Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189433 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

I honestly believe that an RG would drift irregardless of what you put on it for wheels. That fairing is one big sail and with a king tour-pak on the back , that's a lot of surface area to catch the wind.

B B

Amen to that buddy.  Can hop on off the SEEG to the SERG on the same day in the same winds and the difference is always noticed.  It's even more apparent as the SEEG almost never has a tour pak on it.  Just the two Corbin backrests.  The SERG almost always has the king Tour Pak so that Parker's big Corbin backrest is there.  Keep that bike configured for the kid to ride.  So it's a striking difference between the two.

In other ways besides just reaction to environmentals too.  In many ways the same bikes on the same frames.  But that Road Glide fairing makes so much difference in the "feel" of the bike.  Everything feels bigger and so much more spacious.  I dig the differences and the way they can be used. 

Eventually getting the SERK project in the mix with just its windshield will be a mix that's even more fun and varied.  Only a solo saddle, no tour pak, just the windscreen up front.  Though again a very similary bike to the others it'll weigh a lot less and feel like a real little hot rod cruiser after hopping off one of the others.  I must really be easy to be made happy that easily :2vrolijk_21: .

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »

I don't know Don, "twos company and threes a crowd"..   Hope all 3 women (bikes) get along..    :cherry:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »

2000 Screamin Eagle Road Glide - - - The 1st year H-D actually used the CVO designation
2002 Screamin Eagle Road King - - -  Candy Brandywine, other than the early FXR 2's, the rarest of rare
2005 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide - -Arguably the prettiest paint scheme of all the CVO's

It's like having a three beautiful women in love with you - - how do you pick which one to take on a date ?

If I could rewrite history, I'd have my 2000 B/W/O SERG and Elvis with one on each coast and live happily ever after.

B B

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »

Just caught up on this thread Don. looks like a real fun project. Wish I had the mechanical skills to deal with a bike from the ground up. Love the color! Looking forward to watching as it comes together!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »

Just caught up on this thread Don. looks like a real fun project. Wish I had the mechanical skills to deal with a bike from the ground up. Love the color! Looking forward to watching as it comes together!

Thanks Mark.  The little surprises keep it as interesting for me as it was at the beginning too.  Just this morning stumbled on a piece of shift linkage with dark red crystals in it.  Might look good complementing the Iron Glass saddlebag latch inserts.  Parts is fun..... 8)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »

You never know til you try. I learned by taking apart perfectly good motorcycles during the long cold winters in Maine and putting them back together again. Sounds stupid, but if you've lived through a Maine winter you know that anything that keeps you sane isn't stupid.

B B

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »

The bikes look awesome...Love that Red! Just be glad that you live in area where they work on those types of bikes. Believe it or not here in EL Paso, TX they haven't worked on CVO's to much. I mean from painting to servicing...
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »

The bikes look awesome...Love that Red! Just be glad that you live in area where they work on those types of bikes. Believe it or not here in EL Paso, TX they haven't worked on CVO's to much. I mean from painting to servicing...

Won't be any "they" on the work for this project.  Would take a lot of the fun out of it letting someone else do some or all of the work :smash: .

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »

Is there a chart that would show the increased speed of the motor?  The faster "spoool up"  Is what i am looking for.

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »

Anything new to share?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »

Anything new to share?

Not much Jeff.  At least nothing that's not just undramatic detail to be sorted before any final assembly so assembly itself can go smoothly. 

While the weather was crap a couple weeks ago did grab the harnesses to check and rework a bit.  Have 04-05 harnesses I'm using to allow some greater options in speedo use and function, fuel gauges and use of the EMS tuning product for engine management.  Made some minor tweaks for a few small things like building and integrating the subharness for the extra functions that will be part of the Dakota Digital speedo.  But it's all tied in now.  Neatly and correctly with new Deutsch connectors to make all the new pieces as easy to maintain and service later as any of the stock stuff.

Just this weekend assembled the handlebars.  Wild 1 mini apes stuffed with the stock controls, Heat Demon heaters with control on the right and an auxilary switch bank populated with three switches on the left. 

Going to use the new switches to control a set of Headwinds flamed Mariah spotlights that hang on one of those cool Headwinds light mount bars that hide everything on the bottom of the tree.  Other lights will be the HD branded auxiliary lights, those oblong oval shaped spot/fog lights they offer.  They'll be mounted on a Lindby front bars with the wires inside the bars.  Did it before on an prior Road King and it's a look I personally really like.

That's only the top two of the three new switches though.  No idea what the third will do yet.  But didn't want to leave the hole unpopulated  (visual symmetry) and didn't want to know pull the wire in the bars while everything else was getting stuffed.

Unexpectedly had to extend the OE harnesses.  So that was some tedious general rebuilding I hadn't anticipated.  But it's all inside the bars.  Cruise switches and lights updated to the 04 and up style, heat installed and all the new switches terminated in a six pin Deutsch connector so can easily mate  to the new subharness that will come from the lights.  Even grabbed the 08 and up Brembo master cylinder and clutch out of the pile and got them all attached to the bars.  So they're as done as they can be until eventually adjusted for comfort on the bike itself.

Whole thing is still just a large collection of parts though.  Still have to build an engine.  Even know what it's going to be (pretty much).  Just haven't had time to do anything with it.  Still have to build the tranny too.  But sticking a gear set in a case hardly counts as a "build" so not too worried about that.

Just to see a roller may yet this spring assemble the engine bottom end (that much of it is here) and the tranny case and hang them in the frame.  That way the ass end could hang off the transmission and ride heights could be established.

Parts is fun though.  So I'm not complaining.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

So when done you'll have a 2000 SERG, a 2002 SERK and a 2005 SEEG. What's next ? FXR3 ? Switchblade ? Deuce ? Nothing newer than the 05 I'm sure.

Nice start to a well rounded CVO collection I'd say  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Kudos on doing all your own work, even if I do feel left out  :'(

B B

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

sounds like its gonna be more franken-serk then mine
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

sounds like its gonna be more franken-serk then mine

It's going to be the SERK it would have become after I'd owned it two or three years.  Difference here is that this bike will actually start that way.  In the end it'll have been a lit cheaper doing it this way than reworking an existing bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

So when done you'll have a 2000 SERG, a 2002 SERK and a 2005 SEEG. What's next ? FXR3 ? Switchblade ? Deuce ? Nothing newer than the 05 I'm sure.

Nice start to a well rounded CVO collection I'd say  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Kudos on doing all your own work, even if I do feel left out  :'(

B B

Not unexpectedly it's taking longer than planned anyway Brian.  Still haven't had time to build an engine.  The Road King will be the closest thing to a local hopper in the stable.  But it'll still be a road bike.  If I got really interested in adding anything else it'd likely be the red FXR2.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:29:18 AM by Twolanerider »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 73

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 21 queries.