Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189561 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2010, 01:23:38 AM »

There has been slow progress on this project.  Not much the last month or so.  Bits and pieces still being collected though.  Little box was here when I got back this evening that let the dash came some assembly.  Got the ignition switch and trim ring and some other dash bits.  Still haven't picked a speedo/tach unit yet.  But it's narrowed down.

Used the ignition switch and trim ring from an 07 to better complement the 02 CVO dash.  Nothing dramatic.  Just a subtle improvement.  The switch is keyed the same as the SERG and SEEG so still just one key chain for any of them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 01:25:23 AM »

Only other subassembly that got completed lately was the calipers.  Parts back from chrome shop and powder coat to make Brembo calipers with nice dark red shields.  Again nothing dramatic.  Just some details as it goes along.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 07:43:03 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »

There has been slow progress on this project.  Not much the last month or so.  Bits and pieces still being collected though.  Little box was here when I got back this evening that let the dash came some assembly.  Got the ignition switch and trim ring and some other dash bits.  Still haven't picked a speedo/tach unit yet.  But it's narrowed down.

Used the ignition switch and trim ring from an 07 to better complement the 02 CVO dash.  Nothing dramatic.  Just a subtle improvement.  The switch is keyed the same as the SERG and SEEG so still just one key chain for any of them.

when my dash was replaced they didnt have the insert (back order) i never bothered puting it on
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »

when my dash was replaced they didnt have the insert (back order) i never bothered puting it on

Order one!  You need it.  Do you really want to take the chance of getting hit by a bus without ever having put on the ignition switch trim?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »

its a theft deterent system.  without the label noone knows which way to turn the key  :huepfenjump3:
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »

its a theft deterent system.  without the label noone knows which way to turn the key  :huepfenjump3:

ohhhhhhhhh, passive security :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »

Had a PM this evening asking how this was coming.  Needing only the smallest of reasons to say anything about it this seemed an ideal excuse.

Not everything is back yet.  But almost everything is decided.  And that is actually a real step forward.

There was some issue with the powder coater in Kansas City.  The shop was honestly trying hard.  I can't damn their diligence.  But something about the metallic candy red flake and its clear busted their butt.  Parts would come out mismatched after curing.  Big parts would vary within the part.  Eventually we shook hands with their blessing and I moved on. 

This worked out however.  In the interim a small coatings shop had opened up here at the edge of town that quickly picked up a good reputation.  They shot a couple of test parts for me and all is good.  Dealing with a different powder supplier I even like this finished color slightly better in its complement to the dark red in the bike.  Still a metallic candy red with a clear.  I think it'll look very nice when done.

Motor mount brackets and a few other small parts that are in line of sight have been back from the chromer for awhile now.  Everything will be home from the powder coaters in a couple weeks (my schedule not theirs actually).  Powder shop has the frame, swingarm, footboard brackets, footboards, battery box, coil bracket, the grills on the Brembo calipers, tranny top cover and oil line cover, the triple trees, neck air deflector and a few other small bits I'm not thinking of.  They're charging $450 for all of it.  So it's a steal.

They also have a set of legs.  Had an old natural pair that could be guinea pigs.  Still not sure if the legs will end up being chrome or color when the final assembly is done.  I can go either with the parts I'll have here.  They'll surround a fat spoke chrome wheel.  Am thinking the colored legs will be a good complement.  But just not sure yet.

Doing the tranny top cover and oil line cover the vertical tranny shift levers all for the same reason.  To avoid powder coating the actual drive train; or even the top end.  There will be enough of the color elsewhere, and enough chrome breaking it up that I'll want the natural engine and tranny to complement it and break it up a little.  But will bring in just a bit of color to the drive train with those covers.

Finally decided for sure what how I'll do the engine.  After discovering it had been run with a bad lifter and inner cam bearing there was no question of using the cases as they were.  A new set from Harley with stock bore and without the Timken bearing was about 2/3rds of what I was able to score a set of S&S cases for.  Gaining the 4 1/8 bore and the Timken bearing for only about $400 difference on new cases was a no brainer.

The engine will be a short stroke 107.  In a way the mirror image of the stroked 107 in the red bike. 

