Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 110 problems: Got the call from my Harley dealer today.....  (Read 6917 times)

drogers

• Full CVO Member
110 problems: Got the call from my Harley dealer today.....
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

He said they have the new engine kit in that takes care of the 110 engine problems and I can bring it in any time.I haven't even received the notification letter yet. Anyone else had the new engine kit installed on their Springer yet?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: 110 problems: Got the call from my Harley dealer today.....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »

Not on my Springers but I've had the kit installed on my 2008 SE Road King last week. That bike is running good, but I didn't notice any problems before hand either.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »

I haven't had any problems either.(4000 miles '08 model) What does this kit include?

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »

If you go to your dealer they will run your vin #. That tells them what they are suppose to replace.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:17:38 PM »

On my SERK, there were quite a few gaskets they replaced, including the cylinder head gaskets. They also replace a crankcase bolt and both ACRs. I believe they are also authorized to replace certain engine components based upon the inspection of cylinders and heads.

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »

Depending on what they have to rip apart, it could be a good way to upgrade with minimal labor charge. I think I may upgrade the cam.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:21 AM »

Mine is installed. I had no leak but did it anyway.

keimee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »

The sorry assed service dept at the dealership scratched my tank and frame and then swore they didnt.  I was pissed.  They did make it right and polish the scratches out of the tank, but the frame has got a really good scratch in it.  They had to order the touch up paint and they are going to try and fix it that way.  I told them I was going to pick up the bike and I would bring it back when they get the stuff in to fix it.  Makes you wonder about even taking it in for service when this kind of thing happens.  I think the techs arent too happy when they have to work on warranty or recall problems.  Do they even pay them for the work??
Keith

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »

Before the letter came I had blown both head and base gaskets, then they put the recall kit in with the new improved head gasket, and the ACR's.

It will not start right away now, just grinds and backfires, so I took it back and after 5 hours they said it was my ECM and they put a temporary one in. (I told them when I dropped it off that I thought the ACR's were the problem) so I went out to start my 2007 FXSTSSE2 and it was worst than when I brought it in.

I had the service advisor and the mechanic come out to the dealers parking lot and told them " How about you guys start this up for me." they tried and it just went grind, grind, backfire.

They said bring it back next week when the ECM comes in and we will put new ACR"s and ECM in at that time.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:38:27 PM »

The sorry assed service dept at the dealership scratched my tank and frame and then swore they didnt.  I was pissed.  They did make it right and polish the scratches out of the tank, but the frame has got a really good scratch in it.  They had to order the touch up paint and they are going to try and fix it that way.  I told them I was going to pick up the bike and I would bring it back when they get the stuff in to fix it.  Makes you wonder about even taking it in for service when this kind of thing happens.  I think the techs arent too happy when they have to work on warranty or recall problems.  Do they even pay them for the work??

The Techs get paid the same hourly rate the owner of the dealer pays them, whether it's warranty work or not.  The difference is who the dealer bills, either the customer (non-warranty or normal service), the MoCo (2-year warranty work, recalls, and product enhancements), or the underwriter of the the Extended Service Plan (extended warranty work).

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

jester

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »

Took mine in Tuesday for a leak at the base of the rear jug.  Service manager said 'we're slow now, we should be able to turn this around in a few days'.  The dealer agrees this is warranty work.  They told me they would have to contact the factory for instructions.  To make a long story short the engine is in pieces and now they say they are waiting on instructions from the factory.  At this time I must say I'm not happy with the dealer or the factory, but I don't know who's responsible.  Any ideas?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »

Took mine in Tuesday for a leak at the base of the rear jug.  Service manager said 'we're slow now, we should be able to turn this around in a few days'.  The dealer agrees this is warranty work.  They told me they would have to contact the factory for instructions.  To make a long story short the engine is in pieces and now they say they are waiting on instructions from the factory.  At this time I must say I'm not happy with the dealer or the factory, but I don't know who's responsible.  Any ideas?

