Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Look out for your Head Stock Bearings!  (Read 2861 times)

Graham UK

Look out for your Head Stock Bearings!
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:42 AM »

I picked up my Springer on March 7th, The Burnt Orange Colour.
After some 200 miles, grease was oozing from the bottom of the headstock. I pointed this out at first service 500 miles. Yup the headstock bearings have gone and need replacing?
Talking to A Harley Mechanic the other week, and he reckoned that it is normal to have to replace the headstock bearings every 5,000 or before, and that it is the price of having a Springer!
OK I have all the usual problems of grinding on bends, headstock bearings, and the scary front brake (I now use front and rear at all times) But I am going to change the front for an HHi if I can get it shipped from the USA?
I would not swap the Springer for anything. It is so pleasing to look at and ride. And I am constantly been asked "Can I Take a Photo"
One other thing: It will Out-Drag a sports bike in a straight line, well none have passed me yet!

"Take it Easy on the Bends, and Slam it Down the Straights" What an Awesome Machine!  :2vrolijk_21:

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: Look out for your Head Stock Bearings!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »

Welcome to the site, Graham!

laissez les bon temps rouler - from Bourbon St, New Orleans!

Feel free to introduce yourself to everyonne here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=30.0
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »

Thank you for The Welcome. I can see I am among Friends Here!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »

graham welcome to the site.  springers are hard on the head bearings but i have to disagree with your mechanic. the bearings should be greased at set up and every service and will squeeze out of both bearings and the fork lock and probably just not wiped off.  thy should be adjusted a little tighter than the book says and thy will need adjusting at the first service.  I've never seen them go bad that quick but i guess there is a first time for every thing. nice ride by the way ,  hope you enjoy it.   axil  
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

bossman

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Autumn Haze & High Octane Orange
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Copper & Black Onyx
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »

graham welcome to the site.  springers are hard on the head bearings but i have to disagree with your mechanic. the bearings should be greased at set up and every service and will squeeze out of both bearings and the fork lock and probably just not wiped off.  thy should be adjusted a little tighter than the book says and thy will need adjusting at the first service.  I've never seen them go bad that quick but i guess there is a first time for every thing. nice ride by the way ,  hope you enjoy it.   axil  

Welcome to the site
 I have to agree with Axil on this. My 2003 Just rolled 19,000 mile this past week and it has the same bearings in it. They both ooze grease after service also. I Hope things work out for you because it's a great bike to ride and it turns the head's when people see them also.
Bossman

SGUKFXSTSSE2

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »

Hi Graham,

Mine has done the same since new, the grease gets packed in tight so when you get them warm, or after use it comes out.

They shouldn't need replacing more than every 8-10K miles, if adjusted correctly.

Get yourself a service manual and check after every service!!

Simon

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »

Hi Graham and welcome to the CVO Forum.

Which part of the good old U of K are you from ??

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:03:45 AM »

Hi Graham and welcome to the CVO Forum.

Which part of the good old U of K are you from ??

Nige
Thank you all for the information. I will get the manual and check after servicing.
I live in North Wales!

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »

welcome to the site! Everyone should have the same problem, the dealer told me the grease from factory is thinner than the one they use when they service your bike. therefore as you put some miles (service) on your bike it should almost stop.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »

Heavier grease and proper torque....When I dis-assembled mine (after 70+ years) they were just worn enough to warrant changing...They should last longer the 5k miles

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 06:38:42 AM »

Hi Graham,

I live in Northern Spain, have the 2008 CVO Springer and it does exactly the same thing your one does. It is just another one of those things  :-\ As long as the adjustment on the head bearings is correct, you should not have to worry about them for many thousands of miles to go. The design is crap because you have a greasing nipple in the middle and in order to reach the top conical bearing you must fill the whole thing! No wonder it spews down the bottom. The only thing holding the grease is a dust cover; there are no seals. As someone suggested it would be much better to use higher density grease; something like MOLYKOTE (with molybdenum) and if you are stripping the whole thing, just pack the bearings with that grease, don't fill the whole steering head with the grease nipple.
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 22 queries.