Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189494 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #825 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

No pictures of anything.  Just a good day on the bike.

Had to be out today so took this one.  A quick 450 miles out and back.  This bike is smooth.  Best handling of the three here.  Almost enough to make me consider taking the other two completely apart and hand building them for winter projects.

Was on some crooked two lanes on the way home.  The Aven Venoms are great.  Not a wiggle or a shimmy anywhere.  Little engine is smooth and surprisingly responsive so long as you use the gears well.  It's just a fun fun bike to ride. 

Nearly 1400 miles on the bike (I think that's right) since it started and ran the first time.  I know, that's not a lot when the year is already 1/3rd over.  But the bikes each have to take turns.  And this was the Road King's first time more than an hour away from the house.

Only issue is the saddle.  As much as I love the Corbin dual tours this Corbin solo is not my best friend.  A little narrow.  Pushes up on the butt out close to the hip bones just a bit.  Sits a bit farther back than I'd like (though that's not too bad) and it's too darned low.  Knees are pointing uphill even with the boards mounted in the lowest holes.

Even with the complaints the seat isn't really terrible.  It's an ok three tank saddle.  I'd hate to do a five or six tank day on it though.  Wouldn't be fun the next morning. 

The bike is awesome though.  Handles and runs very very well.  Will mess with a different saddle someday sooner rather than too much later and it'll all be good.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #826 on: April 18, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

Where's the pic of your new chrome???
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #827 on: April 18, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

No pictures of anything.  Just a good day on the bike.

Had to be out today so took this one.  A quick 450 miles out and back.  This bike is smooth.  Best handling of the three here.  Almost enough to make me consider taking the other two completely apart and hand building them for winter projects.

Was on some crooked two lanes on the way home.  The Aven Venoms are great.  Not a wiggle or a shimmy anywhere.  Little engine is smooth and surprisingly responsive so long as you use the gears well.  It's just a fun fun bike to ride. 

Nearly 1400 miles on the bike (I think that's right) since it started and ran the first time.  I know, that's not a lot when the year is already 1/3rd over.  But the bikes each have to take turns.  And this was the Road King's first time more than an hour away from the house.

Only issue is the saddle.  As much as I love the Corbin dual tours this Corbin solo is not my best friend.  A little narrow.  Pushes up on the butt out close to the hip bones just a bit.  Sits a bit farther back than I'd like (though that's not too bad) and it's too darned low.  Knees are pointing uphill even with the boards mounted in the lowest holes.

Even with the complaints the seat isn't really terrible.  It's an ok three tank saddle.  I'd hate to do a five or six tank day on it though.  Wouldn't be fun the next morning. 

The bike is awesome though.  Handles and runs very very well.  Will mess with a different saddle someday sooner rather than too much later and it'll all be good.

Don

When I come down in May you can give the C&C solo a spin. FWIW.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #828 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »

Where's the pic of your new chrome???

Oh chit!  Wait one.....

Ok, got it.  Quicky crappy cell phone pic but it's there.

One bit of difference/weirdness with this one compared to the other two.  This set of Fatcats included a pair of spacers to go between the muffler and the hanger bracket.  The muffer is exactly the same as the other two.  So the difference is in the headpipe.  But the spacers need to be there to make everything line up well.

Putting the approximately 1" spacers between the muffler and the new cover while sliding the cover under the hanger was an impossible pain in the ass.  No way to keep the spacers in place and no room to get fingers inside the cover to hold the spacers.  So said "screw it" after about 90 seconds and JB Welded the spacers to the muffler.  That made installation easy.

The look is slightly different though.  The cover is now raised more from the muffler than it is on the other bikes.  It's not a difference that effects anything or looks bad.  Nor is it even a difference you'd notice if another wasn't sitting next to it for comparison.  On this one the cover is just raised up a bit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #829 on: April 18, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »

Don

When I come down in May you can give the C&C solo a spin. FWIW.

