Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 07 110" recall CVO Springer  (Read 9435 times)

AZSSE

07 110" recall CVO Springer
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »

Just got my bike back from getting the factory recall(gaskets, automatic compression release,etc) They did a great job, no scratches, dents, or anything. Doesn't leak(never did), but I swear it seems like my pipes are louder( a good loud) than before. Is this possible?
Thamks.
AZSSE

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: 07 110" recall CVO Springer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »

You lucked out on the scratches. I got so tired of finding scratches, loose bolts, rattles, and other flaws in workmanship that I'm gradually doing more work on my own bikes.

steve4266

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »

recently had recall work completed (gaskets,etc). 
there are four good Harley dealers within 50 mile radius.  upon talking with fellow bikers, i found out where the best mechanic/technicians were - scheduled appt - had work done immediately (and within half a day). No scratches, no leaks, etc. -they even cleaned and had my bike looking better than when i brought it in.  just because they are Harley-trained technicians doesn't necessarily mean they are good - it takes a person with good common sense to be good.  i would definitely go to this dealer again (if they have the same technicians)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:51:43 AM by steve4266 »

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

I can't say enough good things about my HD dealer. Every employee I have dealt with has outstanding people skills.I did have the service adviser do a walk around before they started work and had him note the bike was flawless and fully detailed.He noted on the ticket.This will avoid any he said she said crap.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »

Brought my 08 CVO springer in on Monday morning for the recall work and to add some chrome. They said that the bike would be ready that evening. Called Monday evening and they said it would be ready today. Called today and they said it may be ready tomorrow afternoon. When pressed why it is taking so long they told me that the tech broke a bolt when removing the starter. Would this require 2 extra days of work? How would this be fixed? Easyout? Replace housing? How will I know if the repair was done properly? The bike only has 600 miles on it and is in mint condition. Given some of the prior posts here, I am also concerned about scratches. I'll let you know about the sound if/when I ever get the bike back. Holding my breath......

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

Brought my 08 CVO springer in on Monday morning for the recall work and to add some chrome. They said that the bike would be ready that evening. Called Monday evening and they said it would be ready today. Called today and they said it may be ready tomorrow afternoon. When pressed why it is taking so long they told me that the tech broke a bolt when removing the starter. Would this require 2 extra days of work? How would this be fixed? Easyout? Replace housing? How will I know if the repair was done properly? The bike only has 600 miles on it and is in mint condition. Given some of the prior posts here, I am also concerned about scratches. I'll let you know about the sound if/when I ever get the bike back. Holding my breath......

i would be straight down to the dealer to see the state of repair for myself, and get them to clarify exactly how there gonna repair it.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

Continued.....Spoke with service last night. They said the inner primary cover they were supposed to replace also had a scratch in it when they opened up the box from the factory. Said they would button up the bike and I could take it home today, and bring it back when the new (#3) cover came in. Called them today to see what time I could pick up the bike and was told that they will not put the cover back on unless I wanted to pay for the gaskets. They plan on holding onto the bike until the new part comes in (5-7 days). I plan on visiting this evening. This is my first Harley. Is this poor customer service the norm for the brand or just Wildfire Harley in Villa Park IL? Anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed? I am really starting to get PO!

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Another update......After threatening to request a loaner bike, as per the ESP I purchased (thank God I did), and explaining it might be a better business decision to eat the gasket kit instead of loaning me a bike for the next 6+ days, the dealer called me back and said they would put the bike back together and I can bring it in when the new part arrives (I have since decided to replace the stock inner primary cover with the chrome one).

FYI, I was also informed that the chrome cylinder base cover I ordered part #32042-07 (page 271, 09' catalog) does not fit the 110, and that the factory does not make one that will fit (parts department assured me it would fit prior to purchase).

Sorry for all the bitching, just needed to vent. Where else but here!

PS, my screen name should have been ILIKECHROME

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »

u bitch all u like mate, thats one of the reasons were here

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »

You lucked out on the scratches. I got so tired of finding scratches, loose bolts, rattles, and other flaws in workmanship that I'm gradually doing more work on my own bikes.

CHANGE YOUR DEALER!!!!!!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Re: 07 110" recall CVO Springer "SURPRISED"
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

Hey Guys & Gals,

I wasn't expecting any letter or anything better than what I got when I entered my VIN number in H-D's webpage, and I say his because living abroad in Spain, I wasn't even expecting my dealer to inform me about the "upgrade". That was and is a fact; I only learned about the problem while reading US H-D's forums.

Anyway I opened the door this morning to a UPS serviceman who delivered a small parcel containing a lovely book about Harley's history loaded with photos and tons of info from the origins and development of "Hardley motorsicles".... I was about to throw all other papers that came with the book when I noticed the letter about the need to take the bike to my dealer so they could "improve" m bike.....

One way or the other, if H-D's idea was to reach to the offended client and apologize for the design flaws..... they have done a good job, because I now feel rewarded and protected by Harley's policy towards the client. No doubt however that I would have prefered to get a fully tested bike prior to sending it to the market, but don't we all suffer from "Mocosoft" programs??

Just hope the fix is the last I hear from HD's "improvements"...... :-X

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

Got the bike back yesterday. No noticeable change in sound. No scratches. Put 70 miles on the bike today and no leaks! Awaiting the new primary cover. The story is not over (probably will never be), but I'm feeling a lot better about the bike and HD in general. 

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

Hey Springer

Avoid this dealership.  Had many a bad experience with them two years ago.  They are not customer orientated and tend to lose parts while doing service work.  I'm not sure about this, I think they are owned by a group of people.  All they want is to get rich off of bikers.

