Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189490 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #855 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »

The solo seat on the left looks like it sits you a mile back.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #856 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »

You can try to reduce the size of your ass? :-)

Kidding aside, I believe Mustang makes a close solo that is much wider than the Corbin you might consider as an alternate.  They may even make a heated version, haven't checked.

Ass reduction is hard!

I'd (only quickly) looked at the Mustangs Pete.  Will look again.  But for $125 for the first seat and $100 for this one it's been worth a little experimenting.  Having the first one in hand did mean getting the bike ride-able when it was all being buttoned up.  It was to me an uncomfortable seat.  But it worked.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #857 on: July 13, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »

The solo seat on the left looks like it sits you a mile back.

That was the huge surprise to me when I first put it on the bike Bob.  Have had many of their Dual Tour seats and mistakenly assumed their classic solo saddles would be something like a solo version of the dual tours.  Based on nothing more than general appearance.  It was a badly mistaken assumption.

Sits a lot farther back and a lot lower.  Really sculpted out pocket.  Knees are actually pointing uphill.  Some may like it fine.  Not me.

This "close solo" has the front/back position about the same as the dual tour.  It's higher than the standard solo also.  If the saddle being narrower than I'm used to on the dual tours can be gotten used to the rest will be ok.  Since it's flatter so the sides don't literally come up beneath the hips and thighs it's got to be better.

Someone with a different shaped ass and different length legs will like the other saddle just fine.  For me it came from Torquemada Enterprises.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #858 on: July 13, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

Oh, much better Don.  I like the looks of that seat on that scooter.  Wonder what it would look like w/o the seat rail now that it's moved up so much?  After getting use to it, you could have them recover with some of your custom colored leather?  It never ends.  ;D har. spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #859 on: July 13, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »

Oh, much better Don.  I like the looks of that seat on that scooter.  Wonder what it would look like w/o the seat rail now that it's moved up so much?  After getting use to it, you could have them recover with some of your custom colored leather?  It never ends.  ;D har. spyder

I tried it with and without the rail Spyder.  First impression is that I prefer the look with the rail when the backrest is on.  If the backrest isn't on I preferred the look without the rail.  But.....  since I'm not riding farther than the local diner without the backrest.....

The rail and backrest didn't come with this new-to-me saddle.  Transplants from the other one.  Just moving pieces back and forth until get final look sorted out.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #860 on: July 13, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »

I tried it with and without the rail Spyder.  First impression is that I prefer the look with the rail when the backrest is on.  If the backrest isn't on I preferred the look without the rail.  But.....  since I'm not riding farther than the local diner without the backrest.....

The rail and backrest didn't come with this new-to-me saddle.  Transplants from the other one.  Just moving pieces back and forth until get final look sorted out.
Just very good that the seat had the backrest receptical as I think some don't.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #861 on: July 13, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »

Just very good that the seat had the backrest receptical as I think some don't.  ;) spyder

I know some of the dual tour Corbins that are ordered specifically as "with tour pak" don't have the rear mount position for their backrest.  I think all the "classic solo" and "classic close solo" versions come with the mount.  But couldn't swear to it.  Just haven't seen any that did not.  Saw the hole in this one though so knew was good to go.  Old guys need backrests....  :drink:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #862 on: July 13, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

Old guys need backrests....  :drink:
I try to not leave home w/o one (on either bike). :2thumbsup:  har. spyder

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #863 on: July 13, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »

Just the opposite problem for me.  The dual tour pushed me too far forward and the classic solo has me in the same position as my old stinger solo, which is where I like it, so I just sold the stinger.

I also like the little extra padding the heated version provides.  Old guys need heat too!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #864 on: July 13, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »

Just the opposite problem for me.  The dual tour pushed me too far forward and the classic solo has me in the same position as my old stinger solo, which is where I like it, so I just sold the stinger.

I also like the little extra padding the heated version provides.  Old guys need heat too!

Amen to that Pete.  I use the low setting more and more in weather in the 50s and below.  Just to keep a bit less stiff.  It may all be in my head.  But my rear end and upper thighs feel better for it.

I'm short legged so the seating position pushed back wasn't great.  It would've worked if there'd not been alternatives.  But for me just wasn't dialed in.  Actually liked the super low seating pocket less than the longer reach though.

Took this one out for a short ride early this morning.  Just 45 minutes or so.  It is an improvement for me compared to the other.  It won't be an all day six-tank-full panacea.  But first impression suggests it'll be good for local weekend rides and repetitive 400-500 mile days.  So am pleased had the cheap opportunity to make the swap.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #865 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

I know, no one else cares about the smaller details of this project (especially now, if ever).  But it's the project's informal history.  So a bit more here just so I've got it all in one place.

Thought more on Spyder's suggestion.  The V-Rail looked ok.  Wasn't sure if it looked better or was just what I'd got used to seeing.  Did a couple of back-and-forths early this morning.  Actually think I prefer it without the V-Rail on this saddle.  The lines flow front to back better without the rail.

It might be a draw.  But I think preference is without the rail.  Even if it's a draw, however, I'd go without it.  The rail is a bit of a hazard when opening the saddlebags.  Have to be careful not to raise the lid and bang the lip off the rail.  So now one less hazard.  Here is the same new-to-me seat with and without the V-Rail.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #866 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

Took the button heads out of the rail mount locations and used 12 point so the saddle matches the rest of the bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #867 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »

And, of course, took the mounting hardware to the bead blast cabinet then primed and made them same red as all the other bits.  Just because they're hidden doesn't mean they're not red!

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #868 on: July 13, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »

Don, your attention to detail is impeccable.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #869 on: July 13, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

You could probably use an insulating "boot" on the positive battery cable connection.  That's also red!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 73

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.