Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Oil Change  (Read 4829 times)

bcnu53

• Wyoming Rider
First Oil Change
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »

changed the engine oil and wanted to use Spectro for the tranny and primary, but had to order it as I could not find it local.
should have all 3 done later this week
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:49:52 PM by bcnu53 »
2007 CVO Springer

seltaeb

• Junior CVO Member
Re: First Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »

I personally stuck with the HD synthetic. :2vrolijk_21: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :pineapple: :huepfenjump3:

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:20 PM »

I went with Amsoil in all 3 holes. Bike runs smoother and trans shifts quieter. I wont be going back to the HD Syn 3.

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »

Does anybody use Mobile 1?
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »

Does anybody use Mobile 1?

There are a large number of Mobil 1 V-Twin users on the site; I would guess more Mobil users than Amsoil users.

To each his own, but I still like the idea of a real gear oil in the trans as opposed to a "one size fits all" solution.  Spectro is very good, as is Redline Shockproof Heavy or Amsoil Gear Oil, Mobil 1 Gear Oil, Bel-Ray, etc.  Stick with the standard 75w90 weight for normal riding, or if you prefer go with the 75w140 if you mainly ride in extreme high temps.  

My personal choices:   Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 in the engine, Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Trans Fluid in the primary, and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans.  And don't let the "Heavy" in the name of the Redline product throw you off, it is a 75w90 fluid.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »

I am using Amsoil in motor and primary redline in the trany

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »

I use HD synthetic
That just happened

Staylock

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

Mobile 1 in the motor, Redline primary in the primary and Redline shockproof heavy gear oil in the gear box.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »

Mobile 1 in the motor, Redline primary in the primary and Redline shockproof heavy gear oil in the gear box.
A winning combination for sure.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »

My first oil change: mobil 1 in crank, redline in tranny, and HD synthetic in primary. Next will be all HD synthetic. It's good enough. Old school says changing frequently is more important than brand. I will stick to synthetic due to the high engine temps.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »

Mobile 1 in all 3 holes. Harley recommends 20w-50 in all 3 holes and it was designed that way. No more old school that only GEAR oil should be used for transmission. IMO.   

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »

x2 :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »

Mobile 1 in all 3 holes. Harley recommends 20w-50 in all 3 holes and it was designed that way. No more old school that only GEAR oil should be used for transmission. IMO.   

Actually, Harley still uses and recommends their own gear oil in the trans and primary on everything other than the CVO's.  It's called Formula+ I believe.  The one lube in all three holes is something they started with the CVO's and only with the SYN3 oil.

BTW, a 50 weight motor oil is about the same actual viscosity as a 90 weight gear oil.  They have different rating systems so the numbers don't match, but the actual viscosity is almost identical.  The differences between gear oils and motor oils are a lot more involved than just viscosity ratings, and while you can "get by" with a motor oil that has a few extra additives for the gearbox, a properly formulated gear oil will still be superior over the long haul.  Some of the best antiwear additives cannot be added to motor oil due to EPA regulations (certain things that can damage or destroy catalysts, for instance), and others are not compatible with the high moisture environment in an engine oil system due to rapid formation of acids.  So the stuff that SYN3 and Amsoil and Mobil 1 put in their oil that's advertised as good for all 3 holes doesn't necessarily contain the very best extreme pressure additives available.  For many/most it probably wouldn't make a significant difference in the life of the gearbox, since most don't put enough miles on a Harley to wear out the gears.  But there is a difference, and there is a reason that both products exist.  Old school has nothing to do with it. 

Let me ask a hypothetical question.  Would you put the same 5w20 motor oil you have in your truck engine in the rear axle and the transmission?  Do you wonder why the auto manufacturer's don't use one fluid in all holes?  It would make life in the assembly plants and dealerships much simpler and reduce costs if they only had to stock and use one fluid for everything.  And yet they don't do that; wonder why.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

Actually, Harley still uses and recommends their own gear oil in the trans and primary on everything other than the CVO's.  It's called Formula+ I believe.  The one lube in all three holes is something they started with the CVO's and only with the SYN3 oil.

BTW, a 50 weight motor oil is about the same actual viscosity as a 90 weight gear oil.  They have different rating systems so the numbers don't match, but the actual viscosity is almost identical.  The differences between gear oils and motor oils are a lot more involved than just viscosity ratings, and while you can "get by" with a motor oil that has a few extra additives for the gearbox, a properly formulated gear oil will still be superior over the long haul.  Some of the best antiwear additives cannot be added to motor oil due to EPA regulations (certain things that can damage or destroy catalysts, for instance), and others are not compatible with the high moisture environment in an engine oil system due to rapid formation of acids.  So the stuff that SYN3 and Amsoil and Mobil 1 put in their oil that's advertised as good for all 3 holes doesn't necessarily contain the very best extreme pressure additives available.  For many/most it probably wouldn't make a significant difference in the life of the gearbox, since most don't put enough miles on a Harley to wear out the gears.  But there is a difference, and there is a reason that both products exist.  Old school has nothing to do with it. 

Let me ask a hypothetical question.  Would you put the same 5w20 motor oil you have in your truck engine in the rear axle and the transmission?  Do you wonder why the auto manufacturer's don't use one fluid in all holes?  It would make life in the assembly plants and dealerships much simpler and reduce costs if they only had to stock and use one fluid for everything.  And yet they don't do that; wonder why.

Jerry

Excellent analysis.

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 21 queries.