Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 LED tail light - brake light not working  (Read 13916 times)

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
09 LED tail light - brake light not working
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

My tail light is on but doesn't get brighter when brakes applied. Any ideas on what to look for?

I've already looked at all the fuses and for bad connections/rubbing wires.

TLC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3
Re: 09 LED tail light - brake light not working
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »

Mine quit working when applying brakes and just quit altogether then would come on if I hit a bump in the road.Dealer said others were bad too.Luckily was under warranty and just plugged new one in and been fine for 2 years on the FXSTSSE3.Rode over to Savannah last weekend to Iron horse and Poopys.Nice ride.2 V-8 Chopper trikes pulled in,nice looking rides.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

That's funny, I was at both places on Saturday. I stand corrected on my light. I think my light is on the bright setting at all times like the brakes are being applied.

Checking out the brake switches this week.

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »

I found out my rear brake pressure switch is bad. Wasn't this a problem on the baggers?

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

1st time I noticed, brake light stayed on from my front brake lever. If I pushed lever out, it turned off, but back on sometimes when I let pressure off. Dealer replaced master cylinder on warranty and fixed it.

Just past month it started again, found by working lever it turned off. Being careful with the paint job, I tried spraying WD40 around brake switch & master cylinder plunger, doesn't stick as much. Brakes ready for replacement so I plan to take part of lever apart to clean & lightly lube all moving parts & run clean brake fluid through all the lines to see if that will fix it.

I'm thinking the master cylinder's internal spring on the plunger isn't very strong but now wonder about the brake sensor switches, probably all made in China...

Thanks for sharing!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »

I found out my rear brake pressure switch is bad. Wasn't this a problem on the baggers?

It wound up being a recall for the baggers.......I would argue that point with the shop!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

nevinlee

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »

The problem might be in brake switch, or lose connection inside the light itself, not the wiring that connects it. Try checking that also.

Engz16

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 CVO Softail Springer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

I had the same problem with my 08. Took the tailight apart and where the 2 boards attach together for the license plate light and brake light the connector solder joint was broken. It was hard to find but its the bottom of the black connector between the 2 boards. If you lift on it you should be able to tell if its broken. Should have taken a photo. Got out the soldering iron and resoldered. took about 1/2 hour. no problems since.

Massiah

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »

I'm having the same issue, ordered  a replacement off ebay, had the same problem...hmmm any fixes yet?

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.