM »

Congrats on the new scoot  :2vrolijk_21:

but  :worthless:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.