Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Faster honda goldwing or cvo breakout  (Read 15562 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Faster honda goldwing or cvo breakout
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »

Interesting phenomenon concerning the Goldwing... They've always been fairly respected among most hardcore HD guys I've known, myself included.   I think that says a lot.   I had the pleasure of riding a 2010 for a 700 mile trip.  The smooth delivery of power is very impressive.  As mentioned, the top speed seems endless. 

My biggest issue, and I can't believe it's not mentioned more, is it feels so d@mn cramped.   I tried everything, but even the highway pegs were odd, in that the placement of the power plant had my legs open like I was in a gynecologist table.   Is the wing set up on purpose for small folks?  Maybe my experience was unique... But coming off a Roadking, I couldn't believe how cramped I was... And I'm only 6 feet tall... Oh, and a lack of a 6th gear is criminal.  Your experiences may vary.

If "the top speed seems endless", why would you want another gear??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »

It is not all rosy in the non-Harley bike world. My wife has an 1800GLS trike. On our long overnighter trips I have had to break out the tools on four occasions. Three times to fix the trike, and one time pulled into the hotel and loaned them to a couple of BMW riders so that one of them could tighten his chain since the rear wheel loosened up and the chain kept falling off the sprocket. Ok. I have had to break them out a couple of other times for harley's but not mine yet on the road!

She sheared off all the drive shaft bolts ( a testament I suppose to at least enough power to do that!). It sits very low and pulling it into the toyhauler it bottomed out and tweaked radiator reservoir and leaked out coolant. This is just maintenance, but had to replace the headlight bulbs at a campground which is a pain in the butt on her bike. Replacing the front tire for the third time and it is a big pain in the butt compared to mine to do that. As a matter of fact the Honda dealers don't like working on the goldwings. They grimace when I talk to a service writer and they ask what bike and tell them a goldwing!!

Yes they are cramped. I am not 6 foot and it is too cramped for me, but works good for her.

It is a good solid drivetrain, and she keeps up with me, although I go a little slower when riding with her! ;D I recently got her a Corbin seat, and now she is willing to go farther and longer since it is more comfortable. See even the goldwings need things replaced and upgraded!!!

JakeyL.

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »

If "the top speed seems endless", why would you want another gear??

Lower your RPMs, improve "sweet spot", improve gas mileage... Don't take it from me, check out the countless bitching from wing riders on EVERY Wing forum.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »

Junk is what we call a wing in the Mountain State.  How many Japanese guys are 6' 2", 240 lbs?  There endeth the lesson.  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD

Carl Hubbard for President !

B B

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »

Lower your RPMs, improve "sweet spot", improve gas mileage... Don't take it from me, check out the countless bitching from wing riders on EVERY Wing forum.

Pretty much the same sort of bitching found on the Harley forums before they released the Cruise Drive.  Now of course we have the bitching about 6th being useless unless you're running 75 mph and up. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

Pretty much the same sort of bitching found on the Harley forums before they released the Cruise Drive.  Now of course we have the bitching about 6th being useless unless you're running 75 mph and up

Jerry
Jerry,

I may be smaller than average Harley riders (6 1" - 210 lbs) but I have had no problems using the 6th gear starting around 50+ mph on the BO or the Limited. What am I missing? (serious question - No sarcasm implied or meant).

Cam

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »

What difference does it make... don't you already have the bike you want to own/ride? :nixweiss: Reminds me of the old bull and the young bull joke and running down the hill... Sometimes the fastest isn't the best. 8) :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

At the end of the day which puts the biggest smile on your face.
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »

Jerry,

I may be smaller than average Harley riders (6 1" - 210 lbs) but I have had no problems using the 6th gear starting around 50+ mph on the BO or the Limited. What am I missing? (serious question - No sarcasm implied or meant).

Cam

Good question Cam.  Maybe some of the guys claiming they can't run in sixth at those speeds could enlighten us.  Get ready for the "lugging" BS though.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »

At the end of the day which puts the biggest smile on your face.
Exactly!!!!... and this ole bull is going to walk down the hill and... IE: enjoy the ride that is underneath him.  8) :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.