Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189581 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »

It's a thing of beauty, joy, and functionality Don!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :apple:  Now get her done so some of us can come by sometime and get some bug juice on the front of her!  :drink:

Thanks Joe.  Was walking across the shop about 20 minutes with hands loaded with tools and passed by the frame.  Ten minutes later was still standing there with hands full as the mind wandered to all the different things that were going to happen to it someday :drink: .

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »

I thought so too Spyder.  While messing with and otherwise fondling the powdered parts last night discovered a piece to get redone though.  Had missed it previously but one of the nacelle halves has something in the powder; right on top.  Miss it unless it's in the right light.  But assembled on the bike it'd be in plain view and would bug me.  Still have about a pound of the powder though. 

One rocker box top also had a tiny tiny flaw that would be between the cylinders when assembled.  Was going to easily live with that.  But while do-over on the nacelle is done think I'll have them get both parts.

Don how is he going to remove the Powder Coat?  Most of the guys I have dealt with put the parts in a burn off oven, any fear of warpage?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »

Don how is he going to remove the Powder Coat?  Most of the guys I have dealt with put the parts in a burn off oven, any fear of warpage?
:oops:
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »

We've talked about that before.  He said on thicker pieces they'll bake to soften them up.  On thinner parts it's a slow media blast process.  I don't remember what he said they used for media as it's been awhile since we had this discussion. 

For fear of any negative impacts at all they didn't bake the frame to get the black powder coat off.  It was media blasted.  I'd already cleaned up the welds on the frame before taking it to them.  The media blasting did a wonderful job of improving all the edges though.  It was a slight but positively noticeable difference.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »

I guess with powdercoating, it doesn't matter whether or not you leave a 'tooth' like with sand instead of bead blasting.  I know that we'd prefer that finish when painting frames back in the day...or course, you better get some primer on it right now or your gonna have a 'rust' problem.  Ahhh, the new technologies involved in building bikes...far superior. :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »

I guess with powdercoating, it doesn't matter whether or not you leave a 'tooth' like with sand instead of bead blasting.  I know that we'd prefer that finish when painting frames back in the day...or course, you better get some primer on it right now or your gonna have a 'rust' problem.  Ahhh, the new technologies involved in building bikes...far superior. :2vrolijk_21:  spyder

This powder coater seems to really know his stuff.  This particular color is a two stage.  The color is called metallic burgundy (or something close to that) with a clear powder coat on top.  It shines like a good paint job and it has a real look of depth to it.  To my eye the frame is a far better looking appearance than the painted frames Harley gave us on the second generation SERKs.

Absolutely can not complain anything the powder shop has done.  They're local, right here in town.  And the prices they've charged seem to me very reasonable.  They stripped the frame and did it and a ton of other smaller parts.  Their charges including the costs of materials has been only $575.

Not sure I can think of all the parts they've done.  Couple of air cleaner covers (spare), horn cover, the three pieces of a Bushtec hitch, nacelles and headlight ring, rocker covers, cam cover, all the tranny covers, swingarm, a boat load of brackets and no doubt several other parts I'm not thinking of now.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2011, 01:23:12 AM »

Couple of air cleaner covers (spare), horn cover, the three pieces of a Bushtec hitch, nacelles and headlight ring, rocker covers, cam cover, all the tranny covers, swingarm, a boat load of brackets and no doubt several other parts I'm not thinking of now.

Ok I have been following this thread and towards the beginning I thought you said no trailer hitch on this bike, something change? Nice job so far by the way!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

Ok I have been following this thread and towards the beginning I thought you said no trailer hitch on this bike, something change? Nice job so far by the way!!!

Early on I was of the mind that the bike was and would be only a local cruiser.  Maybe a weekender at best. 

But the trailer is here.  The Bushtec hitch is so well hidden, especially when powder coated to match its surroundings, that upon just a little reflection it seemed obvious I was short changing the bike and myself by not allowing it at least the option of hooking up to the trailer also.  The bike's and trailer's colors will match.  Just wasn't a good reason not to add the hitch.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

Like a kid in a brandywine candy store.  :apple: har  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »

Just finish putting something else together before heading out on a little dinner ride.  Red legs with Progressive Monotubes installed.  

The suspension had been installed in chrome legs before I decided to go red down there.  It's still all new guts though.  The splash of chrome between the red legs and red nacelle will be the Yafterburner chrome slider covers (someday).

(crappy cell phone pic)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:43:44 PM by Twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »

This 'splains how I lucked out to get those chromed lower legs....which I'm gonna definitely need now.  I like the powdercoated ones (I think, the pic is so bad that they look black to my ole eyes).  har. Ride safe on the dinner cruise.   :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »

This 'splains how I lucked out to get those chromed lower legs....which I'm gonna definitely need now.  I like the powdercoated ones (I think, the pic is so bad that they look black to my ole eyes).  har. Ride safe on the dinner cruise.   :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Definitely a bad pic.  The powder is the same red as all the other parts.  Will replace later with a better image. 

And you are right sir.  That is precisely how those new chrome legs ended up without a home.  You'd started your parts pile for the rebuild and didn't even know it :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »

the pic is so bad that they look black to my ole eyes). 

Here ya go Spyder.  Just dl'd the camera.  Much better looking now :drink: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »

Oh yeah!!!  :cherry: spyder

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »

Don

If ya get confused on where all the parts go, I'll slide by with Ruby next time I down visiting with my daughter. This is a quick reminder of what the "stock" 02 looks like in Manes, Mo. not far from your neck of the woods.

JW
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.