I would love to do that.  C&C was almost my purchased option for this one a couple of times.  Just never p ulled the trigger.  Then got a chance to score this Corbin solo with the backrest and V-rail for $250.  That was too cheap not to try.  A narrower/skinnier ass than mine might be ok.  As might legs shorter than mine.  But I'm already pretty damn short.  So not sure what kind of freak they're building this saddle for.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #830 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »

Oh chit!  Wait one.....

Ok, got it.  Quicky crappy cell phone pic but it's there.

One bit of difference/weirdness with this one compared to the other two.  This set of Fatcats included a pair of spacers to go between the muffler and the hanger bracket.  The muffer is exactly the same as the other two.  So the difference is in the headpipe.  But the spacers need to be there to make everything line up well.

Putting the approximately 1" spacers between the muffler and the new cover while sliding the cover under the hanger was an impossible pain in the ass.  No way to keep the spacers in place and no room to get fingers inside the cover to hold the spacers.  So said "screw it" after about 90 seconds and JB Welded the spacers to the muffler.  That made installation easy.

The look is slightly different though.  The cover is now raised more from the muffler than it is on the other bikes.  It's not a difference that effects anything or looks bad.  Nor is it even a difference you'd notice if another wasn't sitting next to it for comparison.  On this one the cover is just raised up a bit.

Don, you must be sucking on mikeytee berry juice tonight!  The spacers go on top of the chrome cover, it will look much better.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #831 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »

Don, you must be sucking on mikeytee berry juice tonight!  The spacers go on top of the chrome cover, it will look much better.

Tried them that way just laid in place.  Did it before sticking them to the muffler.  There was an issue.....

The spacers are black.  Everything else is red or chrome.  I hated the black spots sticking out against the bright chrome and the red background.  So I hid the little phukkers under the cover :huepfenlol2: .

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #832 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

Tried them that way just laid in place.  Did it before sticking them to the muffler.  There was an issue.....

The spacers are black.  Everything else is red or chrome.  I hated the black spots sticking out against the bright chrome and the red background.  So I hid the little phukkers under the cover :huepfenlol2: .

Well then I vote you send the spacers out for chrome or powder coat, problem solved!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #833 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

Well then I vote you send the spacers out for chrome or powder coat, problem solved!
Did you read right over the part about the JBWeld?  I agree it is what he's got to do for it to look like he wants it to, but that JBWeld is whatacall 'permanent-affixation'!!!  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #834 on: April 18, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »

That's a task to be done.  Already picked up some more spacer stock.  On top of the chrome cover the spacers will look better chromed.  That'd be an odd spot for punctuation of red.  Just waiting until have some other parts to send to ChromeMasters and will do a few at once.

By the way, thanks again for the cover; and the brake pedal.  Brian's saddlebag supports and a few other pieces I can't think of right now that were so generously tossed in or discounted as this project progressed was very very nice and very appreciated.  Coupled with the interest of so many as this thing moved along the whole project was even more fun.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #835 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

Did you read right over the part about the JBWeld?  I agree it is what he's got to do for it to look like he wants it to, but that JBWeld is whatacall 'permanent-affixation'!!!  :nervous: spyder

That's what the package says.  But it'll come apart.  Been there and done that a few times.  Only used a tiny bit; not full surface.  A good sharp blow from the side should do the trick when the time comes.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

« Reply #836 on: April 18, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »

That's a task to be done.  Already picked up some more spacer stock.  On top of the chrome cover the spacers will look better chromed.  That'd be an odd spot for punctuation of red.  Just waiting until have some other parts to send to ChromeMasters and will do a few at once.

By the way, thanks again for the cover; and the brake pedal.  Brian's saddlebag supports and a few other pieces I can't think of right now that were so generously tossed in or discounted as this project progressed was very very nice and very appreciated.  Coupled with the interest of so many as this thing moved along the whole project was even more fun.

Just bring her to MV so we can all enjoy!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #837 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »

Just bring her to MV so we can all enjoy!

That I'd love to do.  Especially if the saddle is different by then.  This bike likes the road.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #838 on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »

That I'd love to do.  Especially if the saddle is different by then.  This bike likes the road.
Another reason to make MV this year.  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #839 on: April 19, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »

I'll be sure to ride "Ruby" down to see her sister if you do!

JW
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.