Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHEEL BEARING BLOW OUT!  (Read 8402 times)

the barber

• Full CVO Member
WHEEL BEARING BLOW OUT!
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

I had my tire replaced a 800 miles ago, and was just on my way home when both rear wheel bearings blew out. I was able to save it and come to a stop. Hear is where the problem begins. The bike is at a dealership close to my house, not where i had the tire replaced. The dealership that replaced the tire is claiming that they did nothing wrong(over tightened wheel,put on slightly crooked,ect.). Before anyone touches the bike I would like to know what to do? Who is responsible so it doesnt happen again. What steps do you guys think I should take?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: WHEEL BEARING BLOW OUT!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

I had my tire replaced a 800 miles ago, and was just on my way home when both rear wheel bearings blew out. I was able to save it and come to a stop. Hear is where the problem begins. The bike is at a dealership close to my house, not where i had the tire replaced. The dealership that replaced the tire is claiming that they did nothing wrong(over tightened wheel,put on slightly crooked,ect.). Before anyone touches the bike I would like to know what to do? Who is responsible so it doesnt happen again. What steps do you guys think I should take?

When you say "Blow Out" what exactly happened?

:indian_chief:

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »

This sounds a little odd,need more info.Street bikes,dirt bikes under the worst conditions.Never had a problem other than old age in 35 years with wheel bearings.

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

The bearings opposite the belt are totally gone except for for one piece of a metal shard, and the other side almost seems slightly bent. The service manager where I took it said he never saw anything like it.  Sorry I dont have pics. The dealer was closing.

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »

I had this happen to my in just about the same amount of miles.  I trailered it home and when the shop foreman watched it get tore down he found the issue.  The brake caliper has a rubber pin where it is supposed to line up in the swingarm.  It was not aligned and was placing a constant side force on the rotor assembly.  It is a little hard to believe but it has never happened again.  The shop ended up replacing the two wheels bearings and the brake rotor.

If you look under your bike at the bottom of the brake rotor you will see the pin I am speaking of.  You may also want to look at your brake rotor and see if the rivets holding the two pieces are still tight and if the rotor is discolored.

Not saying that is your problem buy it might be.  IMO if you find this to be the case then it is the person the placed your wheel back on your bike after the tire change.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:21 AM »

What model and year bike are we talking about?  Wheel bearing failures are extremely rare so the odds are that something was put together improperly during the tire change.  Having both bearings go at the same time would make this extremely unlikely to be just a random chance sort of failure.  However, proving that may be a bit of a problem.  If the original dealer won't accept responsibility, or pulls some crap about having to return the bike to them, then you have to look at what it would cost to transport the bike back to them while realizing that they may still blow you off and leave you with the transport cost as well as the repair.

This is one of those situations that all too many of us run into when dealing with our friendly dealerships.  A strong desire to not let them screw us says take it back and pressure them to do the right thing.  But then common sense and experience say to just find a better place (dealer or independent) to handle your work and pay to have it fixed.  I personally hate doing that because it feels like I'm letting them get away with something, but after years of fighting the fight I've grown weary.  Now if they don't respond favorably or at least fairly to a complaint, they go on the list of places never to see another of my dollars and I go elsewhere.

BTW, if you feel like fighting and paid for the tire change with a credit card, you could also dispute the charges with the credit card company.  May or may not get anywhere, but if nothing else the dealer will have to respond to the inquiry.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »

Is your bike under warranty?  If so, any cost should be covered regardless of what dealership did the tire replacement - right?   :nixweiss:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »

Its definately covered. Im more concerned that it doesnt happen again, and that it gets fixed right.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:03:45 PM »

Honestly, if it is as I understand it, that you took the bike for a tire change and as a result of that the bearings are busted, I tell you man, 1 + 1 = 2. I would not trust THAT mechanic ever again; there is a spacer that holds both bearings at the correct distance, but if they forget to put it in or they use an air tool to tighten the spindle nut, they will force the bearings and other parts in a bad way. The same goes to IRide and the bull$hit he got from his dealer; but cases IMHO were caused by bad workmanship :-[ and there is no excuse for it. Lucky you didn't have an accident  :-\, but also as important, H-D will not accept bad workmanship from their dealers and will not pay for a warranty repair; it has to be the Dealer who recognizes the bad doing and replaces all damaged parts to his own expense. Sometimes it is better to follow the dealers explanation and don't fuss about it IF he does everything under warranty; if he blames you then go directly to customers complaints and don't pay a dime.

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49:56 PM »

Called the dealer where I took my bike to be fixed after the bearing problem. They told me they had to order some part for the bike but could not explain because he was trying to close. He said he would call me in the morning. They seem to be really understanding. I will post something as soon as I find out.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »

Is your bike under warranty?  If so, any cost should be covered regardless of what dealership did the tire replacement - right?   :nixweiss:

Not necessarily Scott.  If dealership #1 caused the failure through lousy workmanship, H-D isn't liable under the terms of the warranty.  Harley is liable for "factory" parts and labor problems, not for what happens at a dealership.  Dealership #2 may submit a claim to Harley, but even though the odds are it would go through uncontested it isn't a sure thing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »

Got good bad news today. The dealer called and said they have to replace the back wheel because its bent. HD is eatting the bill.

MikeD

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

How long are you without a bike now?  Loaner?

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »

They gave me my bike back with only a very slight vibration. The wheel is on order. The vibration is so mild you could barely feel it unless you knew what you were looking for. Same day I got it back the po po gave me a ticket for 5 mph over the speed limit. I guess the township is a little short on cash, Ye well thats the may it goes.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 06:46:45 AM »

Got good bad news today. The dealer called and said they have to replace the back wheel because its bent. HD is eatting the bill.

How did the wheel become bent. :nixweiss: Maybe in the tire changer. :confused5: Dont matter now glad your up and going. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.