Try Lake Shore Harley, good group and they know their stuff around the Service Department.

astromikey

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

I am taking my '07 in tomorrow.  I must have missed something in the letter ... I didn't know they were doing anything with the inner primary cover?  Can someone who has had an '07 'free upgrade' done please tell me what all they are going to do?

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »

if it's the 0906 "upgrade" they will replace the head gaskets, ACR's and crankcase center bolt.

I finally heard from my local dealer today, my upgrade parts are in and I'm dropping my bike off on Wed morning.
as of right now, both head gaskets are leaking and the center bolt "weeps" oil over time.

will be interesting to see how this works out, I have LED lights under my fuel tank, I hope the don't destroy them doing the warranty work.....
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

krank

• CVO1: 2008 screaming eagle springer
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »

hey springervett, sorry about your experience @ wildfire hd. i'm in oswego and got my springer from them last year, the purchase went smooth and down hill from there. the work they did over the winter took  2 weeks longer than told but fotunately the weather was on their side.the big problems came in the spring when i went back for the full dyno tune. after 12 days of lies from service, hang ups from service and alot of " i don't know why " from every one, i went and took mt bike to find in that time they did not even fix the gas cap. waited another week thinking service manager would call but he did'ny. so i cooled off and called, complained, they picked up the bike, tuned it and then wanted me to pick it up i did to find they wanted to charge me for something i paid for in december ( the tune ).i took the bike, no charge told them they lost my sevice business as well any future parts or bikes.after all that you think some one would call or send a letter. NOT. i now go to chi-town in tinley park, who nice enough to sell me an 08 street glide to keep my springer company.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »

Inner primary cover is only being replaced because it was scratched at the factory. I'm am replacing it with the chrome one so if anyone is interested in a brand new, in the box, stock inner primary cover let me know.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »

Thanks krank. If things continue on the downhill slide with Wildfire I will have to drive out to Tinley Park. May also check out the dealer in Lisle.

astromikey

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

dropped off when they opened tuesday, called just now (wednesday afternoon) still not done.  Why does it take three days to do what the manual says is a six hour job?  guy just told me for sure ready tomorrow so I figure I got 50/50 for it being done by saturday.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

Welcome to the club! Good news is the "fix" worked. Mentioned above that I ordered the chrome inner primary cover over a week ago. Called yesterday to see if it had come in and was told it was never ordered on the system ("computer problems"). Now have to wait another week for the part.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »

Got the bike back today from getting the recall done. :pepper:

before I left, they took it for another test ride while I was there to make sure everything was still ok (they test rode it after they completed the work, then washed it).
I rode away and was sitting at a traffic light on a jug handle right next to the dealership, while waiting for the light, I was looking down at the engine and noticed fresh oil seeping from the left side of the rear cylinder base!  WTF!!! (this is also EXACTLY where it was seeping before the "fix")

rode right back to the dealership and showed them, they cleaned it and took it for a much longer test ride, when the technician came back it was seeping, he said that he had stopped while was riding and wiped it off to see how long it would take to seep again. we also noticed a little oil seeping in the same spot at the base of the front cylinder...

bottom line is, they need to tear it down again and try to find out why the new base gaskets didn't seal.
I took the bike home anyway because it's going to be really nice this weekend not to ride, and they wouldn't have been able to do anything to it until Monday anyway (they are closed Saturday for the holiday).

they are hoping that it was just oil that was in the cylinder stud holes from when the head gaskets were bad and it's seeping out, That's one of the reasons I agreed to take it home this weekend..  I know it's a long shot but I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens..... got my fingers crossed. :nixweiss:

They have done about 10 of the 110 recalls so far, and this is the first one that did this.

If they have to tear it down again, I asked them to call HD to let them know what happened, and also to check the clearances on the cylinder and case to make sure they are within tolerances.

They offered me a loaner bike for the weekend, but I chose to take mine home and bring it back on Monday morning.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »

Spent about 15 minutes responding to Duece. When I went to send the message I received a message that the system timed out and all my work was gone. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! I will respond when I have some more time.

Quick response.... Check the acorn bolts on the frame mount under the exhaust system to make sure they are tight. Had residual oil after the recall work. After a good detail of the bike no more drips.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »

Spent about 15 minutes responding to Duece. When I went to send the message I received a message that the system timed out and all my work was gone. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! I will respond when I have some more time.

Quick response.... Check the acorn bolts on the frame mount under the exhaust system to make sure they are tight. Had residual oil after the recall work. After a good detail of the bike no more drips.

My leak is at the clyinder base, no drips on the floor, just seeping from the base of the clyinder....
also, I just noticed today it appears both head gaskets are leaking again. :'(

astromikey

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »

Got my bike back yesterday ... they had it from Tue - Sat.  Called me too late on Saturday so I picked it up Monday.  No leaks before, no leaks after so far.  But they did leave my throttle cable tension way too loose, didn't reset the time on my clock, and didn't organize the wires properly on the instrument panel lights to the point that neutral light was popped out about 1/8 inch ... I fixed all those things myself last night when I got home.  Hopefuly the leaks don't start.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »

Noticed last night that the boots on my throttle and idle cable adjusters were down on the cables. Investigated further and found that the lock nuts were not even tightened and were backed off about 1/2". I have put about 400 miles on the bike since the recall work and just noticed this (my bad). I plan on going through the bike tonight to see what else was not tightened (see prior post on missing/loose acorn nuts on frame bracket under the mufflers). Scary!

jeffdoane

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

Droped my 08 off today for the recall work.  I have decided to send the heads and cylinders off to get them diamond cut while the bike is apart.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

Good luck...Let us know how it turns out.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 24 queries.