Welcome to the site jester! I assume you're talking an '07 or '08 SE Springer? You seem to have a lot of catching up and reading to do here. The dealer should have run your VIN, and the 110 Product Enhancement should have come up. they owe you new, case bolt, ACR's, gaskets and to get the damn leak(s) and ACR's fixed!!! The factory's responsible for letting these motors out they way they were. Their solution seems to be this Enhancement Program. Time will tell if it does the trick or not. The dealer's responsible for getting ALL your parts from the MoCo for this enhancement BEFORE they tear your bike apart! Almost none do! There are numerous threads here explaining the 110 mess! There's a search button on the top right of every page. Read them so you'll be able to talk to your dealer in an informed manner next time. But this sums up what you're owed. You also should have gotten a letter from the MoCo. The dealer should have appraised you of it too. Sounds like the dealer might not have had a clue (or is playing stupid) about the EP, and now he's caught with your bike apart. Hate to tell ya this, but guys have been waiting WEEKS for these parts with their bikes at dealers. It's being handled very poorly by HD. So frankly, in your case, they're both to blame for your situation. STF & STD!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Best of luck with the repairs, and enjoy this Great Site! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »

The 'upgrade' comes in a box. Just got mine and am doing the work myself !  {NO STRATCHES}  In the 'box' comes NEW head gaskets 16801-07B { #4 different head gaskets since 07} and they are .055 thick. New 'square' cyl. base gaskets  {rubber O-rings that are square instead of round} , crankcase center bolt that has a o-ring on it so it doesn't leak , NEW comp. releases {ACR} and ALL the other gaskets to do the jod , rocker box gaskets,intake seals,pushrods seals,etc.  SFFS 19

jester

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

Talked to the service people at HD in Milwaukee today.. Carol was very nice, told me the recall had already been down on my bike and at this time she didn't know how to respond since 1.  she didn't see a call from the local dealer about my problem  2.  this normally didn't happen after the recall had been done.  I'll be talking to the service manager tomorrow when the local dealer is open and see what kind of feedback I get.  stay tuned for the next chapter

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:21 PM »

Talked to the service people at HD in Milwaukee today.. Carol was very nice, told me the recall had already been down on my bike and at this time she didn't know how to respond since 1.  she didn't see a call from the local dealer about my problem  2.  this normally didn't happen after the recall had been done.  I'll be talking to the service manager tomorrow when the local dealer is open and see what kind of feedback I get.  stay tuned for the next chapter

lol....

mine was done 4 times already..
the first time both head gaskets and the rear clyinder base gasket started leaking right after I picked the bike up!
the second time the rear cylinder base gasket was still leaking.
the third time they swapped the clyinders and the leak moved to the front clyinder, so they ordered a new clyinder.
The fourth time and the front clyinder still weeps oil......

it's going back again...they are talking about replacing the cases now, I'm going to push for a new motor... :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »

lol....

mine was done 4 times already..
the first time both head gaskets and the rear clyinder base gasket started leaking right after I picked the bike up!
the second time the rear cylinder base gasket was still leaking.
the third time they swapped the clyinders and the leak moved to the front clyinder, so they ordered a new clyinder.
The fourth time and the front clyinder still weeps oil......

it's going back again...they are talking about replacing the cases now, I'm going to push for a new motor... :2vrolijk_21:

Good God! If the '07 wasn't such a cool and classic bike, I'm sure it would be gone by now. I respect you for hanging in for an eventual fix! maybe the new motor will do the trick.

jester

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

chapter 3
well the dealer was open today and as promised Carol was talking to them early this morning.  the story is the recall was done, but not the crankcase bolt.  my assumption is the recall done at the other dealer was just not done very well.  Harley was informed of what wasn't done but there is no feedback from the company what, if anything, happened with the dealer who did a less than complete recall.  After I had a fairly long conversation with the service manager about my expectations I left with my bike being promised back tomorrow.  Later this afternoon I received a call from the service adviser who informed me that my rocker cover was damaged, by the previous poor repair shop, and the company would be replacing that gratis.  Now I should have my machine back Thursday.  I guess we'll see.

jester

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »

chapter 4
bike back on Thursday, been riding most of the day.  No leak evident, looks like everything is fixed, hopefully for good.  sounds like if you have a problem Harley is working to fix it, one step at a time, slowly, not just throwing new engines out there.   I was happy at the end but don't know what kind of response it would have been if I hadn't stayed on em.  I plan on rolling some miles on the next month, this is a good time to be riding in Texas
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.