Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Recent improvements  (Read 124730 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Recent improvements
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »

Have done a few mods and added a few things since I purchased my bike in July.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26287.msg426247#msg426247

Posting some photos to show what I've done. Always interested in feedback. The goal here is to personalize and dress up the bike as well as to make it more functional. Chrome being one the things that does both - it obviously dresses up the bike and makes it so much more functional as each chrome tidbit creates another mirror-like surface for you to see your reflection in! Another opportunity on this particular bike is adding gold items. Trying to stop short of "Pimp my ride" status, may have failed already.

We'll start with the footpeg additions. Added 3 sets of Kuryakyn flamin pegs (two pair are the flamin switchblades). Actually came out better than planned. I now have a virtual floorbaord from the lower portion of the swingout section to the top of the highway peg yet can close the swingarm and go back to a more standard look. The set I put on the passenger peg position keeps the passengers heel off the pipes, greatly reducing (almost eliminating) the molten shoe sole problem.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:04:45 AM by Buy early »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

Re: Recent improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »

Switchblade peg closed

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »

Here's a shot of the passenger peg open

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »

My first gold mod was adding a pair of Kuryakyn flamin grips. Prior to mounting, I removed the rubber isogrip portion and took them to a detail shop and had the chrome removed and gold applied. Not sure how durable the gold will be but they turned out pretty cool. Near as I can tell they added about 2 HP per grip, torque figures did not change. Also added a Kuryakyn helmet lock end to the grip. Pay no attention to the fat guy in the mirror!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »

Next gold mod was purchasing a pair of HD flame rear turn signals and making another trip to the detail shop for a slightly more delicate operation. Mr. Gold man stripped the chrome off just the raised flame portion of each signal and golded the flame. Photo is a bit blurry bit I think you get the idea.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »

another shot of one of the turn signals. Was not thrilled with the way the post installation came out. Didn't realize the nut would be showing and that it wouldn't be a cleaner look. Part of it has to do with the turn signal relocation kit required because of the saddle bag mounting hardware and the luggage rack.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »

While out at bike week in August (rode both ways) I ordered a new Corbin dual tour saddle. Had the flame stitch pattern added and purchased one backrest. This mod was for my wife. The original passenger seat pillion isn't made for humans. She has her own bike so not sure how much use the back seat will see but I wanted the option. Turned out OK. Will be ordering another backrest pad but will mount in on an HD sissy bar for a cleaner look. Don't like the black back of the backrest, wish it were chrome or covered with leather. Something to work on over the winter.

A couple other mods here include the HD gold flames derby and inspection covers and front fender extension.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »

Another shot of the seat

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »

I like the way the flame stitching turned out although I wish it were thicker. Original medium height sissy bar and pad do not go with this seat (they look fine with the stock one however).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:22:20 AM by Buy early »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »

Throttle side controls show chrome tidbits added by second owner (cover, integrated turn signal mirrors, switch housing & pistol grips) and by me (clock, trim rings, throttle boss, chrome switch covers, and grips). Love the details!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:07:51 AM by Buy early »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

everything goes very well together and is well thought out.  I love those new pegs, bad as hell!  :2vrolijk_21: :pepper:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »

The second owner replaced the stock bars with mid sized ape hangers. Didn't like the look myself so I switched to Kuryakyn Big'uns T bars. Pleased with the change. Second owner also added the windshield. Mod required to do so included cutting off lower portion of plexiglass to fit over sport fairing. My add to this was finding a flaming plexiglass piece on e-bay for $75 and replacing the stock plexi with this. Got to do the surgery myself on the second shield. I had seen this windshield in the HD catalog but not offered for Wide Glides. Pleased with the result - although would have been nice if the flames had been gold!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »

Front shot of the windshield and the new headlamp recently installed. Much brighter at night! Wanted to go with HID system but from what I read, they can be finnicky. Will wait until more folks have experience with them. One disappointment was the black lamp cover. Many of the ones I have seen are chrome. Not a big deal but jeez, why not chrome??? Have actually thought of disassembling the headlamp and taking the lamp cover to Mr, Gold man! We'll see.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »

The original owner swapped out the stock speedo for this electronic speedo/tach combination. He also added the fuel filler flames cover (nice touch). I added the air temp guage mounted to the headbolt. Gotta love those flamin pegs, they stick out just far enough. When I did lay my bike down the peg rub nub took most of the beating.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:24:10 AM by Buy early »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 01:20:17 PM »

I benefitted greatly from both previous owners of this putt. Owner #1 upgraded the original 88 CI motor to a Screamin' Eagle 95. He put $5K in the motor alone. Owner #2, a great guy from Illinois, shared my love of chrome. He upgraded the original wheels to the HD fully polished Thunderstar wheels and upgraded the stock brake calipers to the full chrome models. Thanks Tony! My only add was the HD flame brake caliper inserts and a few chrome bolt covers. A thing of beauty even if it does constantly beg to be polished.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.