Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 License Plate Mount Replacement  (Read 3880 times)

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

2016 License Plate Mount Replacement
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:20 AM »

I am quite sure I am not alone in hating the license plate mount on my '16 CVO RGU.  I am going to switch to a removable tour pack mount to get rid of it.  But what now remains is where to put it?  Since the '16s do not have the rear bullet turn signals, using the HD curved mount is out.  One of the solutions I have come up with is to use the Custom Dynamics Radius Laydown Plate Frame Mount and Radius Frame with LED.  I can mount it right below the light and above the emblem.  Kuryakyn has a taillight lens that will eliminate the license plate light.  It will require drilling a couple of holes in the fender.  Has anyone done anything like this on a '16?  I've found a few for '15s, but no 16's.
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: 2016 License Plate Mount Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »

I did it using a Kuryakyn plate frame with led's in the top of the unit. Drilled three mounting holes.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »

That looks so much better.  Exactly what I am thinking.  What did you do to eliminate the old mount?  I am going black, and could not find a Kuryakyn in black with LEDs.  How did you, or did you, hide the plate light on the top of the lens?  One other question, how do you like the bag lights?  Thinking about adding them as well, I like the look and more light is always good!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:09:15 AM by Maczter »
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

The old mount went away with the original tourpak mounting bracket, the detachable mount kit supplies a flimsy piece of crap that is placed under the brake light and squeezed together with the screws that mount the light to the fender. The led's are part of the bracket assembly and came like you see it. The bag lights are a necessity, once you take the tourpak off you have no turn signals.
Here's a tip, don't buy the kit, buy all the parts by the piece. The kit is cheaper than the piece by piece, but the bag/ signal lights only come in a red lens and after you buy the smoke lens you end up paying just a couple dollars more and don't have to find someone to buy the red lights from you.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »

Good advice on the kit and great minds think alike, I already priced them out separately.  I actually do not plan on ever taking the tour pack off, I really just wanted to lose that damned plate.  Had to do something similar on my '08 Ultra as the plate bracket was part of the mount as well.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »

If you can't find a bracket in black that you like, you could buy a chrome one and have it powder coated. I'm sure it wouldn't be to costly or since you're going for basic black, you might be able to do it yourself after a trip to Harbor Freight, they have a starter kit that's cheap.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

easyryder01

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »

Call softbrake.com and get their bracket that you don't have to drill anything at all and it mounts behind the center brakelight. All you need to get is a Custom Dynamics license plate frame with a tag light built in and you'll be done.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 12:06:32 AM »

Thanks a lot guys. You just spent some more of my money. Looks great.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 12:14:40 AM »

Maczter, do you plan on removing factory turn signals too or just the license plate bracket? I have been wanting to move my plate also but don't want it to cover half of the CVO tag that sets below it as some others have done.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »

Call softbrake.com and get their bracket that you don't have to drill anything at all and it mounts behind the center brakelight. All you need to get is a Custom Dynamics license plate frame with a tag light built in and you'll be done.

For the $50+ Softbrake wants for that bracket I'll drill the 3 holes instead.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »

The CD frame is a smidge too small....I can only cut my plate down so much before I lose a character. I'm looking for a tiny chrome LED strip to illuminate my plate as I am keeping the frame and Bright Ass taillight from Ruby
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »

The CD frame is a smidge too small....I can only cut my plate down so much before I lose a character. I'm looking for a tiny chrome LED strip to illuminate my plate as I am keeping the frame and Bright Ass taillight from Ruby
Check BAL's website. I had to get a different one when I traded my '11 in on my '15 due to the canbus wiring.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.