Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas mileage  (Read 4221 times)

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
Gas mileage
« on: May 30, 2016, 05:58:29 AM »

I have had my deuce for going on four years. About two seasons ago I had my bike "tuned" by "the guy" at Woodstock Harley. It had awesome power, but occasional backfire and sub 30mpg. I went back a few times and asked wtf? Was told "that's how it is with that exhaust" the exhaust is a D and D 504 2-1 fat cat. I had almost stopped riding as it was using more fuel than my car.

This pre-season I did my 30k service, and to finish it off, I went back to the same dealer, $400 later on the dyno, more power and more torque, noticeably better response on the throttle.

I got rid of the family and responsibilities this past weekend, went out on a day ride, found gas mileage at 41mpg around town and 43mpg on the highway. Now that once again is the bike for me and forever.

9sec240

• best member evar!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.HPisKing.com
    • IL

• CVO1: '16 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Re: Gas mileage
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:10:18 AM »

Did 140 miles yesterday.  I ride hard and fast.  Was doing 70 to 85 MPH almost the whole way.  Into a heavy wind on the way there and with it on the way back.  Got 36.6 MPG on the trip with the 117ci motor just singing the whole way.  Dan at Fox River HD did my install and tune.  I am very pleased with it.
Ivan

2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout 117ci SE Street-Performance kit
2011 V-Rod Night Rod Special

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Gas mileage
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »

I have had my deuce for going on four years. About two seasons ago I had my bike "tuned" by "the guy" at Woodstock Harley. It had awesome power, but occasional backfire and sub 30mpg. I went back a few times and asked wtf? Was told "that's how it is with that exhaust" the exhaust is a D and D 504 2-1 fat cat. I had almost stopped riding as it was using more fuel than my car.

This pre-season I did my 30k service, and to finish it off, I went back to the same dealer, $400 later on the dyno, more power and more torque, noticeably better response on the throttle.

I got rid of the family and responsibilities this past weekend, went out on a day ride, found gas mileage at 41mpg around town and 43mpg on the highway. Now that once again is the bike for me and forever.

Your experience has been all to common over the years, thanks to incompetent people passing themselves off as tuners.  I often tell people to never assume some guy at a Harley dealership is a truly qualified and competent tuner.  Many Harley dealers invested in a dyno back in the 90's and early 00's to take advantage of the big interest in performance upgrades.  Sadly, most did not invest in fully qualified and competent people to use those dynos, or they did initially but that person moved on and the dealer just told the regular mechanics to jump in and handle it.  It's not uncommon to see a dealer send one guy to school on the dynojet, then expect that guy to train the rest of the employees.  Just because he was trained on how to operate the dyno doesn't mean he is also a fully competent tuner.  There are lots of dyno operators who are not competent tuners.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 24 queries.