Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing Brakes...  (Read 1815 times)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
Changing Brakes...
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »

I'll need new pads and rotors sometime this year, yet wanted to ask folks about something.

Instead of replacing with stock stuff, I was wondering if there's a single disc/caliper set-up (Brembo, PM, etc) that I could use thus removing the right side caliper altogether..??

I've always liked Nite Al's look with only 1 caliper, but would prefer to use a highend, high stopping power replacement if using just one caliper.

Any thoughts.. or experience..?? I've seen some stuff after a serach, but I'm not seeing model numbers or size of brakes...

Thanks...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Changing Brakes...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »

I'll need new pads and rotors sometime this year, yet wanted to ask folks about something.

Instead of replacing with stock stuff, I was wondering if there's a single disc/caliper set-up (Brembo, PM, etc) that I could use thus removing the right side caliper altogether..??

I've always liked Nite Al's look with only 1 caliper, but would prefer to use a highend, high stopping power replacement if using just one caliper.

Any thoughts.. or experience..?? I've seen some stuff after a serach, but I'm not seeing model numbers or size of brakes...

Thanks...

PM makes a direct bolt on 6-piston Differential Bore Caliper for the front. I use them (duals) on my bike. So they have a left and right version. Damn good stopping power. But you'll still have the bosses on the fork leg you don't have anything mounted on. And you need to think about changing the Master Cyl to a single caliper bore too. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:54:50 AM »

Thanks Hoist...

Do you have a vendor you dealt with?

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »

Found what I'm looking for...

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?source=local_search&PID=242-601&cs=Harley

I talked to PM several times earlier this week. They strongly recommend you go with their Master Cyl which I think was about 350.00 but the price you found is good, it's 50 less than buying direct from PM.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »

Cool. I'll check that out...however...I may've just had a moment of clarity...

As I pondered other posts on the topic, I came across TwoLane Don's comment on an epitath stating single dics sured looked cool. Hmmm..that's got me thinking...I guess I gotta figure out what I want...

Damn he always makes me think smarter... :2vrolijk_21:

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »

Cool. I'll check that out...however...I may've just had a moment of clarity...

As I pondered other posts on the topic, I came across TwoLane Don's comment on an epitath stating single dics sured looked cool. Hmmm..that's got me thinking...I guess I gotta figure out what I want...

Damn he always makes me think smarter... :2vrolijk_21:

If I am not mistaken, you can go with the single 6 piston PM and not have to get the master cyl. :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »

phattey,

As heavy as these bikes are, I believe the extra braking capacity of a dual disk system is much more important than looks.  You may not notice much difference when you're just cruising around town, but you will see a major difference under heavy useage, like riding in hilly or mountainous terrain.  Braking is all about friction and heat dissipation, and dual disks will provide more of both.  

Think about it this way:  Considering how the MoCo loves to cheapen the product, if a single disk was a safe alternative don't you think the baggers would come that way, just like the smaller bikes?  

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

GRC - well stated...

I'm still trying to figure out my options, along with watering the money tree a little more.

As I see folks with PM, HHI, or Brembo duals with 18" wheels, the look is strong, thus maybe I'll just upgrade all the way around and just have to miss a few mortgage payments.. ;D

:cucumber:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »

You may also want to shop around, while J&P has a lot of stuff, their not usually the cheapest. I've been buying many things from the site below with good results, prices, and no shipping on all orders over $99.

Like Jerry said, stick with two, may look better with one, until you end up in someones trunk!

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/SearchResults.asp

Craig

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:50:05 PM »

I used Hog Pro for my PM brakes on the SERK. ;)

http://www.hogpro.com/showpage.php?page=main.htm

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.