Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189419 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

That seat's going to look great! Maybe a small bar & shield outline in burgandy in that upper seat area?

I'd had two thoughts.  One (and liked less and less the more I thought about it) was a Screamin Eagle head stitched in that somewhat vertical area at the rear of the seat base.  In a burgundy and complementing shades.  The other is much like you're suggesting.  A bar and shield in a burgundy with a very thin outline of a brighter red color to tie the other colors of the bike to the seat a bit.  Maybe in the middle of the bar stitch Road King.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »

I'd had two thoughts.  One (and liked less and less the more I thought about it) was a Screamin Eagle head stitched in that somewhat vertical area at the rear of the seat base.  In a burgundy and complementing shades.  The other is much like you're suggesting.  A bar and shield in a burgundy with a very thin outline of a brighter red color to tie the other colors of the bike to the seat a bit.  Maybe in the middle of the bar stitch Road King[/i].

That'd look sweet!

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »

That'd look sweet!

JW

Am strongly leaning toward doing that.  Nice and simple.  Would look like it was intended to be there.  Be a nice complementary addition without overshadowing or detracting from the rest of the bike writ large.  That's the goal; a nice overall look with no one thing that dramatically suffers next to anything else.  Want it all to work together.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »

Since eagles are a protected species of bird, better give the eagle at least a mask for those occasions when a significant difference in pressure between the internal bodily plumbing and atmospheric pressures occur. Normally after favorite items like draft beers with excessive CO2, beans, especially re-fried (why can't they fried right the first time?), certain sausages, TexMex cuisine, etc. Oh, not to forget post-colonosopy differential pressures as well. Just sayin.

OK just plain old farts in any other language.  :vr :toilet:olijk27:

:drink:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »

Since eagles are a protected species of bird, better give the eagle at least a mask for those occasions when a significant difference in pressure between the internal bodily plumbing and atmospheric pressures occur. Normally after favorite items like draft beers with excessive CO2, beans, especially re-fried (why can't they fried right the first time?), certain sausages, TexMex cuisine, etc. Oh, not to forget post-colonosopy differential pressures as well. Just sayin.

OK just plain old farts in any other language.  :vr :toilet:olijk27:

Exactly.  And I completely agree.  At least I think I do. I'd know for sure if I knew.  Also....

Hey Joe, if I remember right you've got the Kuryakyn gas cap and gauge on yours.  I had those on my last Road King and always liked the look.  Anymore they're almost "old school" which is a nice touch for this red bike project.  They do look good installed in the tank.  But I digress.....

On my Road King the gas cap would leak fuel if you got the tank very very full.  Years ago when those caps were first released it was a "problem" they were "working on."  I stopped doing the last squeeze at the gas pump and mostly forgot about it.  With these new pieces in the red tank now wondering if they still do that.  Does yours leak?

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »

No leaks on the digital "K" gas gauge at all. Nor the battery indicator   :huepfenjump3: Of course hard to see electrons flowing with the naked eye isn't it. Had them on for years now and no issues with either one. Maybe I got the revised model.  :nixweiss:

Get her done and on the hiway before the late fall or early (hopefully not) winter sets in.
Cheers!
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »

No leaks on the digital "K" gas gauge at all.

Get her done and on the hiway before the late fall or early (hopefully not) winter sets in.
Cheers!
Joe

That's a good confirmation Joe.  Thanks.  Mine was a dozen years ago when (I think) they'd just been released.  The Kuryakyn guy said then it was "sometimes a problem" but was good enough to say they didn't have it licked it.  A dozen years gives time to make a correction or two.

Should have worked on something else today but wasn't in the right mood.  So got my head straight messing with the Road King. 

Spent a productive six hours buried in the harnesses.  Disassembled most of it to find and fix a couple of problems that stemmed from its accident.  Also made a few alternations (mostly inside the nacelle) to tie in things I'll be adding later and to make some separate disconnects for the turn signals so they'll not have to just hang off that six pin amp connector if the nacelle ever needs to come off.  Truly was one of those "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" days as the time flew by.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »

With the harness ready to lay back on the bike really needed to test fit some pieces for placement.  To know the harness would reach where it needed to and there'd be no rubs, binds nor other problems.  Of course (I rationalized to myself) to absolutely check clearance would need to set the tank on.  It wasn't that I just wanted the visual or after the long day in the harness and schematics thought I'd earned a reward.  Nope, couldn't be.

Oh yeah, its own handlebars got hung too....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »

Laying the extra pieces in place brought up a decision that had been put off until today.  The red handlebar cover seen in the picture above or the old (and now obsolete) chrome V-Wing handlebar cover?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »

It's going to be the V-Wing cover.  Prefer the sweep of chrome across the dash to the handlebar cover.  This bike is also in many ways an homage to my last Road King and that cover was one of its details.  Got this one NOS from a dealer's old stock well after the part had been obsoleted from Mother Harley.  Probably a tough piece to find anymore.  Seeing the two options one after the other made for an easy choice though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »

Used some second gen SERK parts that weren't part of our 02 and 03 bikes to begin with Joe.  Remember that you've done at least the ring.  That ignition switch is nice little addition too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »

Then we come to the first major screw up of the project.  Would like to say it's a Lenin thing, "one step backward and two steps forward."  But really I just screwed up.  Can't use the seat I was so pleased to score just last week.

With the tank on laid the seat in place and its interface with the dash is unacceptable.  It's a seat for SEEGs or Street Glides.  I knew that when I bought it but had convinced myself that long skinny SERK dash would meet the saddle pretty close to how the long relatively skinny SEEG dash does.

They don't meet well.  Humbug.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »

It's perfect on the red bike.  Of course it's designed for a SEEG so it should be.  I'm almost tempted to keep it for a spare seat for that bike.  But I like the look of the tan dual tour on that bike so much I'd never use the sole.  That bike has the black heated seat for winter and this solo isn't heated.  So it's not a winter saddle either.  Bugger.

Will put it up for sale and chalk it up SERK Project Screw Up #1.

The nose of the saddle just has to climb up the tail of the dash more to be acceptable.  Damn shame too.  This was a great seat too.  Felt great.  Would've been a comfortable all day saddle.  Nuts.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:21 AM »

That is the same way Val's old FLHRSE3 seat mated with the tank and console. I just made a nice leather trim peice and inserted into the console and under seat. So when if you are modifying the seat cover add a front leather tab to insert into the console.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:13:58 AM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »

That is the same way Val's old FLHRSE3 seat mated with the tank and console. I just made a nice leather trim price and inserted into the console and under seat. So when if you are modifying the seat cover add a front leather tab to insert into the console.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

Thought about doing specifically that Brad.  Still am for that matter.  Just not sure how much it will bug me.  Also thought about bending the tongue (that slides in the frame) down a bit so the nose of the dash could raise a bit. 

That was the last thing I tried last night.  Was bummed to find it not fitting as I'd hoped.  Too tired and didn't want to spoil the evening's good mood messing with it.  Will work with it a bit more before trying to resell.  Would be nice to be able to use it since it's here already.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 73

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.