This one will be the 4.125 bore with an 88" crank that's been worked.  Going with a 50mm throttle body.  Axtell and Rev Performance (and probably others) describe what should be good jugs for this build.  Will set it up at about 10.25:1 so can avoid compression releases on anything but the hottest of days and probably go with Mackie's 598 cam again.

The early low end torque might be just a bit behind what the similar build in the red bike does.  But this one should wrap up a little quicker.  Since this will be more a play bike than a travel bike that's actually the goal here.  Still expect it to be well in to the one-teens and to get there quickly.  With no tour pak, solo saddle and no fairing/radio/etc the power to weight will be so much better on this bike than it is on the red bike it'll still feel very quick in comparison.

The engine and main harness had both been hacked on a bit in the bike's lifetime.  Nothing that was unrepairable.  But it wasn't pretty.  Used that as an excuse to move forward a bit.  Dumped the 02 harness for the 04-05 harness.  It allows some speedometer options wouldn't have had otherwise.  Will also use an 05 ECM so can add oxygen sensors and monitoring if I decide to.  Scored the top engine harness on eBay brand new for $35 and happened to have a good main harness already.  So this was a cheap upgrade. 

After some equivocation on my part finally decided on the Dakota Digital speedo also. But the new one.  The old one was just too ugly; no matter how much one liked the functions it added.  They've got a new that's much better though.  And it's available with a red display.  Mated next to the red LEDs in the flush mounted gas gauge of the 07 SERKs it'll be a very complementary combination both to each other and to the bike.

Already mentioned the 08 and newer Brembo brakes for the front.  Got the 07-08 SERKs ignition switch and ignition switch trim ring with their CVO markings on them.  There's no doubt much other detail I'm not thinking of now.  But that's all the broad view of what the bike will be. 

With a little luck the assembly will still be a winter project.  If time doesn't allow completing the motor the intent is to make it complete roller anyway.  If for no other reason than to get all the parts in one place.  Am keeping my finger crossed that will hear it run by spring though.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »

Sounds like the plan is coming together nicely. Sweet mods!

Hope to come down and see her as the build progresses.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »

If nothing else, you've made me very jealous of your project.     :2vrolijk_21:

I really like your thoughts towards your motor!  

I've not done a frame up build for about 15 years, but I am looking for a winter project.  I'm heading to Davenport, Iowa next weekend to attend the annual Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet and flat track races.  I'm hoping to find a decent 40 something that is basically the correct frame, motor and transmission - and the rest doesn't really matter - for the right price.  I'm not set on buying something, but I am going wanting to buy something.  If not, I'll look for something else to make a project out of.  Maybe a 90's FXR that is screaming for a rebuild.   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »

Sounds like the plan is coming together nicely. Sweet mods!

Hope to come down and see her as the build progresses.

JW

Sounds like a great idea.   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »

If nothing else, you've made me very jealous of your project.     :2vrolijk_21:

I really like your thoughts towards your motor!  

I've not done a frame up build for about 15 years, but I am looking for a winter project.  I'm heading to Davenport, Iowa next weekend to attend the annual Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet and flat track races.  I'm hoping to find a decent 40 something that is basically the correct frame, motor and transmission - and the rest doesn't really matter - for the right price.  I'm not set on buying something, but I am going wanting to buy something.  If not, I'll look for something else to make a project out of.  Maybe a 90's FXR that is screaming for a rebuild.   :nixweiss:

Got help on my lap right now.  Niece had a bad dream.  Weird typing position.

It's been a fun project Scott.  A long one now.  But I enjoy both the process and the hands-on assembly.  Different kinds of fun but enjoy it all.

Enough pieces around now finally starting to feel a real itch to put something together though.  Hadn't had that until recently.  Scratching that itch is what may push the entire thing through to completion this winter sometime.  Not going to cut any corners to get it done though.  The process has gone too well and final product too close to my vision of what I want it to be for that to happen.  Patience won't be hard when the alternative might be a mistake.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »

Someone had to say it!

:worthless:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »

Someone had to say it!

SBB

Other than boxes of pieces waiting for something to do nothing fun to show yet.  When the frame and other bits get back from powder soon will get it.  I already know what the very first installed part will be too.  The o-ring on the brake lever stud! (want to start off easy :huepfenlol2: )
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 73

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.