Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 189415 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #525 on: January 05, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »

Careful with this if you're in Florida. They have a law that stipulates only two white lights of a certain candlepower can be used on the front of the motorcycle. I got a warning on an 84 Shovelhead for having my spots on at the same time as my headlight while riding down Main St at night. Had just come in from out by where the White Ea

gle is now and it was dark riding through Tamoka.

B B

Ran into that on my old Road King Brian.   I hzpoen to like the look of the housings up front on the bike and they are all switched separately.  The bottoms really are lensed and reflected as foglights rather than spots.   But still remember the old FLHRC making people uncomfortable if I accidentally left them all on.   

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #526 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »

That would be great Pete.  And absolutely appreciated.  Thanks very much for even thinking about it.  Will wait on ordering the new Kuryakyn part for a day or three to see what happens.

Found it!  Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it your way.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #527 on: January 05, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »

Found it!  Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it your way.

You're the bomb!    Didn't expect to get one.   This is actually the last part to get to put the bike on the road.  More than a bit cool that it gets topped off this way.   Thanks very much

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #528 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:09 PM »

Lookin' good 2lane!   :2vrolijk_21:

You're 90.46835% there.  Only 9.53165% left of this project and you make it to the promised land.  Would love to see this honey-of-a-road-king in person some time.

Congrats.    :drink:  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:13:59 PM by DJ56 »

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #529 on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »

Lookin' good 2lane!   :2vrolijk_21:

You're 90.46835% there.  Only 9.53165% left of this project and you make it to the promised land.  Would love to see this honey-of-a-road-king in person some time.

Congrats.    :drink:  

Thanks DJ.  You're close so we can definitely pull off a meeting.  When it's running soon (damn, it will be soon now) it won't actually be done.  But it'll be a completed bike.  Will still have to do something to finish this saddle or get something else.  Next winter's project will likely be the engine upgrade and, maybe, a six speed.  Bailed right now on doing anything with the speedometer other than using a plain speedo I already had around.  But that can be changed quickly and easily one a final decision is made there.  Will be nice to have the bike as a complete and running machine though.

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #530 on: January 06, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »

Well, all our scoots are always ongoing works-in-progress but your rendition of stage I is almost there...and that's a cool thing. :huepfenjump3:

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #531 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »

Hit a major stump this afternoon.  For a birthday present to myself was going to hear the engine run for the first time.  It's not quite ready to ride but it was far enough along the engine could be run.  No compression in the front cylinder.

Initially the starter would bump but wouldn't kick over.  No great surprise there with all the freshly painted surfaces.  Pulled all the cables back off, sanded all the surfaces, replaced an iffy looking negative cable and solved that.  Starter now worked fine.  This was good as it takes awhile to make up another red starter.

Then the engine wouldn't run.  It'd barely fire and sound a bit ugly.  But that's all.  Fuel pressure was good static and while cranking.  Since I at least heard it fire a bit tried a compression test before chasing electrics.  Especially since it was throwing no error codes.

Back hole was almost 150 on the cold engine.  Front hole was 25.  Nuts.

For now put everything that was loose back in place on the bike.  Just to keep track of pieces.  Going to take a break from the project until my mood is better and it'll be fun rather than a chore to work on it again.

When that used drivetrain came home six weeks or so ago I several times nearly had myself talked in to pulling at least the heads off.  But didn't want to get in to a motor job right now.  Just not enough time to do it right between now and spring.  Finding the supposedly good used motor and dropping it in was just the ideal thing right now.  Ride the bike this year and do the engine next winter.

Should've opened it up.  The guy's story was good.  He was a pleasant old fart.  He's far enough way it's not worth any follow up.  And when taking the rockers off to put on the red parts the top of the engine was as clean as a new motor.  There was enough going on in favor of it being as described that it overrode my better judgement.  Now will have to work things over in the bike and take the risk of marking things up.

Will try to borrow a buddy's borescope sometime in the next couple weeks to visualize the hole.  Do have a good set of heads from a 95" motor that could be swapped on if the problem is solely there.  But honestly not wild about the idea of just swapping heads.  Whole thing may just set again for quite awhile until have time to do the engine as I'd planned for later. 

Will, of course, have to keep my finger crossed that the engine's only problems are in the top end.  Have had the cam chest open.  Was clean in there and tensioners looked good.  But have to at least worry now about a bottom end problem.  After all, why would someone swap a complete drivetrain for just a burned valve?

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #532 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about the snafu twolane! Hope it's an easier rather than a harder fix.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #533 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »

ugh....what a downer for your birthday present to yourself.  I can feel your pain all the way out here on the right coast.  Walk away and, like you say, just do it the way you wanted to in the end whenever the time is right.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #534 on: January 08, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »

Sorry for the problem. Look at the bright side, now you can build the engine you want and
the whole bike will be new. This was a LONG term project anyway and you got two other
bikes to ride. So relax have a beer or two and chill. It's all good!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #535 on: January 08, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

Sorry to hear you were sold someone else's problem, Don...

If it were me, so I could sleep soundly at night, I'd do a leakdown test before setting the motor to the side for a bit... 

My curiosity couldn't let it go... :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #536 on: January 08, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »

Sorry for the problem. Look at the bright side, now you can build the engine you want and
the whole bike will be new. This was a LONG term project anyway and you got two other
bikes to ride. So relax have a beer or two and chill. It's all good!

Amen to that Mark (and everyone else :2vrolijk_21: ).  Bummed at the moment.  But, what the hell, it's just parts.  And it's not like I'm hurting for anything to ride. 

The damn thing just sitting there looking good and looking back at me will make me work on it.  The bitch.  Already have half an itch to take the rocker box (thank god it's the front) and make sure I didn't do something stupid like mix up the intake and exhaust pushrod.  Not even sure if the longer exhaust pushrod would hold the intake open enough to cause the problem as that's a mistake I've never made before.  But I'd not mind at all finding out I did something stupid. 

Trouble there is if it's not something stupid and easy I did I won't leave it alone at that point.  Will want to pull the head to look in the hole.  Then will want to go ahead and fix it all while it's all apart.  And that will start a parts collection process all over again.  That's all assuming there's no bottom end problem.  And that's all more than I've got either time or patience for between now and spring.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #537 on: January 08, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

Sorry to hear you were sold someone else's problem, Don...

If it were me, so I could sleep soundly at night, I'd do a leakdown test before setting the motor to the side for a bit... 

My curiosity couldn't let it go... :nervous:

I know.... Me too.  And will do a leakdown test right away.  Going to borrow that borescope too.  But don't have to borrow any tools for the leak down test.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #538 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

Everything was going too smooth, had to have a bump in the road sooner or later.
I'll vote on the push rod mix up  :2vrolijk_21: Maybe the SEEG has been busy in the wee hours when no one is watching  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #539 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

Everything was going too smooth, had to have a bump in the road sooner or later.
I'll vote on the push rod mix up  :2vrolijk_21: Maybe the SEEG has been busy in the wee hours when no one is watching  :nixweiss:
:huepfenlol2:
That was a full blown beverage spew Duane. 

I've got no vanity invested here.  Completely hope I did something incredibly stupid if that gives a simple solution.   Especially since it's the front I'm going to find out for sure in the next few days.   Can't not know.   
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 73

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.